starting strength gym
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Randomnav lifts weights

Default Randomnav lifts weights

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Here is the TL;DR version- woman, mid 30s, started in June 2014, trains alone, been lurking for awhile and would like to take more part in a community that supports strength training. I have been reading a lot of the women's logs and found them really motivational.

Long version; I always thought to be optimally fit you had to do cardio like running and elliptical both of which I hate, especially running (my knees hurt just thinking about it!). The only cardio I could get on with was putting the incline high on a treadmill and going along at a moderate pace. I did this exercise 3-4 times a week for years and didn't get any fitter, all the while feeling guilty because I wasn't running as I thought I should be.
    Occasionally I would go into the free weights area and mess about with the 8 or 10lb weights. Had few health issues and somehow wound up reading about strength training, I was pleased to see that cardio was not the only way. So I started going a bit less on the treadmill and started messing about with 15 or 20lb weights.

In June decided to start this barbell business properly. I did get up to a 160lb squat but my form was bad so I am doing a SSLP and started at 95lbs.
    Deadlift is currently at 165lb and I have just bought a barbell and some weights to use at home for the press. Going to start at 45lbs and use SSLP adding 1 or 2lbs at a time as my upper body strength is lame.

Todays workout:
    Squat 105x5x4 (an extra set just because)

Thursday 13/11:
    My barbell arrived! So did OHP 45x8x3. Going to be pressing twice a week at home.

Today's workout:
    Squat 115x5x3
    I have submitted a form check to the coaches forum, as I was able to get lower but not sure if it is enough. I decided to do a 10lb jump to 115, from now on it will be 5lb for as long as I can carry on with that.

Incline walk on treadmill for 15min, had time to kill and just wanted to do something easy before bike sprinits

Bike sprints 70 seconds off and 20 seconds on x8. Legs felt suitably fried after that.

OHP 50x5x3

Sunday is my deadlift day:
    165x3x3

Last week I attempted 175lb and it was a train wreck. I managed to get a couple of reps up but form was very shaky. I am sure anyone who may have been watching me, has probably been put off deadlifts for life, I was that bad.

During the week, I re-read the deadlift chapter from SS and watched a bunch of form videos and one thing that came out to me was that my starting position was a lot more passive than I realised. I read somewhere that in your starting position, you need to feel like you are going to explode upwards. Also, I had been leaning too far back as I misunderstood where my shoulders needed to be. I kept this in mind today and was prepared to go in and reset to 135 and start my LP again from there, but 135x5 felt easy. So I just went for it at 165 and did 3x3. Everything seemed to go smoother and was less shaky.

I do find with heavier weights, I do not have confidence in holding on for a 4 and 5 rep so have been doing triples. I am not sure how good or bad this is.

17/11/14:
    OHP 52x5x3
    I am liking this working out at home, I can do random stuff like cut my nails between sets :-)

Today:
    Squat 120x5x3
    I kept my toes out a bit more than I have been doing, still trying to find my ideal stance. I also used a wider grip on the bar as I think I have been too narrow in the past and so have not been able to keep the elbows up as they need to be.

Bike sprints x 9 or 10 (lost count) 70 seconds off, 20 seconds on. I did these right away after squats so the first 2 rounds were not very sprint like.

Quote Originally Posted by randomnav View Post
    Sunday is my deadlift day:
    165x3x3

I do find with heavier weights, I do not have confidence in holding on for a 4 and 5 rep so have been doing triples. I am not sure how good or bad this is.
    If you progress with triples on the deadlift, then I suggest doing 2 sets of 3 to keep the volume close to what you'd get with a set of five. If you find it hard to do another set after the first (i.e. it takes a lot out of you), then you can take a bit of weight off the bar for the second set.

Such as

3 @ 165
    (rest)
    3 @ 155

PS - Alternatively, if you are just having problems with grip, try using gym chalk - I find it helps a lot!
    Last edited by kessg; 11-19-2014 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kessg View Post
    If you progress with triples on the deadlift, then I suggest doing 2 sets of 3 to keep the volume close to what you'd get with a set of five. If you find it hard to do another set after the first (i.e. it takes a lot out of you), then you can take a bit of weight off the bar for the second set.

Such as

3 @ 165
    (rest)
    3 @ 155

PS - Alternatively, if you are just having problems with grip, try using gym chalk - I find it helps a lot!
    Thanks, I used gym chalk (one of those no mess chalk balls) for the first time on that day and really noticed the difference.
    I have been following on your log- keep at it :-)

Today:
    OHP 53.5x5x3
    Yay for microloading, first time ever I have made progress in OHP 4 workouts in a row. Going for 55 next time. Made myself a cup to tea between sets.

Squat 125x5x2 then 115x5
    Felt grindy but too high so dropped to 115. I got feedback from the coaches forum to drop down weight again to focus on knees out and my ego is saying no. Blurgh! My squats are better and not as high as they used to be, I have real trouble dropping those last couple of inches, even with no weight or bar only.
    Here is my first set at 125:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvD8aPo5YDU

That depth is almost there. Weightlifting shoes and a tad more knees out and you'll have it! Stay off your heels. Weight on the mid-foot, bar path vertical.

Hope you don't mind me giving a bit of form advice in your log. You're so close. I couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by randomnav View Post
    Thanks, I used gym chalk (one of those no mess chalk balls) for the first time on that day and really noticed the difference.
    Do you mind telling me which no mess chalk ball? I think I'm reaching the point I'll need some chalk for my deads and a no-mess option will be good at the gym I train in.

Also, great progress, I wish I could train at home.

starting strength coach development program
    Welcome randomnav! Nice to see another woman logging. I agree with Adam, and would add that your squats are much better than the first ones you posted. Resets are tough mentally, but tend to really help your form improve so you can blast past your former sticking points. So keep up the good work!

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast