starting strength gym
Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: The Young and the Restless

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks, man. I'll get back up to where I was soon. But I'm off to the airport. Have a happy Thanksgiving if I don't talk to you before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Thanks, man. I'll get back up to where I was soon. But I'm off to the airport. Have a happy Thanksgiving if I don't talk to you before that.
    You too man.

Default Sunday, November 30, 2014

BW - 207

Squat:

w/u - 45x5x2, 135x3, 205x2, 255x2, 295x1, 335x1

working sets - 365 x 5 (RPE: 6-7, Rest: 8), 365 x 1 (RPE: 6); Strained hamstring.

Press:

w/u - 45x5x2, 95x3, 135x2, 165x1

working sets - 185 x 5 x 3; RPE: 5-6, Rest ~5

Deadlift:

w/u - (PC) 135x3, (DL) 225x2, 315x1, 375(f) - Hamstring

Notes:

The squat weights felt fine, but I think the lay off combined with being dehydrated was too much for my legs. They were getting a little stiff during the warmups, then on the second working set I felt a sharp pain in my right hamstring. I've had this before. I'll see how it goes Tuesday.

Well, welcome back. Hopefully it was just an adhesion popping loose, or something like that, rather than a for-real strain.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    Well, welcome back. Hopefully it was just an adhesion popping loose, or something like that, rather than a for-real strain.
    Well, my hamstring was fine last night but my quads stiffened up pretty fiercely. I should have used my foam roller after Sunday's session. Again, nothing felt heavy but in the interest of avoiding injury I just went through the motions last night.

I got a few monkeys on my back and didn't really have my head in the game this week. Had another death in the family last night but on my wife's side and I don't think we can afford a flight for both of us. I'm also battling some unsettling mood swings and I'm not sure of the cause. It doesn't help that if I miss just one week I feel like I'm losing a few months worth of training.

Anyway, I'm a little down but not out.

Well, my hamstring was fine last night but my quads stiffened up pretty fiercely. I should have used my foam roller after Sunday's session. Again, nothing felt heavy but in the interest of avoiding injury I just went through the motions last night.

I got a few monkeys on my back and didn't really have my head in the game this week. Had another death in the family last night but on my wife's side and I don't think we can afford a flight for both of us. I'm also battling some unsettling mood swings and I'm not sure of the cause. It doesn't help that if I miss just one week I feel like I'm losing a few months worth of training.

Anyway, I'm a little down but not out.
    Mood swings could just be from, you know, the fact that your life is undergoing massive changes, and you've had several deaths in the family, the US remains a crazy mess, and stuff.

And you're not losing months, you're just an early intermediate, that's all.

Mood swings could just be from, you know, the fact that your life is undergoing massive changes, and you've had several deaths in the family, the US remains a crazy mess, and stuff.
    Could be.

And you're not losing months, you're just an early intermediate, that's all.
    Also possible. I was looking more at the absolute change in weight lifted. I'm pretty sure that what bothers me the most is the stark contrast between the progress I can make when I'm training consistently and when I do something that takes me away from it. I have a consistent problem with coming back from interruptions. I realize it's probably because I try to jump back in too close to where I was, but I'm terrible at compromise when it comes to my own performance. To my own detriment.

Anyway, Thursday wasn't much better. My quads stiffened up again, even though I went much lighter. I ended up doing back off sets at progressively lighter loads. I'm not sure where to start next time, but I'll see what happens on Sunday.

Thanks, Matt.

Could be.
    The human brain is a weird thing, and it responds in unexpected ways to stress.

Also possible. I was looking more at the absolute change in weight lifted. I'm pretty sure that what bothers me the most is the stark contrast between the progress I can make when I'm training consistently and when I do something that takes me away from it. I have a consistent problem with coming back from interruptions. I realize it's probably because I try to jump back in too close to where I was, but I'm terrible at compromise when it comes to my own performance. To my own detriment.
    I hate nothing more than redoing something. Drives me crazy. So I understand the sentiment. I'm currently plotting my return to lifting in a sidelong manner, so that I'm not just starting over and doing the same shit as I was, and going crazy with frustration from doing it again for like the third time. Finding a productive way to deal with that feeling isn't easy.

Anyway, Thursday wasn't much better. My quads stiffened up again, even though I went much lighter. I ended up doing back off sets at progressively lighter loads. I'm not sure where to start next time, but I'll see what happens on Sunday.

Thanks, Matt.
    You watching your salt/water balance? Rip generally seems to suggest people take a multi-mineral supplement if they get crampy when training, and I've found in the past that it can help.

Default Sunday, December 7, 2014

BW - 204.8

Squat:

w/u - 45x5x2, 135x3, 205x2, 275x2, 315x1

working sets - 345 x 5 x 3 (RPE: 7-8, Rest: 8, 6)

Press:

w/u - 45x5x2, 95x3, 135x2, 165x1 185x1

work sets - 195 x 5 (RPE: 7-8), 185 x 5 x 2 (RPE: 6, 7, Rest: 6-8)

Deadlift:

w/u - (PC) 135x2, (DL) 225x1, 315x1, 365x1

work set - 405 x 5 (RPE: 6-7)

Notes:

Quads still felt weird, but managed to finish. Glad to see the deadlift was still above 400.

I hate nothing more than redoing something. Drives me crazy. So I understand the sentiment. I'm currently plotting my return to lifting in a sidelong manner, so that I'm not just starting over and doing the same shit as I was, and going crazy with frustration from doing it again for like the third time. Finding a productive way to deal with that feeling isn't easy.
    That pretty much sums up my frustration. I should have a clear period for the next few months, hopefully. Good luck to your next attempt, as well.

You watching your salt/water balance? Rip generally seems to suggest people take a multi-mineral supplement if they get crampy when training, and I've found in the past that it can help.
    I've never really needed anything like that before, but I guess things could just be different enough to be warranted... I'm starting up my food log again, let's see if a more consistent eating plan helps.

starting strength coach development program
    That pretty much sums up my frustration.
    You are young yet. You have plenty of time to back cycle and regroup. NOTHING is a straight line of progress to infinity and beyond. Accept for now you have to fall back to get a little better later. Life is a long march.

Page 10 of 51 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast