Thread: The Young and the Restless

Default Tuesday, December 9, 2014

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    BW - 206.2

Squat:

w/u - 45x5x2, 135x3, 205x2, 275x2 335x1

working sets - 365 x 5 (RPE: 7-8, Rest: 8, 365 x 3 (RPE: 9), 365 x 1 (RPE: 9), 345 x 1

Bench Press:

w/u - 45x5x2, 135x3, 185x2, 225x1*

working sets - 235 x 5 x 3 (RPE: 5, Rest: ~5)

Power Clean:

w/u - 135x2, 165x2, 185x1
    work set - 195 x 3 x 5, RPE: 5-6, Rest: ~3

Notes:

It's fun beating your face against the brick and mortar. Obviously I'd save a lot of time if I stop reinforcing failure and just back off.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You are young yet. You have plenty of time to back cycle and regroup. NOTHING is a straight line of progress to infinity and beyond. Accept for now you have to fall back to get a little better later. Life is a long march.
    Thanks Mark. It's hard to have the long view when you keep tripping over the same landmarks sometimes...

The advantages of going in circles is that you get to be really familiar with the terrain!

Your bench and power clean sessions went very well.

Reckon maybe taking a 20 pound jump over your last session was maybe a bit much?

Also, you gotta remember when recovering old ground that your brain (literally, your nervous system adaptations) remembers how to squat close to your previous max weight and will make your muscles do more work than they are really ready to do.

Have you considered using Izzy Norchez's advanced novice template?
    You're already tracking your RPE, and it might help get you where you want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    The advantages of going in circles is that you get to be really familiar with the terrain!
    Indeed.

[QUOTE=tertius;1016170]Your bench and power clean sessions went very well.[/QOUTE]

Thanks, although it felt like I could have gone heavier, it was nice to at least complete the session.

Reckon maybe taking a 20 pound jump over your last session was maybe a bit much?

Also, you gotta remember when recovering old ground that your brain (literally, your nervous system adaptations) remembers how to squat close to your previous max weight and will make your muscles do more work than they are really ready to do.
    Honestly, the big jumps have been pretty normal for me once I got a starting point. The delta here might be that I haven't really found a good starting point.

Have you considered using Izzy Norchez's advanced novice template?
    You're already tracking your RPE, and it might help get you where you want to be.
    I don't know if I'm familiar with it. I know you mentioned it in your log. Is it on powerlifting to win?

Chris Farley was a pretty damn funny guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Honestly, the big jumps have been pretty normal for me once I got a starting point. The delta here might be that I haven't really found a good starting point.
    Us regular mortals don't have such luck.

I don't know if I'm familiar with it. I know you mentioned it in your log. Is it on powerlifting to win?
    Yup. Can be got directly at link below. It's a damn nice piece of work, honestly. Includes a convenient excel spreadsheet calculator jobbie.

https://gumroad.com/l/JAoR

BW - 204.2

Squat:

w/u - 45x5x2, 135x3, 205x2, 275x2, 315x1

working sets - 325 x 5 x 3 (RPE: 4, Rest: 3); I decided that "too easy" is better than "not at all." I'll see what a 10 lbs jump feels like Sunday.

Press:

w/u - 45x5x2, 95x3, 135x2, 175x1

work sets - 200 x 4 (F, RPE: 8), 190 x 5 x 2 (RPE: 6, 7, Rest: 5, 6); I almost passed out on 175, so I think there was a psychological barrier to my first work set. I'll just repeat the weights next time.

Deadlift:

w/u - (PC) 135x2, (DL) 225x2, 315x1, 385x1

work set - 425 x 5 (RPE: 6-7)

Assistance:

Dips - BW x 12 x 3

Notes:

Quads felt less weird, but it still wasn't 100%. I'll foam roll this weekend.

Deadlift was fine, no struggle on anything.

And because I know you all want to hear about this: I don't recommend you go from less than 15 g of fiber a day to more than 35-40 g per day overnight. There are...interesting abdominal consequences for such foolishness...

Also: thanks for the link, Tersh. I'm reading more of his site to see what is a fair price to donate for the free e-book.

And because I know you all want to hear about this: I don't recommend you go from less than 15 g of fiber a day to more than 35-40 g per day overnight. There are...interesting abdominal consequences for such foolishness...
    I'm very sorry to hear you learned this the hard way. I'm not a fan of abominable consequences.

Also: thanks for the link, Tersh. I'm reading more of his site to see what is a fair price to donate for the free e-book.
    I think if it had better images and was typeset somewhat better, it'd be worth $15 easy.
    I've been tempted to lay it out myself as a way to teach myself LaTeX (which would be a very useful skill for me), but I haven't generated a window of time to do that in.
    And there's probably other things I should do.
    But the content he generates generally is quite good, and the book is a really digestible introduction to a lot of concepts, I reckon.

I'm very sorry to hear you learned this the hard way. I'm not a fan of abominable consequences.
    Yeah, I had to take 3+ bathroom breaks during my lifting session. Plus the general discomfort. Kind of annoying.

I think if it had better images and was typeset somewhat better, it'd be worth $15 easy.
    I've been tempted to lay it out myself as a way to teach myself LaTeX (which would be a very useful skill for me), but I haven't generated a window of time to do that in.
    And there's probably other things I should do.
    But the content he generates generally is quite good, and the book is a really digestible introduction to a lot of concepts, I reckon.
    His site is very well done. It's very clear that he's passionate about it, and I like his argument for modifying the distinction between intermediate and advanced lifters that Rip uses.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Just for future reference, the go-to answer for my minimal training / return after a layoff is some 1,2,3 ladders with a recent 5's weight: it's heavy enough to keep your strength where it should be without being draining or overly time consuming, and a good way to test yourself without pushing too hard - the 3 should be just slightly tough that you know you could grind out 5 if need be, but doesn't cripple you the next day and if you aren't where you were it'll just be a tough triple instead of a death-inducing 5 attempt. Either way you'll be in a good position to know what to do in a day or 2.
    I was trying to use the "when the bar slows down" metric, but I probably went overboard anyway. Ramping sets would probably be a better idea because of how my legs threatened to cramp up during my session. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Regarding the fibre, I say just go with it man (disclaimer: I lift alone in my garage, and take no responsibility for any ensuing social exclusion)
    Yeah, I don't hold it in between sets because I don't want to shit my pants in the middle of a squat rep. It's pretty funny, too, because the high fiber content makes you extra gassy and the high protein content makes it extra pungent. It's a great way to meet chicks at the gym. Fortunately, I'm married and my wife is usually upstairs on the treadmill.

Default Sunday, December 14, 2014

BW - 206.4

Squat:

w/u - 45x5x2, 135x3, 205x2, 275x2, 135x5, 225x2, 315x1

working sets - 335 x 5 x 3 (RPE: 6-7)

Bench Press:

w/u - 45x5x2, 135x3, 185x2*, 225x1*

working sets - 245 x 5 x 3 (RPE: 5, Rest: ~5)

*2 sec pause

Power Clean:

w/u - 135x2, 165x2, 185x1
    work set - 205 x 3 x 5, RPE: 5, Rest: ~3

Assistance:

C/U - BW x 15, 8, 5

Heh. Yeah, fiber is some important shit (so to speak) as you will discover as you get older. I've had to interrupt deadlift sets with a trip to the throne just to assure that there were no unfortunate side effects from a hard pull.

Default Tuesday, December 16, 2014

starting strength coach development program
    BW - 206.8

w/u - 6 min bike, lvl 10

Squat:

w/u - 45x5x2, 135x3x2, 205x2, 275x2, 315x1

working sets - 345 x 5 x 3 (RPE: 7, Rest: 6)

Press:

w/u - 45x5x2, 95x3, 135x2, 175x1

work sets - 200 x 5 (RPE: 8), 190 x 5 x 2 (RPE: 6, 7, Rest: 5, 6)

Deadlift:

w/u - (PC) 135x2, (DL) 225x1, 315x1, 385x1*

work set - 435 x 5 (RPE: 7)

Assistance:

Dips - BW x 5, 25 x 12, 12, 11

Notes:

Quads are still getting a little tight. I've started adding the bike because it's been a little cold and rainy around here, and I think that might require a better warmup. I'm trying to get back in the habit of taking vitamins as well, but I still find it strange.

RE: Mark - I'm glad to get into a habit of more fiber now that will hopefully carry over to when I'm older and it's much more essential, but I can already tell a difference (for the better) when I "normalize" on a higher fiber diet. But, there are definitely some close to disasterous moments during my lifting sessions. I've never had a rock solid digestive system, and multiple bathroom breaks during my time at the gym are fairly common.

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast