starting strength gym
Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Young and the Restless

Default The Young and the Restless

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Blandrick called me out for being a little bitch and not posting my log anymore (I may be paraphrasing), and I was planning on starting one soon anyway, so let's do this.

Acknowledgements:

First, I'd like to thank all the people who've helped me along since I joined this forum. Whether through advice, encouragement, or example. If you're new to this forum, these are great people to talk to and learn from:

Oldster
    Mark E. Hurling
    tertius
    snyderman3000
    Bronan the Barbarian
    John2336
    Subsistence
    Carlos Daniel
    blandrick
    jwt708
    Runner
    JC

And many others. Thanks.

History:

My first log can be found here. There's not a lot to see in there, it's actually not as long as I remember it being, but there was a deployment to Afghanistan and then a PCS to Okinawa in there, so that makes things interesting.

Here is where my next log picks up in Okinawa. It's got a lot more data in there, including my first powerlifting meet, but also a lot of gaps and spinning of my wheels. As a Marine I was forced to keep my bodyweight in check, and I had to train for my PFT or CFT every 6 months. I also deployed or traveled often, and, while I certainly appreciated the experience, that travel can really mess with your training.

Hopefully, I'll be able to stay focused and achieve some long waiting goals of mine. As the thread title implies, I'm still young, but I want to achieve some big goals before that description no longer applies to me.

Current:

Stats:

Demographic - Male, ~200 lbs, 5' 7", 30 years old

Best lifts - (Sqt/Bench/DL/Press/PC) 430/330/500/235/245

I'm out of the Marine Corps, just started a job as a Network Engineer, and I plan to go back to school for my masters in the next couple years. Hopefully, I still have this (or another) log as a record of that journey.

Goals:

545/365/600/275/315 @ 181

I'll take the lifts and the body weight goals separately as a consolation prize, but those are the numbers I want. I don't have to worry about passing a tape test for the Marine Corps anymore, but I don't want to have to buy a bunch of new slacks for work either, so I'll keep my weight around 190-200 until I can get near those lifting numbers. I'll try to drop bodyweight and maintain my strength afterwards.

Method:

Currently doing SS LP, will follow it with TM, and hopefully be in the ball park next year. To lose weight, I might add in some conditioning or something, but we'll have to burn that bridge when we get to it.

Good luck. Hopefully the Texas Method doesn't kill you.

Congrats on the new job and thank you for your service. Thanks as well as for the props. Not sure I'm worthy of them, but thanks.

Default Backfill

Key:

All lifts read [Weight] x [Reps] x [Sets] unless otherwise noted
    PC = Powerclean
    DL = Deadlift
    LTE = Lying Tricep Extension
    C/U = Chin-up
    BW = Body weight; I will try to track this and annotate it here, but for right now, I don't have access to a reliable scale.

My last log ended on July 7th.

Since then, I have moved from Okinawa, Japan back to San Diego, California. I joined a new gym (since I don't have free gym membership anymore), have grown a beard and a mane, and have started back up with the SS Novice LP. I'm following a Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday schedule. I picked that schedule because I don't want to have to change my lifting days when I start the Texas Method, and I know that I won't be able to fit a volume day on a work day.

Thursday, September 19th, 2014

Squat:

w/u - 45x5x2, 135x3, 205x3, 275x2, 325x1, 365x1, 405x1 (RPE: 6)
    work sets - 375 x 5, 355 x 5 x 2; RPE: 7, 6, 6; Rest: 8, 7

Press:

w/u - 45x5x2, 95x3, 135x2, 165x1
    work sets - 180 x 5 x 3; RPE: 7, 6, 6; Rest: 6, 5

Deadlift:

w/u - PC 135x2, DL 225x1, 315x1, 405x1
    work set - 440 x 5 (PR); RPE: 8

Assistance:

Dips - BW x 5, 45 x 3, 90 x 8, 7, 7; LTE - 90 x 10 x 2

Notes:

The squat single at 405 was surprisingly easy. And 375 seemed really light when I unracked it, but then I felt like I just stalled during the actual reps. It was kind of weird. Maybe I didn't eat enough.

The deadlift was more intimidating than anything else. I started re-evaluating my life choices when I stepped up to the bar. But once I got over myself, I just picked it up and it wasn't so bad. At least not until reps 4 and 5... Overall, it was a good session.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Finn View Post
    Good luck. Hopefully the Texas Method doesn't kill you.
    Thank you. One can dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Congrats on the new job and thank you for your service. Thanks as well as for the props. Not sure I'm worthy of them, but thanks.
    Don't be so modest. I hope I'm still as active as you in 20 years. That's something a lot of people let slip by.

Thanks, I've bookmarked it.

A mane?

I think not, sir.
    It's not a mane until you have to put it up to keep it from getting caught under the bar.

I'm back in that territory myself.

Good to see you back. And nice session.
    Hope the TM works for you without too much fuckery.
    It doesn't seem to be for everyone.

Well, it's certainly a lot longer than it has been for at least the last 12 years (and probably longer, because I got it cut like that in high school, too). I haven't been able to actually grab the hair on the sides since I was a kid.

starting strength coach development program
    Just came across this. We're are similar in height n weight...5'7" 200ish, close in age...I'm 35, but you are definitely stronger and you have been lifting longer. Its nice see that us shorter guys can put up some respectable #s. I'll be following.

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast