starting strength gym
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Training with no time to train

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Default 11-03

Squat 240x5x3
    Decided to train first thing in the morning to try to avoid my messy evening schedule. Mixed some brown sugar and half a scoop of protein in my water and went in to the basement to train. Squats went well but I fatigued quickly, I had a hard time staying tight on the last set. Had no energy left for the press, but will try to work them in after work.

Default 11-06 Morning workout

Deadlift 265x5x3
    Repeating the previous PR to get back into a training schedule after a crazy couple of weeks of flu and general unpredictable schedule. Based on Dr. GainzZz' recommendation, made a BCAA/coffee/carb morning shake and chugged it before lifting. It felt great, so I think I found a way to make this first-thing-in-the-morning workout work and should allow me some consistent training time.

Deadlift felt good I don't think 275# will be a problem next week, hook grip felt a little rough on my thumbs probably because the lack of pulling. will do some cleans this weekend.

Press 100x5x3
    Repeating this PR as well, I made all reps and a little easier than during the original PR, so I guess I haven't fully de-trained. A couple of reps had poor bar path, but I noticed and started grazing my beard on the way up and the presses were just popping up.

Default 11-09

Squat 245x5x3 PR!
    I think I may finally be back into continuous progress, my schedule has been a little less hectic. This weight felt good, I came across an article from Andy Baker regarding warm-ups so I changed mine a bit towards the workset. Usually I would do 45#, 95#, 145#, 195#, 245#, basically 4 even jumps. I did an extra single at 225# and the workset felt much better than it usually does, I think that "priming" your CNS to the feel of the weight helped. It did not feel as grindy as my PRs usually do, although I also started taking BCAAs as a pre-workout per Dr. GainzZz recommendation, maybe that was it.

Bench 135x5x3
    It keeps chugging along, interesting how on the video they look like warm-ups but felt heavy. Need moar weight.

Last edited by ravl; 11-11-2016 at 10:02 AM.

Default 11-12

Squat 250x5x3 PR!
    The squat keeps moving along, using the extra single before the workset is helping with handling the weight. My knees could be a little steadier at the bottom.

Press 102.5x5x3 PR!
    Continue the gainzZz, as long as I keep my elbows in front of the bar and pay attention to the bar path, it goes well.

Default 11-14

Deadlift 275x4 PR?
    Another morning workout. I think I need to insert the extra single before the workset on the deadlift as well. I could only pull 4, but shortly after I didn't feel exhausted. I think I just chickened out on that last rep. Need to use the hook on more warm ups as well.

Bench 140x5x3
    Bench keeps moving along nicely, although today I had a dull discomfort on my brachialis. Maybe I'm touching the bar too high up on my chest.

Default 11-16

Squat 255x5x3 PR!
    These felt really heavy, even the first workset. I was trying to warm up quickly, maybe I did it too fast. I basically would load the bar, do the warm up set, only rest for the time to switch plate and go for the next one. I felt exhausted by the second workset but I forced myself to at least try the third. I was convinced I couldn't make it, but I have learned on this site that how you feel and reality can be very different. I wanted the bar to tell me if I could or couldn't. Turned out I completed the last workset but it was a struggle, gave myself a headache I guess from the faces I must have been making. I felt like passing out afterwards, nothing left in the tank for pressing

Default 11-17

Press 105x5x3 PR!
    I needed to settle my debt with the Iron Gods for not eating/sleeping enough to complete my workout yesterday. So went in for my presses today, it went well. I have been feeling an odd dull, kinda nervy, pain on my right arm with both pressing and benching, it's worse when benching. It's a line of a mild, dull, electric-ey pain starting on my AC joint, going through my elbow and into my forearm. I think it may be coming from my squat hand positioning.

Default 11-19 :(

Squat 260x5,5,0

Figured today is the day I'll have a good workout. Sleep has been spotty, but I'm keeping up with the macros. Warmups felt great, like the bar was on rails. I set up with the bar about half an inch lower than usual, and it felt great. I wasn't goodmorning the bar. But then it began... started feeling this dull pain on my shoulders that got worse on the second set, especially on my right arm. The pain felt nervy, going down my triceps and into my forearm. I decided to call it a day, I did not want to damage my shoulders.

After asking on the Technique forum and reviewing Rip's video on bar placement, I placed the bar too low and it caused me to have to "press it" up to hold it. I've had some shoulder discomfort since, I'll work on my bar grip on my next squat session through the warm-ups and see how it goes.

Default 11-27

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 225x5x3

Getting back on the training after by shoulder-itis and the holidays. It felt good, keeping my upper back tight helps a lot with the shoulder issue, only one pinch during the second workset.

Press 100x5x3

Went well, should be able to jump back on the groove.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast