starting strength gym
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Randomnav lifts weights

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Didn’t get a chance to update my log this week. TL;DR version- progress on OHP and DL, squats are shit.

———————
    OHP:
    Tuesday 25/11/14 55x5x3
    Saturday 29/11/14 56.5x5x3

Now in PR territory with OHP. I did 55x3x5 once before and then the jump from 55 to 60 was too big and I only could do 60x1. MIcroloading doing it’s job.

DL:
    Sunday 30/11/14 175x3x3

I was totally surprised at how quick and ‘easy’ these went up. I read the following on the forum by John Hanley and had it in my mind:
    ‘plan to not think while you're deadlifting. Think the night before; think after the workset; self-cue during warm-ups, but during the actual workset you're fighting for your life.’
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...33#post1006833

Unlike previously, I set myself up, breathed and lifted. No hanging about trying to psych myself up and so losing position because I am taking to long. Had a smile on my face at the end of these.

Squats:
    Posted a form check in the technique forum and got some good feedback. But ….. I still can’t get low enough. I squatted on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday using ever lighter weights. I ‘feel’ like I am really pushing knees out to get low and it ‘feels’ low to me but when I watch myself on playback, I am hovering (just) at parallel or slightly above. Really frustrated with these.

HIIT:
    Saturday 29/11/14 30:90 hill sprints x6
    While I am not squatting heavy, going to increase the amount of HIIT I do.

Other news:
    Got a couple of leads on finding someone to check my form in person. Need to follow these up this week.

Today:
    OHP 58.5x 5,5,4
    The fifth rep in all sets were total grinders. Disappointed in missing the last rep as it was due to a lapse in concentration, going to reattempt this weight.

Bike sprints 20:70 x6
    I was aiming for 8 of these but ate just before doing these and seriously thought I was going to be sick so stopped after 6.

Squats:
    None. Going to leave these for a week as I was going around in circles, I kept trying slightly different bar positions, feet positions, foot angles and just confused myself as to what helped and what didn't.
    I have resigned myself that I am going to have start again from the bar only. Been practicing spending time in the bottom position and trying to get comfortable doing that but I do find it fatiguing after 15 or so seconds.

Other news:
    Went to visit a gym near me that I might join once my membership at my current place is up. They had one power rack, one of those half squat rack thingys and there looked like might be space to deadlift (but no platform). Plus acres of cardio of course! Going to get some day passes and try this place out.
    There is also another place further away I need to check out too.

Quote Originally Posted by randomnav View Post
    Squats:
    Posted a form check in the technique forum and got some good feedback. But ….. I still can’t get low enough. I squatted on Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday using ever lighter weights. I ‘feel’ like I am really pushing knees out to get low and it ‘feels’ low to me but when I watch myself on playback, I am hovering (just) at parallel or slightly above. Really frustrated with these.
    Have you tried squatting to a box? You can do it unweighted. Sometimes having something to actually sit to can help you figure out what needs to happen for you to stay balanced and squat down below parallel and then come up again. If you try this and it does help, then start using the squat stretch in the book (no box) as a warmup before squatting with the bar, to make sure you know what the right depth feels like, every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn Brookes View Post
    Have you tried squatting to a box? You can do it unweighted. Sometimes having something to actually sit to can help you figure out what needs to happen for you to stay balanced and squat down below parallel and then come up again. If you try this and it does help, then start using the squat stretch in the book (no box) as a warmup before squatting with the bar, to make sure you know what the right depth feels like, every time.
    Thanks for this suggestion. I have been practicing the squat stretch and I can now get just below parallel that way. But only if my arms are forward, as soon as I put them back as I would be holding a bar, I rise up a few inches. Anyone know what that means?
    I did go to the gym today to try the box squats and I could not find anything low enough for me to use.

Thursday 4/12/14
    Bike sprints 20:70 x8 and hill sprints 30:90 x2

Today
    Tried to do some box squats but there was nothing low enough in the gym to use. Tried some bar only squats and meh.

OHP 58.5x5x3
    A repeat from the last workout and made all the reps, will try 60lb next time.

Today:
    Deadlift 180x3,3,1 165x3
    My aim with deadlift work sets is do 2 sets of 3 reps which I did. I thought I would see if I could get another set of 3 but failed after one rep. Onto 185lb next time.

Bench Press 65x5x3
    I hadn't logged it here but I have been trying bench pressing again. I would like to train it but I am really not confident without a spotter. The very last rep I was a bit worried about not making it but managed to do it. Maybe I will try sets of 3 instead of 5.

Bike sprints 20:70 x6

Anyone know what that means?
    Do you mean that if you don't use your arms in front as counter-weight, you feel like going all the way down would make your tip over backwards? If so, I was having a similar issue, feeling like I was teetering at bottom, about to tip over and after reviewing several form checks I realized my knees were significantly behind my toes with shins almost vertical. Now I focus mostly on my knees, making sure they go past my toes enough on the way down and to not move them from the bottom until about half way to the top. Hope this helps!

But only if my arms are forward, as soon as I put them back as I would be holding a bar, I rise up a few inches. Anyone know what that means?
    It doesn't mean anything. Totally normal. I think this is the case for everyone, or almost everyone. The COM changes once you put a bar on your back, and the hands in front is just a center of mass (and therefore a balance-related) issue

Quote Originally Posted by ravl View Post
    Do you mean that if you don't use your arms in front as counter-weight, you feel like going all the way down would make your tip over backwards? If so, I was having a similar issue, feeling like I was teetering at bottom, about to tip over and after reviewing several form checks I realized my knees were significantly behind my toes with shins almost vertical. Now I focus mostly on my knees, making sure they go past my toes enough on the way down and to not move them from the bottom until about half way to the top. Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the suggestion, my knees are definitely not that far back.

I am seeing a trainer tomorrow so hopefully that will help my squat woes.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    It doesn't mean anything. Totally normal. I think this is the case for everyone, or almost everyone. The COM changes once you put a bar on your back, and the hands in front is just a center of mass (and therefore a balance-related) issue
    The laws of physics strike again! :-)

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast