starting strength gym
Page 15 of 184 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Papa Jerrys log.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You beat me to the question, Strega. I was wondering the same thing. I've tried the whole gammit of shoulder exercises the last 4 or 5 years. Even got stupid once and bought one of those ebooks off the internet. You know, the ones that say they are the Holy Grail for shoulder strength and health? I'd have been better off going to the local senior rehab center (tongue in cheek).

Strega and Old LA, here is a link to the landmine press.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BR38_ZKKUCs
    I will do them next week with 85lbs and try to build up on the reps. I was feeling ok until yesterday when I went to start my weedacker,stupidly I used my left hand to pull the cord and got a shooting pain in the shoulder . Ice and ibuprofen helped somewhat.
    Last edited by BrooklynJerry; 09-13-2015 at 07:17 AM.

Sunday 9/13/15
    Saftey bar Squats bar/10 95/6 135/5 155/2
    175/3 185/3 195/5 180/6 belt
    SLDL 145/12 190/8 no belt
    DB hammer curl 20lb dbs 6 6 6

Wed. Sept 16
    Shoulder is feeling a little better so I decided not to do any pressing. Just did some LTE on floor with EZ curl bar, V handle,pulldowns, and dumbbell curls. Some grip work to,finish.

Fri 9/18/15 115/5 135/5 185/5
    230/3 245/3 260/4 230/8 belted
    BBC 65 6x3
    Leg raises 15 15
    I thought for sure I would was going to get 5 reps with 260 but it didn't happen.
    Doing the curls hurt my left shoulder WTF.

Interesting watching that video of the landmine press. The trainer has way more ability on external rotation than I do. I can barely even be forcefully moved more than 1-3 degrees outward and backward. Not that it hurts when I try to do it or someone tries to rotate me outward, but the old delts just don't like moving backward. I'm a constant source of amusement in jujitsu when one of the other brown belts (an MD) uses me to show a range of motion limitation. Lots of laughs from everyone when the old tin man creaks.

Also the movement itself as he demonstrated it was interesting. It seems to look like a close grip steep incline press. The triceps are probably the biggest limitation to overcome in that movement. Thanks for posting it.

Monday 7/21/15
    Well,I think the left shoulder is fucked. Looking back the bench workout on 7/17/15 is what caused the initial injury when I failed to,get my 5 reps with 155. I know that warm up weights for most lifters but that's what it is . I've been doing what I can to work around this issue but think I have to take a break. I have been able to DL and sqt using the saftey sqt bar but I think I should rest the arms completely. I have a Hammer Iso Lateral leg press machine n my basement . I think I will have to use it for a few weeks.
    Yesterday was the deciding factor I took a step on some uneven floor, there was a 1 inch drop, as I went to catch by balance I felt a shooting pain in the left shoulder. This is the same way my right shoulder felt 20 or so,years ago.ago. So I am icing, taking some Motrin and using tiger balm balm,blu emu and Dr Watsons liniment to help ease the pain.no sense posting the leg press workouts,but I will,be reading the forum and following along with some of the logs,and hoe to be back soon.

Tuesday 9/22/15
    What a night, I went to lay down in my bed, and got the same shooting pain in the shoulder. This sure sucks. I had to get some ice packs and had a hard time sleeping. I am stubborn, i know I should go see a dr and maybe get a shot . But I know they will want to,send me for x rays then an MRI and I don't have the patience for all that. Maybe I should have a few drinks for medicinal purposes at bedtime.
    Last edited by BrooklynJerry; 09-22-2015 at 06:25 AM.

I would go to the doctor to see what I'm dealing with and then decide my steps afterwards. You may find time and PT will heal it. On the other hand perhaps this would not help at all. Wouldn't you want to know that asap? Either way, good luck.

starting strength coach development program
    I had another ART treatment and an hour massage on Wednesday. So far this week I didn't take any ibuprofen at all. I had some painting to do and my shoulders sure clicked and cracked using the roller. But it may have loosened things up a bit. I have been doing some shoulder exercise I found on YouTube from a site called White a Tiger,they sure cause a burn. I Have been doing the leg press and I will attempt to do the safety bar sqt and Dl next week. I am going to have to deload and will go for some higher reps. I will hold off any direct shoulder work for one more week.