starting strength gym
Page 32 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast

Thread: Papa Jerrys log.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Things not going well. After a poor workout last week, I waited till Tuesday and was going to sqt. Did my warm ups but my left leg and butt felt sort of tingling. The feeling of sciatica, been ther done that . No sense pushing on. I did some DB benches,and pull downs.
    Thursday 11/10/16 still have that weird feeling on my left side, so did DB bench, banded chins and tricep push downs.
    Today I will do some light reverse hypers, and take a mile long walk. Maybe I will try some light SB sqts on Monday with at most 95 lbs.
    no sense updating this log.

I see no reason to do squats anymore. Be safe.

I guess your right Shug,I am not planning on competing with anyone but myself .I think I should start doing dumbbell deadlifts. I had a trap bar but I gave it to my son . I had a hard time sleeping last night the tingling in my left side kept me awake. I took four motrin this morning and the pain seems to have gone.

I still have a sciatica problem too, but it's improved a lot. These stretches have helped me, give them a try.

Don't push it too hard Jerry. For us guys in our 60's it's a fine line between progress and injury.

I know how crappy life can be with an injury, went though a very painful experience in the mid 90's with a bulging disc,that took almost a year to heal. I wasn't to easy working as a mechanic like that,but had to dominate I had to do. I sure don't need that at my age. I did the stretches shown in the video that Shugg sent and did a complex workout today. I did two complexes consisting of reverse hyper, BB Press, pulldown, sldl, DB bench and Saftey bar sqt. Everthing for 12 reps no real,rest between sets. Took a 5 minute break and did it again . I will do again in two days and see how it goes, the weights are low but did get the heart pumping.

Tuesday11/15/16
    going to try something different at least for the next month. Its called three by three training found an article by Matt Bryziki. You do three compound exercises with no rest between the sets. Take a two or three minute rest and do it again. Repeat one more time so in all you do 9 sets. Here's what I did yesterday
    safety bar squats sixty five pounds for twenty reps, standing press forty five pounds for fifteen reps, pull down supinated grip one hundred pounds fifteen reps.
    I repeated this sequence two more times with a slight drop in reps on all the exercises.
    The next workout will be stiff leg deadlifts, dumbbell bench press, and seated cable rows.

From experience I know that nerve issues suck. We're all familiar with muscle pain and things like a rolling an ankle, bad cut, or breaking a bone but nerves are a whole other level of pain.

I pinched a nerve in my C-8 vertebrae shoveling snow in early 2015 and was a mess for 6 months. It's the main reason I starting lifting this year with such light weights.

Good luck Jerry!

Thursday 11/17/16
    Doing the 3x3 metabolic workout
    SLDl 115/20 16 15 DB BP 30dbs/20 16 15 low cable row 75/20 15. 13
    Did SLDL, DB BP, and low cable row 1 set each with no rest between the exercise
    I then took about 3 minutes rest and repeated th sequence two more times.
    I will add a little weight to all these lifts next time, the desired reps for the lower body lifts is 20 15 12 ,for upper body 12 10 8
    Have a Dr visit scheduled for next month I am hoping this routine will need with BP readings. It sure got my heart pumping .
    Last edited by BrooklynJerry; 11-17-2016 at 03:55 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Sunday 11/20/16
    Did the 3x3 metabolic WO
    1 round SB sqt 70x20. BB press 48x15 pull down supp grip 105x16
    2 round 70x 16. 48x 12. 105x14
    3 round. 70x 16. 48x 12. 105x 12
    No rest between sqt press and pull down ,about 3 minutes rest between rounds.