starting strength gym

Thread: Meet report, 3/21/2015, 1300@220

Default Meet report, 3/21/2015, 1300@220

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Yesterday, I competed in the EPF March Madness powerlifting meet at Gym Warriors, Peabody, MA. I went 8/9 for a 1300-lb total at 216.5-lbs BW. It was my first powerlifting meet, although I did IronFest last October, which kinda counts, experience-wise.

I've been doing more-or-less vanilla Texas Method since last fall, except that I moved the last exercise on Monday (deads early on, PC more recently) and the assistance work on Wednesday (chins/hypers) to their own day on Tuesday, mainly due to time constraints. I also do some yogging on Thursdays.

Squat. I tripled 445 in training. Went with pretty conservative choices on the platform, to save energy for bench and DL. Attempts:
    1. 445 - three whites.
    2. 465 - three whites.
    3. 485 - three whites. It was the bar + five 20kg plates on each side, which was visually satisfying.

Bench. Doubled 277.5 touch-and-go about a month out before switching to paused training. Went with what I thought were also pretty conservative choices, but they ended up being about right. Attempts:
    1. 255 - three whites.
    2. 270 - three whites.
    3. 285F - three reds (video). It felt good coming down, but I couldn't get it up. No one in my flight got their third bench attempts, which was kinda sad.

Deadlift. I tripled 495 in training. I went with my stretch goal of 545 (instead of 535), since it would get me right to 1300. Also, we were using a Texas Deadlift Bar, which is a lot bendier than what I train with.
    1. 475 - three whites.
    2. 505 - three whites. (video). I called for 515, but the bar was misloaded to 505.
    3. 545 - three whites (video). Double-checked the bar weight: it was the Texas bar (44), ten 20-kg plates (441), two 25-lb bumpers (50), and two 5-lb plates (10).

My 1300 total earned me first place in the 220s, and fourth place overall by Wilks (361.53), out of 22 competitors.

Nice lifting. Was the meet held in a basement?

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Nice lifting. Was the meet held in a basement?
    Thanks.

Hah, no--the gym is on the fourth floor of a warehouse. But the ceilings are pretty low, and the lighting was getting dimmer as the day went on. So it kinda looks that way.

Congratulations. Nice lifts.

Very nice job, Tyson. 1300 and 8/9 at your first meet are both solid accomplishments. Pulls looked smooooove; I like your set-up, it reminds me of someone...

Way to go, dude. Excellent lifting, congrats on 1st place, and 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Congratulations. Nice lifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Very nice job, Tyson. 1300 and 8/9 at your first meet are both solid accomplishments. Pulls looked smooooove; I like your set-up, it reminds me of someone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Way to go, dude. Excellent lifting, congrats on 1st place, and 4th.
    Thanks!

Congrats Tyson, it is always a great feeling to hit your goals. 1300 is a great total. Good luck on your future efforts.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by pkelly54 View Post
    Congrats Tyson, it is always a great feeling to hit your goals. 1300 is a great total. Good luck on your future efforts.
    Thanks pkelly