starting strength gym
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Iamsmuts' (Pre)rehab Log

Default Iamsmuts' (Pre)rehab Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm starting this log to document my pre and post surgery training. Five weeks from now, on May 5th 2015, I will have a first-rib resection. I won't be able to lift heavy for at least three months.

Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 220

I have Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and gave myself Paget-Schroetter Syndrome from too much overhead work. I had a blood clot on 6/27/2014 in my right subclavian vein. I haven't been able to do any overhead work since.

I started back on a novice LP in August 2014, weighing 191 at the time. My squat stalled quickly due to interference from running, but my deadlift and bench are still progressing every workout. I'm doing KISS for squats and advanced novice sets of 3 for bench.

My last training day for a while will be 5/2/15. Before then, I want to reach some modest goals:
    Bench > 300x1, Deadlift 405x5, and Squat 315x1.

My most recent worksets were as follows:
    Bench 280x3, Squat 285x5, Deadlift 385x5

My squat is pathetically weak from neglect, back pain, and running. (I recently won or lost? the thighs and bis contest. . . .) Perhaps a public shaming will help.

Since there isn't much information out there on recovery from first-rib resections, this log might be useful for others. Either way, here it is.

Default Current Programming

I'm currently on an advanced novice program. I do one lift a day.

Day 1 (M): Bench/Rows, Assistance, Conditioning (HIIT on C2)
    Day 2 (T): Squat, Assistance
    Day 3 (w): Rows/Bench, Assistance, ~Conditioning (HIIT on C2)
    Day 4 (R): Deadlift
    Day 5 (F): Bench/Rows, Assistance, Conditioning (HIIT on C2)
    Day 6 (S): Squat, *Power Clean
    Day 7 (S): *Power Clean (if not done the day before)

I'm going to substitute some of the HIIT for LISS, mainly running. I dread rowing and it doesn't seem to be keeping my blood pressure where I'd like. Though this might be due to otehr factors.

Default Friday: Bench Press

Bench Press
    45x5x5
    115x4
    175x3
    235x2
    280x3x3 (PR)
    270x4
    260x5
    225x10

Default Saturday: Squat

Low Bar Back Sqaut
    45x5x2
    115x4
    185x3
    245x2
    290x3,3,5 (PR)
    280x7 (PR)

For a little over a month I've been following K.I.S.S with an E1RM of 310, but doing it twice a week. I started doing an AMRAP on the last set and added a backoff when I got to sets of three. I'm going to keep with sets of 3 for a while longer. So, it's no longer simple. Either way, it seems to be working. My E1RM is now 325. Weak. Ya. I know. And I don't even buy it. . . . But progress is progress. At least I can now squat more than I can bench.

HIIT on C2 Rower
    :20|1:40x7

I hate, Hate, HATE doing intervals on the rower! And the squats plum took the tuck out of me. I couldn't get the estimated split times below 1:27. I can usually do a few seconds better on my best interval. Tired.

The feral cat in my basement slept through the entire workout.

Default Sunday: Power Clean

Walk
    2 miles

I don't consider a short walk to be a workout. I note it merely because I did it right before power cleans. Though I doubt it had any effect.

Power Clean
    135x3
    155x2
    185x2
    210x2,1,1 (PR)
    215x1 (PR)
    200x3,3

I'm not sure why I couldn't get the work sets of 2. I was aiming for 2x4. I gave up.

But I thought I could hit a new 1RM PR with a little more rest, so I tried 215 after 8 minutes. After getting the rep I noticed that the intermediate power clean weight on the strength chart is 217. Oh well. Next week.

The last rep on the second backoff set was ugly, so I called it a day.

Good luck with everything before surgery

Quote Originally Posted by jusmoren View Post
    Good luck with everything before surgery
    Thanks. It will be good to have this over and done with. I hate having something like this hanging over my head. . . . At least the deadline is working to putting a fire under my ass.

For sure. I know you said you won't be able to lift heavy for 3 months after surgery so what kind of programming do you think you'll be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by jusmoren View Post
    For sure. I know you said you won't be able to lift heavy for 3 months after surgery so what kind of programming do you think you'll be doing?
    I'm not sure what I'll be capable of. I'll probably post whatever I do here. Maybe I'll get some new ideas from the forum.

I'll probably lose 20 pounds if I just sit around. So I might as well do some conditioning. I figure that I'll run a lot once the risk of tearing myself open from a fall is over. It might make we weaker, but at least I won't go insane.

I don't expect to be able to do any upper-body work except re-hab stuff.

I hope I can do some decline situps. Maybe I'll be able to do leg extensions if I can figure out a way to tie myself down. Though I can't get enough weight on my setup to make it very challenging. And I'll probably do lots of pistol squats. I dunno.

I've seen some more aggressive recovery estimates for athletes. Perhaps all my recent shoulder and upper back work will pay off. We'll see. Then again, some people have really shitty results from this procedure. But my surgeon does 5-6 a week and says that they've never caused nerve damage or paralysis. Nevertheless, he says that it could happen. . . .

I hope to be running novice LP by the end of summer. It will be fun to make steady, quick progress again.

Default Monday: Would-be-Press

starting strength coach development program
    BW 219.2

Since I can't do anything that requires raising my arms above my head, this is what my would-be-press day looks like.

Inverted Ring Row
    (feet on chair)
    BWx20,15,14,14,14

Reverse Fly
    25x10x3 (PR ha!)

Lateral Raise
    30x10x3 (PR)

One Arm Dumbbell Row
    73x20 (per arm)

These are tedious. I can't get any more weight on the dumbbells. Barbell rows are too stressful on my lower back. Moving on.

Barbell Curl
    90x15x2 (PR)

Hanging Leg Raise
    (from dip stand)
    BWx25x2

C2 Row
    500m in 1:48

The weights felt like cardio. I was too tired to row, so I stopped. I had planned on doing a few 500 meter splits. Oh well. My legs are still tired from Saturday.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast