starting strength gym
Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Fatass rises for the third time

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I think you're spending way too much time between your valsalva/when you set the tension and when you to start actually pulling. You're losing steam with that static tension just sitting there.

Squat 230 x 3 x 5
    Seated OHP 95 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 265 1 x 5

Squats felt really good. Aside from some wrist position issues they went well; lifted off the pins on set one and put it back because the wrists and elbows were pushing up into the bar. In set three one rep had a heel-lift.
    SOHP went up, though felt slow and heavy throughout.
    I tried following vanslix's advice on speeding up my deadlift setup, but unfortunately the video is nigh useless as it's blurry for unknown reasons. From what I can make out it's certainly no worse than the previous outing.

Squat 235 x 3 x 5
    Bench 140 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 270 x 1 x 5

Finally starting to grind a little, although that may have to do with the 1.25lb burrito for dinner and crappy sleep last night.
    Squats felt good, though I'm rolling my wrists a little on the reps as they get heavier. The enormous paint-curling fart between reps one and two on the first set didn't help. I may have lost my eyebrows, and all the spiders are dead.
    Bench was good throughout. I have no idea why pressing lifts go so well all the time.
    Deadlifts finally felt heavy. Did that rock-back on all reps for sure. Forgot to use the cue PUSH THE FLOOR and pulled.

Squats

Deadlfit

Squat 240 x 3 x 5
    Seated OHP 98.75 x 5, 5, 4
    Deadlift 275 1 x 5

Squats felt AWESOME. The focus was on not rolling my wrists and bracing my abs like someone was about to punch me, and the reps just moved.
    Seated press was another story. First set had foot slip issues on both feet, and I missed the last rep; that was because I held lockout on the fourth rep to breathe, and the last rep got halfway up and stopped dead there.
    Deadlifts were focused on NOT rocking back, setting my upper back tight without shrugging before liftoff, and PUSHING the floor away... with dubious results. The rock-back is still there, but my back - especially the lower back - seems to be set up better.

Squats

Deadlifts

Squat 245 x 5, 225 x 2 x 5
    Bench 145 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 280 x 5

There was no chance squats were going 3x5 across and it showed. I did a pair of 2x5 backoff sets along with the top set to keep the volume up.
    Bench was easy; I could have gone another two sets.
    Deadlift Went up, but those were some LOUD reps. The felt good, but grip was starting to go on the last rep. The rocking back is back, for ill more than good, as it causes my lower back to round a little.

Squats 250 x 5, 225 x 2 x 5
    Seated OHP: 95 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift: 285 x 3

I've moved squats back to a top set of five reps with two backoffs to stretch LP as far as possible through the holiday disruptions. The top set felt really solid throughout. On the second backoff set I felt a pain in the middle of the right quad and it still hasn't abated two hours later.
    I backed off seated presses to 97.5 from the failed 98.75 and it was a good idea; the last rep make it up sloppily.
    Oh my sweet deadlift... I moved closer to the bar to see if that would help the rock back. It does help a little, but I ended up bailing rep four as my grip started to fail and the lift was all sorts of off.

So, changes going forward are coming. SOHP will be locked to 2.5 lbs increments and creep up slowly. Bench is still leaping 5 lbs a session easily. Squats are 1x5 with 90% backoffs and sitll advancing 5 lbs a session, and deads - if I miss the repeat of 285 - will fall back to once a week with an upper back day instead of the second session.

Selah.

SQUATS

DEADS

Squats 255 x 2, 3, 230 x 5
    Bench 150 x 3 x 5

I just didn't have it tonight; I was having issues with hand position on squats throughout warm-up sets and had to rerack more than once. It carried over into the work set, and I got two reps before reracking. I think it was more I talked myself out of more, because after the usual rest between sets I got three more. One backoff set after and I called it.

Bench went decently, with a foot-slip on the unrack for second set, but a touch of chalk solved that and three sets went. Set two had all manner of breathing timing issues.

Note to self: Massive chicken parm sandwich before lifting is a bad idea.

Set one

Set two

Squats 255 x 5, 230 x 2 x 5
    Seated OHP 96.25 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 285 x 0

Top squat set was very messy; bracing my abs is the key and I lost it on rep three and four, hard. The backoff sets felt hard with the last rep feeling like it was barely going to make it. Also tried to explode out of the hole, with mixed results.
    Had a severe foot-slip on rep 4 of set one on SOHP, but managed to recover and grind up rep five. The rest of the set was hard but focuses and worked.
    Deads, on the other hand... not leaving the platform in two attempts. That rock-back causes lower-back rounding and it kills the pull.

Video of squats, thus:

Squat 230 x 3 x 5
    Bench press 155 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 285 x 4

I needed a 'light' squat day, and 90% 5RM x 3 x 5 was exactly the ticket. Also used five-minute rests between sets without issue.
    Bench press had some setup issues with grip on the right hand; I had some problems getting it settled in just right. Still, very smooth even as the last reps slowed a lot.
    Deadlifts, my personal hobgoblin. Got four of the five I was after thanks to good advice from SStangl on my setup. Rep four got a little away from me, and it chewed of the fifth rep's chance of success.

Selah.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 260 x 5, 230 x 2 x 5
    Seated OHP 100 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 285 x 5

Quite the session.
    I was a bit dubious of the squats from the way 80% warm-up double went, but I needn't have worried. It was a bit of a struggle, but all five in the top set were decent. I really need to refocus on keeping my abs BRACED as I descend - felt them go soft and push out to the belt more than once in each set.
    SOHP I decided to go for 100 lbs from 96.25 after the 97.5 3x5 fail. All reps cranked up.
    Deadlifts, finally grabbed 285 for five. Had a little bit of grip loss on reps four and five, but all of them came to lockout without significant lower back rounding.

Squats

Deadlift

Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast