starting strength gym
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fatass rises for the third time

Default Fatass rises for the third time

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here we go again. Old log is here.

I've been ill for about two months with a string of upper respiratory infections, migraine headaches, lousy sleep, and work-related stress; this led to shitty or impossible workouts, a depressive episode, and eating poorly.

Quit my job. Got a new one. Sleeping better. Back on the right foods. And back to LP and five pound increments.

I may have to split up workouts to one or two lifts a day because the work hours would have me working out right up until bedtime. My experience with that is it gives crappy sleep.
    Last edited by I_iz_a_fatass; 09-10-2015 at 06:22 PM.

Squats 175 x 3 x 5

These were only okay; I was aiming for 200lbs, but that was very clearly not happening after the 165lb 2-rep warmup. Some definitely weren't to depth, and others I rocked forward onto the ball of my foot rather than keeping balanced. These will improve as I get back in the groove.

It's a long way back to 270lb squats.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    Squats 175 x 3 x 5

These were only okay; I was aiming for 200lbs, but that was very clearly not happening after the 165lb 2-rep warmup. Some definitely weren't to depth, and others I rocked forward onto the ball of my foot rather than keeping balanced. These will improve as I get back in the groove.

It's a long way back to 270lb squats.
    Getting back to a weight is MUCH easier than getting to that weight the first time. With your improved circumstances you'll be there in no time.

Squat 180 x 3 x 5
    Bench 145 x 3, 135 x 2 x 5
    Deadlift 185 x5

Squats first set was messy; I've picked up the bad habit of coming forward of mid-foot, which makes coming out of the hole interesting in bad ways. Each set for progressively better. My cue is SIT BACK; when I use that the hips drive straight up as needed.
    Bench was a bit overoptimistic for the first set. Three reps was all I had, and barely that. Dialed back to 135 and got the next sets fine. Getting a little elbow flaring.
    Deadlifts went surprisingly well given my historical problems with form. SQUEEZE and CHEST UP and it went right up the shins. Fourth rep was a little sloppy because I rushed the setup.

Squatting with quad DOMS that make you walk funny in a very odd feeling. Here's to hoping I'll walk normally tomorrow.

Squats 185 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 195 x 5

Squats went smoother than last time. First set is still the worst. Recracked set two because something felt wrong in the lumbar spine, but no damage.
    I surprised myself by bumping deads up 10lbs. Five easy reps. Fourth was a little loose in the lower back, probably from rushing the setup.

Seated OHP: 80 x 3 x 5

Quick, clean and probably could have started at 85lbs but given the encounter with bench press figured lower starting weight was better.

Squat 190 x 3 x 5

Played with descent speed on set two; a completely controlled descent works a hell of a lot better.
    Last set got a little sloppy with knees straightening before the hips moved.

Piece of cake. I'll have to let the lever belt out one notch soon as I've restarted creatine and the water weight's going on.
    And grass-fed angus burgers are fucking delicious, even if SWMBO doesn't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    And grass-fed angus burgers are fucking delicious, even if SWMBO doesn't like them.
    Amen! Preach it, brother!

Though I have no idea what SWMBO means. Single, white, male, Barack Obama?

Bench press 140 x 3 x 5

Slow and steady; worked like it should.

Though I have no idea what SWMBO means. Single, white, male, Barack Obama?
    She Who Must Be Obeyed.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 195 x 3 x 5
    Deadlifts 205 x 5

Squats went well; I get intermittently loose in the lower back out of the hole but it's improving.
    Deads rocketed off the platform; third rep I did a little jerk with arms instead of being set hard, but no damage done.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast