starting strength gym
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: CULICAN's LOG

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    Hence the name of my log. Plus, I'm not as witty as "Ready, Fire, Aim".
    lulz

Sunday 12/13/15 BW=181lb, Waist 31.75in, Kcal/day (7 day average)=2779

Overhead press (333) 3x95, 3x107.5x, 3x120, 3x110, 4x110
    Weighted Chins: 10xBW, 6xBW+25, 3xBW+45, 6xBW+25
    Incline Press: 6x135, 6x135 used a little wider grip on these, like my two backoff sets on the bench on Fri
    BB curl: 6x90, 6x90
    Reverse BB curl: 7x70, 9x80 (grabbed a 70 by mistake for the first set, thought, "Wow, these feel easy!")
    Weighted Dips: 6xBW, 5x(BW+45), 7x(BW+25)

No log entry today.

Lately I have felt very beat up come Monday's Deadlift session because I am not completely recovered from Saturday's squat session.

I have made a decision, which I am posting here (to prevent myself from weaseling out of it come Wednesday after work) to move my Deadlift session to Wednesday evening. The other days will be moved so that Bench is on Saturday, Squat on Sunday, and Overhead press is on Monday. This will not only provide more recovery time between Squats and Deadlifts but will provide 1/2 day more recovery time (48hr vs 36 hr) between my Bench session, which I have been doing on Friday night, and my Overhead press session, which I have been doing Sunday morning.

I am going to try this for 3 weeks and see how it goes.

Sounds like a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    No log entry today.

Lately I have felt very beat up come Monday's Deadlift session because I am not completely recovered from Saturday's squat session.

I have made a decision, which I am posting here (to prevent myself from weaseling out of it come Wednesday after work) to move my Deadlift session to Wednesday evening. The other days will be moved so that Bench is on Saturday, Squat on Sunday, and Overhead press is on Monday. This will not only provide more recovery time between Squats and Deadlifts but will provide 1/2 day more recovery time (48hr vs 36 hr) between my Bench session, which I have been doing on Friday night, and my Overhead press session, which I have been doing Sunday morning.

I am going to try this for 3 weeks and see how it goes.
    sometimes we have to experiment to find the right pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    Sounds like a good plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by lou t View Post
    sometimes we have to experiment to find the right pattern.
    Thanks.

After not missing a single training session since early July, I felt downright guilty for not going today.

Thanks.

After not missing a single training session since early July, I felt downright guilty for not going today.
    still beat up?

still beat up?
    Actually, I feel a lot better. Just got back from the gym (log entry below). The interesting thing is that while I felt fresh instead of beat up when I went in, the lifts didn't seem one iota easier. Even the light squats felt heavy. I suspect it is because I am off work when I do this session on Monday's and always eat breakfast or lunch an hour before I go. Today, I ate lunch at 2:30 and went to the gym about 7:30. I suspect if I had a small meal first I would have felt better.

Wednesday 12/16/15 BW=181lb, Waist=31.75in, Kcal/day (7 day average)=2782

Squats (light): 5x275, 5x275, 5x275
    Deadlifts (333): 3x285, 3x325, 0x365 [waited 2 mins and tried again and got it], 3x365, 3x325

Two guys in their early 20's were watching and one said that he didn't think that he could lift that much when he was my age. I told him, "sure you could." The other said that 325 was his max and when I did 365 he hated me but loved me because it inspired him to progress more.

Actually, I feel a lot better. Just got back from the gym (log entry below). The interesting thing is that while I felt fresh instead of beat up when I went in, the lifts didn't seem one iota easier. Even the light squats felt heavy. I suspect it is because I am off work when I do this session on Monday's and always eat breakfast or lunch an hour before I go. Today, I ate lunch at 2:30 and went to the gym about 7:30. I suspect if I had a small meal first I would have felt better.
    do you supplement bcaa pre and post workouts? There have been times when this happens to me, I will dose 1 scoop of karbolyn with 10g. of bcaa within 20 to 30 minutes before training.

Wednesday 12/16/15 BW=181lb, Waist=31.75in, Kcal/day (7 day average)=2782

Squats (light): 5x275, 5x275, 5x275
    Deadlifts (333): 3x285, 3x325, 0x365 [waited 2 mins and tried again and got it], 3x365, 3x325

Two guys in their early 20's were watching and one said that he didn't think that he could lift that much when he was my age. I told him, "sure you could." The other said that 325 was his max and when I did 365 he hated me but loved me because it inspired him to progress more.
    Good stuff...sometime without our knowledge we are the example others will follow.

I have been lifting for nearly 45 years. I love this sport, it is not just something I do. I has become a part of me. It is a big part of who I am. I owe a lot to this sport and feel I am by example, an ambassador. I hope doesn't come off wrong

How old are you? I will be 60 in 6 months.
    Last edited by lou t; 12-17-2015 at 12:06 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    do you supplement bcaa pre and post workouts? There have been times when this happens to me, I will dose 1 scoop of karbolyn with 10g. of bcaa within 20 to 30 minutes before training.
    I have been taking bcaa immediately post workout but I think I will have to take some with a carb source pre-workout on the days that it is more than 1hr or so after my last meal. (I eat 3x/day.)

How old are you? I will be 60 in 6 months.
    I turned 60 three months ago, in September

Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast