starting strength gym
Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris's Olympic Weightlifting Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    I'd quibble you just become better at sticking the landing. It seems you could equally hang a rope from the ceiling, hit that each rep, and incrementally raise it which would be a truer measure of your jump.
    Hey, I agree, but you asked for a rationale, not the optimal alternative for jump prowess! Plus my garage ceiling is low enough that I can almost hit it with my head with a full out jump. I'll be argumentative here for the hell of it and also point out that with the olympic lifts you quickly extend then flex your hips to drop under the bar. With a box jump, you rapidly extend your hips then quickly bring your knees up/flex the hips to land. More carryover mayhaps?

...really, though, I don't care about any of that and was just looking for something to do that didn't use my wrist.

4/10/16 - W4: D6/7
    Weight: 205.8
    Waist: 37"

Conv DL - 315x5 385x5 (all DOH)
    2ct pause DL - 325x5
    DB Curls
    Abs

NOTES:
    -DOH grip was solid with 385x5 - even held last rep a bit longer
    -skipping my OFF day to get back on track with my workout schedule; this coming week is going to be rough, as well because I will be on the road Thursday-Sunday
    Last edited by Christopher John; 04-10-2016 at 07:17 PM.

My two cents on the box jumps....box jumps might useful for a warm up or something, some small utility. But as far as transfer to dropping under a clean or snatch...idk...tallish box jumps you always jump forward to some degree, people usually curl their lumbar a little going up to the box...land in a little bit of a fetal position. Cleans you land with your back vertical, chest up. On paper they seem similar, but really going under the bar has a real different feel to it. The jump is different too the way and timing of extending your hips. I'd be careful with those.

I could see maybe doing box jumps to a short box just to work on explosiveness (short=you can put it close in front of you, don't have to jump out to it).

I have seen some programming Catalyst Athletics stuff where they do like a a fast/explosive triple back squat (say 65%)...them immediately transition into 3 shallow (short) box jumps.....RFD , blah blah....I tried that, meh...might go back to it sometime

Grip is getting strong. Doing any grip work other than just holding the last rep?

And I just realized Spidey has no mouth hole. How does he get the purple medicine in??? The web slinger can't be out of action sick.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    My two cents on the box jumps....box jumps might useful for a warm up or something, some small utility. But as far as transfer to dropping under a clean or snatch...idk...tallish box jumps you always jump forward to some degree, people usually curl their lumbar a little going up to the box...land in a little bit of a fetal position.
    Mike, you make some good counter-arguments to my hastily reasoned bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post

Grip is getting strong. Doing any grip work other than just holding the last rep?
    Nah, just slowly moving up my deadlift when I can do the weight for 5 reps DOH. I did buy these fat grip things when I took advantage of the MDUSA bankruptcy sale - might try using those next DL day?

And I just realized Spidey has no mouth hole. How does he get the purple medicine in??? The web slinger can't be out of action sick.
    Spiderman doesn't take the medicine, he gives it!

4/11/16 - W5: D1
    Weight: 205.8
    Waist: 36 3/4"

SGP+OHS - up to 82.5x5
    Snatch - 42kgx3x4
    Clean & Jerk - 70kgx3x3
    Front Squat - up to 135x3

NOTES:
    -super sluggish today, but it was expected without my rest day and only two meals removed from yesterday's deadlift session
    -got up to a plate on FS and said, 'nope. not worth it.' and shut it down - some medial pain in left knee as well as patellar tendon
    -this will be probably be my last week of triples with clean & jerks - will move to 2rx4s next Monday

ETA: 30 min bike ride - my wife came home from shopping to find me passed out on the floor and said, "let's go ride bikes." So I rode my bike for 30 minutes. Figured flushing the blood through my quads wouldn't be a terrible idea
    Last edited by Christopher John; 04-11-2016 at 02:25 PM.

4/12/16 - W5: D2
    Weight: 205.4
    Waist: 36 3/4"

Press - 125x5x3
    Pull-ups

NOTES:
    -skipped abs
    -did our taxes today

4/13/16 - W5: D3
    Weight: 206.2
    Waist: 37 1/4"

SGP+OHS up to 85x5
    Snatch - 43kgx3x5
    Drop Snatch - 65x5 75x5
    Split Jerk - 20kg x lots and lots
    RDL - 210x5x3

NOTES:
    -Right glute/hip a little irritable following Monday's workout - feel a twinge when I externally rotate, but not terrible
    -at the point where I need to stand on a plate with RDLs for full ROM
    -SJ footwork sucks
    Last edited by Christopher John; 04-14-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: whoops

4/14/16 - W5: D4
    Weight: 205.2
    Waist: 37 1/2"

Bench Press - 165x5x3
    BB Rows - 165x6x3
    Ab Wheel

NOTES:
    -alternated sets of BP and Rows
    -tried a STANDING ab wheel rep today after my regular sets; got arms to about 45deg angle in front of my shoulders, but not quite there yet
    -picked up some cheap MMA wrist wraps that I'm going to try on my knees tomorrow (just wrapping around patellar and quad tendons a la the Russians)
    -wrist a little better, hip a little worse today

4/15/16 - W5: D5
    Weight:
    Waist:

SGP+OHS - up to 85x5
    Drop Snatch - 45xlots
    Snatch - 115x2, 125x2, 135xX,1
    Front Squat - 225x3x3 (all 2ct pause)

NOTES:
    -on the road today
    -helped my friend learn full snatches; he's way more flexible than I am and can get a deep catch position in chucks
    -went a little heavier on FS bc skipped C&J
    -wraps made knees feel a bit better during but about same as usual after workout

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher John View Post
    he's way more flexible than I am and can get a deep catch position in chucks

Page 11 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast