starting strength gym
Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: A Year w/ Andy Baker

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    You are on a serious roll.
    Thanks vanslix! Given that this log has devolved to me writing an audience of approximately one (you) updates, many thanks to you for keeping me honest. Hard to believe we're at almost 100 posts here or about 25% of one year. Big testament to the skills Andy possesses.
    Last edited by jkolt; 04-05-2016 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jkolt View Post
    Thanks vanslix! Given that this log has devolved to me writing an audience of approximately one (you) updates, many thanks to you for keeping me honest. Hard to believe we're at almost 100 posts here or about 25% of one year. Big testament to the skills Andy possesses.
    Just because others don't comment doesn't mean they are not watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    Yep, I'm new here and have been following almost all of the logs pretty regularly. All you strong dudes give me motivation, keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    +1

Thanks all. In all honesty the log has been a major factor in the recent string of good weeks. Keeping a log is a well known tip but under executed in my opinion. Im finding a public log is also probably better than a private log for commitment purposes

Thursday April 7, 2016

Volume Press: 5 x 5 x 145 RPE 7 w/ about 2-3 minutes of rest.
    DB Press: 3 x 6 - 8 55, 60, 65
    Tricep Pressdown: 3 x Pump
    Chin grip lat pull down: 5 x 10-12 x 80 lbs
    Light bicep work

Going on vacation this weekend so will take a pass on the volume squats this week. See how that affects the ID.

Quote Originally Posted by jkolt View Post
    Thanks all. In all honesty the log has been a major factor in the recent string of good weeks. Keeping a log is a well known tip but under executed in my opinion. Im finding a public log is also probably better than a private log for commitment purposes
    Hell, it's the title of my log and it's done exactly that. It's kept me honest. I agree that it is definitely undervalued.

I'm looking at your programming and reading between the lines to get at Andy's thinking which led to a couple of questions.
    - I notice you're prioritizing intensity press but not bench. Any reason?
    - for the assistance pressing exercises, namely close grip bench and incline DB and to a lesser extent triceps, do you feel these are helping to drive progress or are these more for body building purposes?
    - why no dips?

Good questions.
    - We are prioritizing only one upper lift because many people are competing in the SS classic. Its also a nice way to organize a four day volume intensity split. Two Intensity days, and two volume days. Honestly, my bench is going up and feels really strong just from the moderate loads (3x5) I use after pressing. There is probably some carry over from building up my tricep strength.
    - I think the assistance work is helping, but not as much as the heavy pressing. I think the incline DB press is a favorite move for aesthetic purposes
    - My elbows don't like dips. Andy suggests them, and if you can't do them, he lets you sub in incline Db press. I fall into that category.
    Last edited by jkolt; 04-11-2016 at 07:40 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Monday 11 April 2016

Intensity Press (3 sets of 2): 170 x 2, 170 x 2, 170 x 2 (RPE 9). Came close to missing some on the first two sets. Rest was compromised by shitty food, travel, and weekend beers. I think this will go back on track, and wouldn't be suprised to see RPE fall
    Bench: 3 x 5 x 240 - RPE 9. Same story as above
    Close Grip Bench: 195 x 5, 195 x 3 (missed two reps). Same story as above. Rested WAY too little, and let some shitty gym citizen hustle me out without enough rest. PSA: standing close to me and staring directly at me makes you a dick (I always invite everyone to work if I'm going to be a while, but was so close to the end, I did no in this scenario).

Page 11 of 72 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast