starting strength gym
Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: A Year w/ Andy Baker

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Sunday: Volume Day

I moved Week three up one day to better fit my schedule. Monday's at NYC's gyms are insane, as apparently every bro's back and bicep day. Doing the volume day on Sunday will give me more time for rest as well. Note: I skipped Saturday's planned cardio. This was accidental, but I think it helped me prepare for having one less day of rest.

Squats: 4x6-8 @ 75% (265 lbs). Reps came in at 8,6,6,6. Not too bad! 5 minutes rest or so between set.
    Bench: 4x6-8 $ 75% (210). I think i slightly over estimate my bench and did these at 205. Reps felt solid. 6,6,6,6.
    Barbell rows: 4x10 at less than 135....gassed by this point, trying to "feel it" in the lats
    Incline DB curls: 4x10 w/ 20 lbs dbs, again trying to feel it.

Best lift so far!

Sunday: Volume Day

I moved Week three up one day to better fit my schedule. Monday's at NYC's gyms are insane, as apparently every bro's back and bicep day. Doing the volume day on Sunday will give me more time for rest as well. Note: I skipped Saturday's planned cardio. This was accidental, but I think it helped me prepare for having one less day of rest.

Squats: 4x6-8 @ 75% (265 lbs). Reps came in at 8,6,6,6. Not too bad! 5 minutes rest or so between set.
    Bench: 4x6-8 $ 75% (210). I think i slightly over estimate my bench and did these at 205. Reps felt solid. 6,6,6,6.
    Barbell rows: 4x10 at less than 135....gassed by this point, trying to "feel it" in the lats
    Incline DB curls: 4x10 w/ 20 lbs dbs, again trying to feel it.

Best lift so far!

Monday: Cardio

Hands free treadmill. 3 mph. 9.5% incline. 30 minutes. About 135-145 HR. Not bad.

Trying to bring some diet consistency to match the programming.
    Base will be 3 meals of 50g c from white rice, 50 g protein from top round steak. 150g carb base could go up to 250 or even 350 on a crazy night, and protein will probably be 200 to 250. Fat sources will vary with the protein, and I don't intend to add exta nuts, except by the random handful.

Veggies are both my main problem and my main solution: i need to cook them more and aim for some number. More on this later.

Alcohol includes beer, whiskey and wine at my discretion. Probably 1-3 drinks per day with the occasional big night. The big night hurt my lifts for sure, but never for more than one day.

looking good, jkolt! if you have some time on your hands I'd be interested in the "meta"-idea / plan behind your programming, if you periodize etc.

Hey Hydro-

The big idea is that I pulled my head out of my ass and hired a coach. I had a coach both in high school and college, and made wonderful progress. I've been "training myself" since college, and have gone basically no where, which has been made all the more clear by the fact that my annual fitness goals have been unchanged and unfulfilled for the past five years. I've read SS and PP cover to cover a few times annually but that activity primary made me a world class Yoda (strong only in my mind). So I hired Andy, and he'll run my training for the whole year.

Andy's plan, best I can tell, is broken into 4 approximately 12-16 week cycles. I haven't seen the full programming detail, but from what I've heard we will do two pure strength cycles, one "power building" cycle before the summer, and one lighter recovery cycle around the holidays. The volume, cardio, and exercises rotate a bit in a way I'm sure Andy has thought out nicely. As you can imagine, we're not straying very far the big lifts for sets of five, but there are some cool assistance things thrown in there, as you can observe in the log.

Tuesday: Light Day

Note to self - light day is a bitch and I should stop thinking of it as a brisk work out. Had too much wine last night, and hit the gym at 10pm.

Deadlift: 2x6-8@75% (300). Got two sets of 6 and grip was going -
    Light Squats: 2x8@ 65% (230). Phone died and did the from memory, so it was actually 235 for two sets of 6. AND THAT WAS HARD.

Gym was closing at midnight so I will makeup the presses tomorow (made this SAME mistake last week)

What is you height and weight?

Quote Originally Posted by mgb213 View Post
    What is you height and weight?
    Congrats on the weirdest inaugural post ever.

5'10
    200 lbs

Wednesday, Jan 20: Cardio and Makeup from Light Day

Press 4 x 6-8 @ 75% (135 lbs). Reps came in at 6,6,6,4....set this one a little high too. Wore a light velcro belt. Should have gone with the regular Best belt. Next time.

Cardio: Hands free Treadmill: 3mph 10% incline 30 minutes...heart rate around 140 on average.

Diet note: eating more carbs than I would normally and still feel leaner than I was 3 weeks ago. For the first time in a while, the strength work seems to be burning up a ton of calories. My shirt is drenched after every lift.

starting strength coach development program
    thanks for the explanation on your programming up there. seems like you made a great choice! and carbz rule. B-) good luck going forward

Page 2 of 72 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast