starting strength gym
Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: A Year w/ Andy Baker

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jkolt View Post
    Friday: Cardio

Hands Free Tread Mill: 30 minutes, 10.5% incline, 3pmh, average heart rate 140-145. This protocol is turning out to be THE most sustainable, linear progression for cardio I have ever tried. Even at 3.5mph my tree trunk thighs rub together. At 4mph i'm kind of like a trotting Clydesdale. Thirty minutes is also a really nice amount of time where I only hate it momentarily at the end. Its also just long enough to clear my head and usually have one useful zen thought.

I would say DOING Andy's cardio protocol has resulted in the the most surprising epiphany thus far, followed closely by the benefits of 7 minute rest times between volume squats. Thats kind of remarkable because I have KNOWN about this protocol, and not used it for at least 2 years, and probably even much before that. The magic is slowing it down, not touching the damn handles, and letting the incline do your work. Amazingly simple, and so easy to miss if you don't try it yourself for a month or so.
    I sound like a fan boy, but Andy really is a programming guru and his advice is well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    I sound like a fan boy, but Andy really is a programming guru and his advice is well worth the money.
    No doubt. Good deal at twice the price.

Tuesday 26 Jan 2016: Light Day

Has a cold and business travel so I officially missed my first cardio day yesterday. Shit.

Squats: 2 x 6 x 70% (245). All reps nice and clean
    Press: 4 x 6 x 80% (140). Reps came in 6,6,4,6. Really through the hips hard on the last set per 2.0. Doesn't always feel "safe" but it works. Don't call it a kip.
    Deads: 2 x 6 x 80% (320). got 4 reps on the first set. 1 rep on the second. Total utter fatigue. The presses drained the shit outta me, and work capacity is weak due to illness. Also, I'm weak on dead and they need more work.
    Abz: 4x10.

Andy sent me a block of 5 week programming today for Feb. Yay!

Friday 27 Jan 2016: Medium Day

Took an extra rest day due to illness. I'm not about 80% recovered, so I may skip a rest day to keep my old schedule.

Squats: 3 x 6 x 75% (265). All reps snappy. Feeling strong. RPE 6 or 7
    DB Incline Press: 4 x 8 - 10. 50,60,70,80 - didn't quite get 8 on the last one. Of all the non SS lifts we're doing, this one (and maybe the lat work) feels to be doing the most for me cosmetically. I also seem to see these in a lot of BB programs.
    Chins 2x8
    Lat Pull downs: 2x10
    Tricep Pushdown 4x15

I didn't do any cardio this week, but that was my programming concession to illness. Being sick and doing zero cardio made me feel fat. Too bad too, i was on a nice streak of cardio. Oh well, back in the saddle.

Sunday 31 Jan 2016

New block of programming from Andy. I will give a broad strokes overview in my next post when i have some more time. All you really need to know is that this week is a moderate de-load of volume, while still keeping relative intensity up.

Bench: 4 x 4 x 80% (220) no problems
    Press: 3 x 6 x 70% (115) - I've lowered my press 1RM to 165 which I think is more accurate.
    Dips: 2 x 8 - kinda hate dips. Used to get a ton out of them as a kid with high reps, now I'm heavier and they just feel a little uncomfortable no matter what.

Training Update: New 5 week phase received from Andy. First week is a moderate de-load followed by a four week strength and work capacity phase.

Main switch is from a 3 day full body HML to a 4 day Heavy/ Light split.

Monday: Heavy bench, light press
    Tuesday: Heavy squat, back / lats
    Wednesday: Recovery Cardio
    Thursday: Heavy press, light bench
    Friday: Light squat, heavy deadlift
    Saturday: Recovery cardio
    Sunday: Off, complete rest

Monday: Heavy Squat, back / lats

Squats: 4 x 4 x 80% (280 lbs)
    Chins: 30 reps total - took about 5 sets
    Cable rows: 3 x 12 - just chasing a pump. Prefer these to lat rows as the states goal is to "feel it"

4 Feb 2016:

Off a day or two. This should have been done yesterday (Wednesday). Should have also done cardio on Tuesday.

Press: 4 x 4 x 80% (135 lbs) - pretty easy. Press seems to be a lot stronger on low reps...extra rest probably helped too.
    Light Bench: 3 x 6 (5 - 10% off Heavy) (195 lbs) - again, pretty easy
    Tricep Ext: 3x10 80,90,100.

Subscribed. I also train at KSC but I'm older and lift a lot less. Started in June and loving it!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jld View Post
    Subscribed. I also train at KSC but I'm older and lift a lot less. Started in June and loving it!
    Welcome aboard! Someday I hope to get down to KSC and meet the legend in person. I somehow doubt my NYC big box gym has the same atmosphere...

Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast