starting strength gym
Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: A Year w/ Andy Baker

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Shin splints. A couple of recs.
    - Cut back substantially on the treadmill until you get the pain under control. Seriously, once these go to a chronic problem it is an absolute bitch to fix.
    - Do high volume, slow eccentric of, whatever the opposite of a calf raise is. Basically, keep your heel on the floor and raise the front of your foot all the way up and let it slowly come down. Repeat ad nauseum.
    - I think if you do these two things, you'll be back on the treadmill in short order.

Hi Vans,

Thanks for the input. I haven't been on a treadmill now in about a week. I've also been on a fair amount of ibuprofen / naproxen, but not the "full dose." In any event. the shin splits are gone. Hurray!

Can you help me out with the logic of the high vol reverse calf raises? I'm doing it now and i can definitely feel the muscle in my shins working. Is this like pin firing / high volume chins for creaky elbows?

Saturday 12 Aug 2017

Squats: Bar x 5, 135 x 3, 185 x 1, 225 x 1, 275 x 1, 315 x 5r x 4s, 315 x 3

Got rid of the shin splits with a week off the treadmill. Unfortunately also neglected the barbell work but making it up this weekend. One of the best parts of 3x per week upper lower split it how you can easily get 2 and maybe 3 days back to back in a pinch. Not optimal, but its a LOT harder than squishing a 4x split.

Feeling a little worn down - bummed I didn't get 315 for 5 x 5 but next time.

Sort of. Shin splints are essentially an injury to the connective tissue. And much like Achilles tendonosis, golfer elbow, tennis elbow, etc, it tends to respond well to slow eccentric movement. As to the mechanism by which this helps, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    Sort of. Shin splints are essentially an injury to the connective tissue. And much like Achilles tendonosis, golfer elbow, tennis elbow, etc, it tends to respond well to slow eccentric movement. As to the mechanism by which this helps, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    In high school track they told us to treat shin splints by making figure 8's with our feet while watching television.

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    In high school track they told us to treat shin splints by making figure 8's with our feet while watching television.
    My exact recovery protocol was 5 days out of the gym, lots of tequila, and copious work stress. Highly recommended, as I have no more shin splits. Exact mechanisms are a bitch to figure out.

Side note, Do you live in NYC garza?

Sunday

Bench: 5x5x240 this felt like beast mode. I clearly remember when 250 was a 1RM.

Press: 3 x 8 x 120 / 120 / 95

Quote Originally Posted by jkolt View Post
    ...lots of tequila, and copious work stress. Highly recommended, as I have no more shin splits. Exact mechanisms are a bitch to figure out.
    I've switched from tequila to bourbon but I believe the principle is the same. Never screw with a winning streak!

Quote Originally Posted by vanslix View Post
    I've switched from tequila to bourbon but I believe the principle is the same. Never screw with a winning streak!
    Amen. I am really enjoying the "Norcal marg" these days. Tequila + juice of one lime + seltzer. Its like GainzZz for my crushing existential dread.

Monday 14 August 2017 (Third lift in a row)

Deadlift: 135 x 5, 225 x 2, 315 x 1, 365 x 1, 425 x5 PR!

Backoffs: 365 x 5...and smoked. Was supposed to do three sets but I think the three days in a row has my work capacity in the shitter

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jkolt View Post
    Side note, Do you live in NYC garza?

I wish!
    No. D.C.

Your recovery protocol sounds far superior.

Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast