starting strength gym
Page 3 of 153 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: "Air Umair" vs. "The Cannon"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Weighing more means you have to have a higher power output to jump the same height as someone who weighs less. Same for sprinting.

You're the one making false equivalencies.
    Weight gained from lifting is force producing muscle mass...That's why muscular NFL players, albeit with much higher BMIs, can out jump NBA players easily.

I have no inherent advantage in the vertical jump being 145 lbs @17% bf. I plan to be 155 lbs @12% bf by the end of this.

Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    I will get strong--for my bodyweight. Not sure if you're serious about ratio-ing the jumps and runs though...
    I am serious. If you're going to use a some sort of ration to justify you not doing what it takes to get strong, he should get to use a ration to justify not jumping all the time. It's only fair.

Of course, the most fair thing to do is take an absolute squat number, absolute jump number and absolute sprint number.

Quote Originally Posted by blugold View Post
    I am serious. If you're going to use a some sort of ration to justify you not doing what it takes to get strong, he should get to use a ration to justify not jumping all the time. It's only fair.

Of course, the most fair thing to do is take an absolute squat number, absolute jump number and absolute sprint number.
    The terms were already agreed on and I have some contentions to your points:

1.The absolute squat number is governed by weight/lean body mass to a large extent. This is not debatable. Advantage- BMore.
    2.The vertical jump is governed largely by body fat %, not weight. An argument can be made that if you gain muscle and stay lean, the added weight will actually help your jump. Advantage -probably BMore
    3.Same thing for sprints as with jumps. Have you seen how muscular most sprinters are? Advantage- BMore

Also, I have to gain 40 lbs to compete with BMore on squats, but he doesn't need to lose any weight to compete with me on the vertical jump or sprint.

Original post has been updated to include all the boring stuff (details).

I really hope you guys stick w/ this and see it through to completion.

Quote Originally Posted by ud2o View Post
    I really hope you guys stick w/ this and see it through to completion.
    Me too. But I would argue that the squat should be judged by Wilks or Schwartz-Malone rather than a straight bw multiplier.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Me too. But I would argue that the squat should be judged by Wilks or Schwartz-Malone rather than a straight bw multiplier.
    Well that stuff's over my head so I have no choice but to agree with you.

As for the SVJ/RVJ portion of the contest, I'd like to see them factor in a how-close-to-touching-the-living-room-ceiling-with-your-head component as a factor for consideration.

Page 3 of 153 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast