starting strength gym
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Go Fast Greg. GO

Default Go Fast Greg. GO

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am starting this log to chronicle intermittent fasting while strength training. I am currently doing the 5:2 diet while doing a WFAC S&C template in order to maintaining strength. I have been doing this for the previous 2 weeks. I understand I am likely to lose strength in this process, but am happy with that consequence right now as it won't be hard to get back. I don’t want to go into a long winded open letter here. But I haven’t had much of a social life for a really long time. I am just now starting to really get out and make more friends and meet people again. Holy shit, am I enjoying it too.

If anyone wants biomarkers tested before and after any period, mention it now. If it is reasonable I will pay for it and include it here to include when I resume bulking.

This is to address this thread above in Rip's QandA

PJ Media: Protein?

Some of this is for aesthetics and some for health. I have worked with Jordan to go from 225lbs to 185lbs with excellent results and would recommend him to anyone willing to work with him.

I am even getting more attention from women for the first time in a long time too. I know it is in part to having more muscles and less fat.

I am 33 and 185lbs around 20% BF. I would like the body fat to come down to about 10% so that I can strength train and eat donuts and bring it back up to 20%.

My primary goal for strength training right now is to squat 400lbs x 1 or 350lbs x5. I know they are not equal, but that is the goal.

Full length bio:
    I entered the Marine Corps at 17, never having lifted weights. I arrived at Marine Combat Training and fell out of the hikes and had to be remediated. This convinced me I needed to get strong and quick. The only thing I knew of at the time was body building (god I wish the site were here back then). I also was to chicken shit to squat. Doing body building stuff, I went from 150lbs and falling out to 180lbs and holding my own.

I got out of the military after 5 years and started college. While in school, I let myself go and realized I weighed 200lbs after a few years. I don’t know what my body fat percentage was but based on what I know now, it probably wasn’t good. I was considering going back into the military and decided I wanted to get back in shape. I found The Hard Body Plan by Men’s Health and it makes the recommendation that one should start by gaining weight and then cutting. Similar to the general recommendation on this site. So I bulked naively to 225lbs. I did at least take the time to learn to squat though and made it to 350lbs for 5 (if I remember correctly) but high of course.

After school, I spent a year studying for the CPA exam and doing little training. At the end of that year, I was very unhappy with how I looked and was looking to cut. That is when I found Crossfit. I loved it in terms of the community, but I moved 6 months later back to Dallas/Fort Worth from Houston. My first year here, I was way too busy with work to really train, so I did just CF workouts when I could. My work schedule ended up changing and I was back in CF. I ended up losing weight due to a stress event before starting back in CF. 6 months later, I had a discussion a CF judge and member of their nutrition staff who lives here in Dallas. The judge recommended I look up Mark Rippetoe as I wasn’t achieving my goals.

I started doing SS, again not realizing or wanting to admit to the need to cut further. I made it to 325lbs squat for 5. I finally realized I needed to cut after going back and forth not wanting to gain more weight, and therefore not eating enough to recover. So I followed Jordan’s template to lose weight and ended up working with him for a period of time. However, the time and discipline commitment was huge. 20 hours in the gym each week and not really being able to eat out was killing my social life.

So now, I am doing 5:2 and a WFAC S&C template mentioned above. This is to give me flexibility for a social life and no other reason, so I can eat any where I want and have some alcohol and not be that guy who is on a diet. The basic diet is 600 calories 2 days a week and eating what I want the rest of the week. I will try to keep the protein high on eating days.

I will log this until it ends and I start progressing again using restricted calorie windows on at least 2 days a week. This means I will restrict my calories to a six hour window on at least two days but it will still be the required calories to bulk. The purpose of this is to prevent fat gains from being out of control and should give me some flexibility in terms of eating on my days I don’t fast. It should require still eating all the protein required to bulk on all days.

Repeated for funsies.
    If anyone wants biomarkers tested before and after that period, mention it now. If it is reasonable I will pay for it and put include it here.

Current relevant numbers:
    Squat was 305lbs x 5 when I started this but I took last week off and it is down to 285lbs x 5 but that felt like I could do more.
    OHP was 140 x 5 yesterday.
    I am choosing not to deadlift just because.
    I am nursing a shoulder injury so I am doing dumbbell bench press for 70lbs right now. It seems to be helping my shoulder. I’ll have to pay a coach soon to help me fix my form.

Belly button to belly button so far as decreased from 34 inches to 33.75 inches in the past two weeks. Weight seems to have stayed about the same.

Basic programming is
    Monday: Squat 3x5
    Conditioning
    Tuesday: OHP 3 x 5
    Weighted dips currently + 55lbs
    And BW pull-ups

Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Squat 80% of Mondays numbers for 3X5
    Conditioning
    Friday: Subject to change is DB BP 70lbs on each arm
    Dumb bell OHP
    Weighted pull ups

Weekend: rest for beer and other fun
    Last edited by Gregory Domnin; 03-30-2016 at 09:32 PM.

today I only ate crackers and probably less than 600 calories....fucking sucks

Squats 245 x5 x 3

Did more than 80% than monday because fuck you.

Conditioning
    Rowers 5 x 20 sec

Saturday is exactly why this type of program works for compliance. I had days like it while counting macros and they don't have a big impact overall but they are really frustrating.

So, I had it all planned out that I would get up and eat, get work done on the car and then get lunch and go to a class. If I am late for the class then I have to start over and pay for it again. So everything was going okay except they were late getting the car done. So I had to get to the train station, parking wasn't going to be good due to a festival near the class, and then literally run from the train station to the class. I missed lunch all together and then ate dinner at the festival. Macros would have been nuked. Again one "cheat" day wouldn't have been a big deal in the grand scheme of things and I under-ate not over. I would have preferred with this scheme to over eat. With Macro counting under-eating would have been preferred.

It looks like I will either fast on Sundays or move Friday's work out to Sunday. I missed Friday's workout and didn't catch it up this week.

This log intrigues me. Subscribed. I'm looking forward to starting a 'cut' this June.
    Genuine questions:
    Are you tracking macros at all, or otherwise using Jordan's techniques within the 5:2 framework? Just cramming down protein and filling in the cracks with other foods?
    With respect to the fasting days: Are you what the paleos call 'fat-adapted' at all?

I wish you luck, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Erok View Post
    This log intrigues me. Subscribed. I'm looking forward to starting a 'cut' this June.
    Genuine questions:
    Are you tracking macros at all, or otherwise using Jordan's techniques within the 5:2 framework? Just cramming down protein and filling in the cracks with other foods?
    With respect to the fasting days: Are you what the paleos call 'fat-adapted' at all?

I wish you luck, sir.
    Thanks, I thought no one would give a shit. LOL

Macros on eating days: the goal is to definitly hit the protien suggested by Jordan but everything else is fair game.

I'm not familiar with the Paleos. I'll look into it.

This is going to start looking more either like West Side Barbell for Skinny Bastards or the one lift per day novice progression listed in PPST3Ed.

Squats 290 x5 270 x5x5 260 x5x5

That first set did not feel good at all. The 5th rep felt real ugly so I likely won't go up next week or swith to an RPE set up so I don't hurt myself.

interesting log and I definitely identify with not wanting strength training to dominate my life 24/7.

If you'll be fasting you should learn about what Erok mentioned. Here's a good place to start: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-...#axzz44zONU3lX

Thanks foothills. I think they would sell more if they made it more obvious you don't have to let it dominate your life for the rest of your life in order to benefit. That is what they (the coaches and Mark) in fact think. This would lead to more people benefiting from strength training too I believe.

Yesterday.
    Press 142.5 5x5x4
    Dips 6x7x6 +55lbs
    Pull Ups 10-10-5 but the last session was rushed as I had an evening obligation and needed to go.

Days like this are when Macro counting is probably better because of the forced discipline. So, for lunch I just ate whatever at the company cafeteria. I didn't think about dinner because I wasn't paying attention. Next thing I know, I am at the gym and needing to hurry up and also realizing I might not be able to eat dinner. Damn it. So, I end up eating Taco Cabana just to get some calories at near 11:00 at night. Had I been thinking about my macros none of this would have been an issue as I would have thought about it ahead of time and likely had cooked both lunch and dinner.

starting strength coach development program
    Yesterday mornings weight was 181 and this morning was 179.9. Wednesday is a fasting day. Also, belly button to belly button was 33.5.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast