starting strength gym
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jake's Log

Default Jake's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been reading this site for almost three years, this is my first attempt at social media. Obligatory stuff follows.

6'5"

270-280 (I don't own a scale)

Fairly mediocre, and probably familiar, background: got into barbell "training," discovered Starting Strength, "did" Starting Strength, moved on to something else when I could have stuck it out and still made progress, etc. etc. Then, broke my left clavicle snowboarding this winter, which gave me an opportunity to LP the lifts again, with success. Logging now for accountability, that kind of thing.

Best Lifts of varying degrees:

Squat 365x5

Press 200x1, 180x5

Deadlift 420x5

Power Clean 245x3x5

Power Snatch 180

C&J 260

My goals for the end of the year, which realistically means mid-November, are as follows:

Squat 405x5, 450x1

Press 225

Deadlift 500

Power Clean 315

TBR 1.68 (29.5:17.5; what's the golden ratio for this?)

Currently running out LP on Squat and Deadlift. Due to the fracture, I couldn't press or chin, but am able to add that back in currently.
    Last edited by JakeN; 04-29-2016 at 09:08 PM.

Since the fracture, which really wasn't that bad at all, I was able to deadlift light after about two weeks. Three weeks I was back to 315 for 5. This presented a good opportunity to finally use the hook consistently. Was able to start squatting again about 4 weeks ago. Still no cleans, though I can still get 225 easily, but contact with the previously injured area is not pleasant. So, figured I'd just LP until I couldn't, started squatting 275x5x3, added 20, then 10, then 5 lbs. Same with Deadlifts at 315. This past week:

Monday
    Squat 345x5x3

Wednesday
    Light Squat 275x5x2
    Press 105x5x3 (first press workout for ~9 weeks)
    Deadlift 390x5

Friday
    Squat 350x5x3 (repxset PR)
    Bench Press 185x5, 155x5x2
    --My bench is not really a bench, but I'm confident it won't lead to my early death. Squats are starting to feel 'tough,' but aren't 'hard' if that makes any sense. Funny that this is higher weight for more sets across than I've accomplished before. I'm sure I'll have the opportunity in the future to prove my stupidity again.
    Last edited by JakeN; 04-30-2016 at 09:26 AM. Reason: added squat vid

Monday May 2nd
    Squats 355x5x3
    Press 125x5x3
    Deadlift 395x5
    BONUS 225 power clean because it's easier to clean the plates up

--Some of these reps were better than others. All felt fine. Except for the deadlifts, specifically my thumbs. Since hooking, I really don't notice fatigue anywhere else during the set, as if all the nerve endings in my body have slithered their way into the tips of my thumbs. I don't imagine this ever gets 'better' but as long as it doesn't get worse I think I can manage.

Any advice or observations welcome.

Tuesday May 3
    Conditioning: shoveling concrete debris into two 5gal buckets, farmer walking them 40 ft to a dumpster, and cleaning them over the side x 100

Wednesday May 4
    Light Squats 285x5x2 (beltless)
    Bench Press 185x5x3
    Power Cleans 225x3x2
    --Fine. Was too greedy on cleans, should have started ~20lbs lighter. Form got sloppy and then I dinged the clav on the last rep, so I called it there. Next week should be better.

Friday May 6
    Squats 360x5x3
    Press 135x5x3 (first set 2.0, after that 1.1)
    Deadlift 400x5
    --Squats felt pretty okay. Kinda depressing how tough 135 felt on the press, but I'll get back up to where I was quickly. Probably time to drop to 5lb increases on that. Deads were okay too, though mighta hitched the last rep. When setting the bar down, I got into a bad habit of bending at the knees first, it's a little better now but still not very good. Will review the material to unfuck this.

Tomorrow will also be the second day of breaking up my concrete driveway. I did 2/3s of it two weeks ago, by the time the day was over my hands were claws and I couldn't really close them. But I ate as much as I could the next two days and slept in Sunday morning and was fine for my next workout on Monday. We'll see how/if this affects me this time around.

Monday May 9
    Squats 365x5x3
    Bench 195x5x3
    Cleans: Nope

--Squats were pretty ugly. Will do topset and backoffs going forward. Still, 365 was my best set of 5 previously, so I'm happy. [Insert Excuse] for cleans.

Wednesday May 11
    Light Squats 295x5x3
    Press 140x5x3
    DL 405x5
    --Everything went well. I've been trying to press 2.0 for all my reps and did successfully today. My thumbs still hurt like hell hooking the deadlift. Maybe I should try tape.

Also, my belt now fits as tight on the fourth hole as it did previously on the fifth hole. I've been neglecting conditioning on purpose, I need to get in the habit of doing it, starting next week, so I don't start neglecting it on accident.

Nice work. I started to hook grip my deadlifts again. It's been ~15 hours and my thumbs still hurt. I'm thinking about trying tape as well.

That being said, it's much easier on my York Power bar (same as B&R 1.0) than on a TPB.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeN View Post
    Monday May 9
    Squats 365x5x3
    Video: My Edited Video - YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    Nice work. I started to hook grip my deadlifts again. It's been ~15 hours and my thumbs still hurt. I'm thinking about trying tape as well.

That being said, it's much easier on my York Power bar (same as B&R 1.0) than on a TPB.
    Thanks. I never felt right using mixed grip, and I'm pretty sure I mildly sprained (?) my SI joint windmilling with the bar last time I used it, so the thumbs will be sacrificed in lieu of the back. If you do try the tape let me know what you think.
    Last edited by JakeN; 05-11-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast