starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: solltaire's log

Default solltaire's log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am 46 yrs. old. I am 5'10". I weigh about 170lbs.
    I've trained on and off for years. Mostly in my garage. I've usually defeated myself by not wanting to put weight on.
    I do not have a squat rack, so currently I do one set of 20 squats with a weight I can clean.

My weights are in kgs, but I'll convert to lbs here.

So ... this was yesterday.

Squat: 1x20 135lbs
    Press: 3x5 88lbs
    Power Clean: Did a few sets trying to check my technique. Worked up to using 88lbs for 5.

On my last set of deadlifts (last week), I managed 220lbs for 5.
    My bench is terrible as I don't have a bench.
    I usually floor-press, somewhere in the region of 110lbs, but less if I use dumbbells (which I know I should, for safety).

I usually throw in a set of barbell rows, just to make up for the general inadequacy of my workout!

My bar is only rated for 100kg / 220lbs so I may have to go back to a local gym to continue improving my deadlifts.
    I will also be able to do some heavier squats in a rack. Oh, and bench-press properly.

Anyway ... my main reason for posting this is to give myself a reference point.
    I am now eating a lot more than I had been doing and want to put on 30-40lbs so I can get stronger.

Great dedication to getting stronger, many would use no bench or squat rack as a reason to quit right off the bat. Definitely get yourself to the gym though if that's an option, there's no question your lifts will improve dramatically faster training there.

We're probably at similar levels on lifts. I, too, have trained on and off for a long time but sadly my "off" periods were always a lot longer than my "on" ones, so I spun my wheels for years and didn't get enough food to put on mass either.

Thanks for your positive comment Mark! I appreciate it.

I have an underactive thyroid, which has contributed to my off periods.
    I was definitely getting stuck at around 120lbs for my "clean and then do 20 squats" approach until I started eating more.
    Anyway, added a bit to my lifts today, despite feeling tired (very hot weather in the UK and I didn't sleep well).

Not listing warm-up sets, but I did do them ...

Squat: 137lbs x 20
    Dumbbell Bench: 92 x 3 x 5
    Row: 107 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift: 226 x5

This morning:

Squat: 20 x 140lbs
    (I "wobbled" a bit getting this over my head after cleaning it - hopefully I won't be too sore tomorrow.)

Row 3 x 5 x 107lbs
    (Did not add weight to this exercise - maybe next time.)

Press 3 x 5 x 90lbs
    (Stayed on the same weight again, still v. challenging. May up it next time.)

Deadlift 5 x 231lbs
    (Now over what my bar is rated for (100kg) and running out of plates. Need to join a gym!)

Pleased with this session. Side felt a bit achy as I did my deadlifts due to that wobble on the squats. I need to join a gym so I can be safe.

Also thinking about buying a belt ...

You should find a gym to train at before you injure yourself.
    Last edited by puny_englishman; 07-23-2016 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by puny_englishman View Post
    You should find a gym to train at before you injure yourself.
    Yes, I am going to do that. Found a place near where I work and I am aiming to go there this lunchtime and see if I can fit in squats & deadlifts.

Did half of my workout this morning at home ...

Rows 3 x 5 x 110lbs.
    Up slightly from last time, felt okay.

Press 3 x 5 x 94lbs.
    Up by a few pounds from last workout. Felt very hard.

Bodyweight this morning: 172lbs. I have gained a couple of pounds since I last weighed myself (about a week ago).

Edit

Got down to the gym at lunchtime.

Deadlift 5x220lbs.
    This felt harder than deadlifts at home, maybe due to the start position of the bar. Felt like grip was failing on last rep, but I reset it and got the rep.

Squat 3x5x187lbs.
    I did two sets at 186lbs, thinking that was a good work weight, but then decided to add a little bit more. Challenging on the last rep - felt like a good session.

Assistance
    Dips 3x10
    I shall try these with a weighted belt next time.

Chin-ups 2x7
    Was running out of time, or could have put another in. Note to self: do these in between squat sets.

All in all I was happy with this. I was still getting a feel for the place as it was my first visit. Had to wait for a guy who was squatting when I arrived, but that was okay. It wasn't busy really.

One thing I may have difficulty is finding smaller weights to make incremental progress. They do have (some) 2.5kg plates, and I have a pair of 0.5kgs that I will take as soon as this becomes an issue.
    Last edited by solitaire; 07-25-2016 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Added lunch-hour workout

I take it you have a standard 1" standard exercise bar at home rather than an Olympic Bar? If so I wouldn't be too concerned with deadlifting more than what it is rated for if you need to deadlift at home although of course an Olympic set would be preferable in the long run.

Nice efforts by the way, look forward to seeing your progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    I take it you have a standard 1" standard exercise bar at home rather than an Olympic Bar? If so I wouldn't be too concerned with deadlifting more than what it is rated for if you need to deadlift at home although of course an Olympic set would be preferable in the long run.

Nice efforts by the way, look forward to seeing your progress!

Thanks very much Chris. I felt like a bit of a noob in the gym! But I got on with my workout and felt more comfortable by the time I had finished.

It's good to know that I can probably trust my home bar with a bit more weight, but not much more will actually fit on the thing!

I haven't worked with Olympic bars very much and I was wondering why the 100kg pull I did yesterday challenged me as much as it did. Then I thought that the longer bar must add to the instability and therefore would challenge my grip more. Anyway, I am hoping to stick at it this time and get some steady progress in.

Also just ordered myself some 1.25kg Oly plates so I can make those incremental steps.

Mark
    Last edited by solitaire; 07-26-2016 at 03:27 AM. Reason: brain not working

Oly bars definitely feel different, even for a relatively short range lift like the Dead - depending on the diameter of the plates you use at home the initial height was probably different as well, which even if it is actually higher at the gym could certainly throw you off and the odds are the bars were of different diameter as well. In any case it won't take long for you to get used to it.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Chris!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast