starting strength gym
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Air Umair meets Quarter Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Will you be doing these in your basement while filming with a potato camera?

What is your successful criteria for a "quarter squat" Is it a mere unbuckling of the knees? If you're going to play around, I'd suggest you do "Anderson Squats", where the weight starts on the pins, located at no more than 2/3 of your height. At least you'd have an objective measure for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post

What is your successful criteria for a "quarter squat" Is it a mere unbuckling of the knees? If you're going to play around, I'd suggest you do "Anderson Squats", where the weight starts on the pins, located at no more than 2/3 of your height. At least you'd have an objective measure for comparison.
    I think he's going to calculate the time required to get in the "quarter squat" position, based on his physical dimensions, and then set a timer, backed up with video and reverse calculations. For skyunz.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post

I''ll get into the exact joint angles I'm used to whilst doing SVJs. Anderson squats are a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by umairsemail View Post
    So the power jerk is basically a way to do quarter squats without getting laughed at...
    If you want to think of that way, than yes.

Same ROM (sort of ) as quarter squats . . and maybe same ROM as the important part of a jump.

Quickly reversing the load (SSC, eccentric breaking, etc) . . . and 'throwing' the weight up with no holding back.

1/4 squat, meh:
    Once you stop at your depth . . . just a moment of raising the bar/concentric work, the rest of the minimal movement you're just coasting so to speak.

IMO power cleans for football players, BBall, etc etc . . . should be replaced w/ clean pulls and BTN power jerks.
    Way easier to teach. More specific to movement. Athlete can go balls to the wall quicker, and progress the weight faster . . .than learning the PC techinque.
    All these DIV I,II,III schools have a ton a platforms and bumpers now.
    Just have to teach how to safely bail outta a fail BTN pwr jerk . . . and maybe how to recatch . . . its easier to learn the above movements than the powerclean (from a incompetent S&C coach).

To continue my rant: a lot of these dudes have weird body proportions, not manlets: long femurs and arms . . . PC setup might be difficult, and the rack.

Quarter squats can be done at maximum volitional effort where you end up on your toes (that's how i've always done squats). You don't have to coast, although that is the easy way out.
    Last edited by umairsemail; 07-21-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Quarter squats can be done at maximum volitional effort where you end up on your toes (that's how i've always done squats). You don't have to coast, although that is the easy way out.
    Trying to do a dynamic type of squat this way with maximal 1/4 squat weights seem like suicide. You will have to deal with the weight rebounding, bar flex, etc. . . . at some point.

This will be a log experimenting on the effects of heavy quarter squats on athletic performance. Initial videos will be posted within a day or two. Could use some help with periodization. Thanks.
    You do you, Boo-Boo.

Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    Trying to do a dynamic type of squat this way with maximal 1/4 squat weights seem like suicide. You will have to deal with the weight rebounding, bar flex, etc. . . . at some point.
    I mean the weight won't move or bounce on my back as long as i hold onto the SSB handles. I'll also keep it to an 8RM with more sets to keep the weights lighter.

I dont know. There no book called "Starting Quarter Squats - Basic Vertebra Compression Training".

This is why I'd say the quarter squats suck.
    8RM aint going to do jack shit for the first six reps.
    I think to get that adaption you're looking for (other sprinters advocate 1/4 squat) . . . they use heavy real loads. . . .from what I've seen on the youtubez, blogs, articles.
    Lighter you could accelerate more, get a better finish as you were saying in the other post . . .get brave with it so to speak.

Just get your regular parallel SSB squat up there. I think this 1/4 sqt thing is a bad idea.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    I dont know. There no book called "Starting Quarter Squats - Basic Vertebra Compression Training".

This is why I'd say the quarter squats suck.
    8RM aint going to do jack shit for the first six reps.
    I think to get that adaption you're looking for (other sprinters advocate 1/4 squat) . . . they use heavy real loads. . . .from what I've seen on the youtubez, blogs, articles.
    Lighter you could accelerate more, get a better finish as you were saying in the other post . . .get brave with it so to speak.

Just get your regular parallel SSB squat up there. I think this 1/4 sqt thing is a bad idea.
    8RM training will still get you excellent strength gains, albeit more slowly. With extra volume, which is the current meta in powerlifting, I can surely improve my quarter squat 1RM by at least 20-30%.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast