• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    8/19/2016
    1:15pm
    Back Extensions x10, x5 with 36lbs
    High Intensity Airdyne- 2 minutes
    Lunges- 10
    Squats- Bar x10, Bar x10, 135x5 good (a bit stiff), 185x2 good speed, 205x1 fast, 225x1 fail (stalled halfway up, later realized because of chest cave and lack of tightness during unrack/walkout), 185x5 good, 225x1 fail see earlier fail
    Walkouts- 225 3 times with 10 second hold after walkout (corrected chest cave and made the weight feel lighter by having my chest and back tightness correct), 275 good, 325 good, 375 very good tightness (you can't mess around with this kind of weight on your back during walkout or unracking)
    Also tested grip strength on dynamometer and got 140+ for the right hand and 120+ for the left hand.

8/20/2016
    10:50pm
    Back Extensions x5, x10, x10
    Squats- Bar x10 knees were cranky (lunges after this set), bar x10 still tight in the hips, 135x3 too stiff, 150x21 the body can do amazing things (e1RM 255lbs)

The days of squatting to a max daily are over for now. My 10 session experience gave me a much better idea of what I should feel like under the bar. I gained a better understanding of how I need to warm up, how to mentally prepare/focus for sets and in general I learned how to make the squat work for me. I'll do another light squat day tomorrow and then Monday marks the start of me doing a variation of the Starting Strength program for the first time ever, albeit high bar. The linear progression will be 11 weeks (33 sessions) of me putting in a 100% effort and focus into my lifts and recovery in order to achieve the best results possible. The 4 week goal is 240x5 in the squat, 155x5 on the bench, 90x5 in the press?, 330x5 in the deadlift, and 165x5 in the power clean. Now that I have a clue as to how my body functions in the lifts and from a recovery standpoint it is about time that I take full advantage of the simple model that allows for linear gains and prevents over reaching in my workouts. I've learned that slow and steady does in fact win the race when it comes to the iron game.

Good luck - looking forward to seeing your progress.

Quote Originally Posted by B-MoreBeast View Post
    Beast attempts to right his wrongs as he embarks on a new journey of strength training. His lower body training for the immediate future will be squatting daily, deadlifts once a week, and glute bridges three times a week. The only constant within his lower body training will be the squatting everyday. He will follow this routine for 6 weeks and evaluate his progress and ability to perform the program. For upper body training he will be following the progressions outlined in the books Overcoming Gravity and Gymnastic Bodies. Once a very solid foundation of strength has been built (2-3 months) he will move to lifting. The biggest lesson Beast has learned is to take pride in his form and to strive for perfect form rather than poor form and heavier weight. He has also learned how to control the lower back which has made a tremendous impact on his ability to squat and deadlift with proper form. For methodology see John Broz, Steven Low, Bret Contreras, Christopher Sommer, Jack Cascio, and Umair. Shout out to Tom Narvaez for his post this winter, it was nothing but the truth.

8/13/16: HBBS: Bar x10, 135x10, 185x1, 135x 7, 155x5
    Overhead Squat: Bar x3
    Front Squat: Bar x10, 135x2

Push Ups: BWx10, Low Rings BWx7, Diamond Push Ups BWx5

8/14/2016:
    Back Extensions x10
    Squats in order that they were performed:
    BS- Bar x10
    FS- Bar x10
    BS- 95x10
    135x2
    155x2
    175x2
    195x1
    175x5
    FS- 135x3
    8/20/2016
    10:50pm
    Back Extensions x5, x10, x10
    Squats- Bar x10 knees were cranky (lunges after this set), bar x10 still tight in the hips, 135x3 too stiff, 150x21 the body can do amazing things (e1RM 255lbs)

The days of squatting to a max daily are over for now. My 10 session experience gave me a much better idea of what I should feel like under the bar. I gained a better understanding of how I need to warm up, how to mentally prepare/focus for sets and in general I learned how to make the squat work for me. I'll do another light squat day tomorrow and then Monday marks the start of me doing a variation of the Starting Strength program for the first time ever, albeit high bar. The linear progression will be 11 weeks (33 sessions) of me putting in a 100% effort and focus into my lifts and recovery in order to achieve the best results possible. The 4 week goal is 240x5 in the squat, 155x5 on the bench, 90x5 in the press?, 330x5 in the deadlift, and 165x5 in the power clean. Now that I have a clue as to how my body functions in the lifts and from a recovery standpoint it is about time that I take full advantage of the simple model that allows for linear gains and prevents over reaching in my workouts. I've learned that slow and steady does in fact win the race when it comes to the iron game.

All that shit talking...
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 08-21-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    All that shit talking...
    Just because I'm not squatting to a max every day doesn't mean I won't squat light everyday still. I'm just actually going to follow a linear progression now that I have good enough form to follow a program of that style. How about you get yourself back into training shape before you keep talking smack on the Internet ��
    Last edited by B-MoreBeast; 08-21-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Just because I'm not squatting to a max every day doesn't mean I won't squat light everyday still. I'm just actually going to follow a linear progression now that I have good enough form to follow a program of that style. How about you get yourself back into training shape before you keep talking smack on the Internet ��
    Lol... Since I can out lift you any day of the week even with a bad back, I will talk all the smack I want.
    Little Punks like you and UmairTroll are truly pathetic, you are both proven liars.

Lol... Since I can out lift you any day of the week even with a bad back, I will talk all the smack I want.
    Little Punks like you and UmairTroll are truly pathetic, you are both proven liars.
    What is your deadlift friend? With a fried back of course; since you made such a claim.

What is your deadlift friend? With a fried back of course; since you made such a claim.
    505 without a belt 2 months ago. I will be doing at least 525 before the end of the year at 55 years old.
    People here (myself included) would be willing to help you out if we thought you were serious,
    But I (we) don't think you are.
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 08-21-2016 at 04:29 PM.

505 without a belt 2 months ago. I will be doing at least 525 before the end of the year at 55 years old.
    People here (myself included) would be willing to help you out if we thought you were serious,
    But I (we) don't think you are.
    If you actually did 505 with sciatia and other back issues at a weight around 200lbs then I'll give the credit you deserve (a lot). You do remember that I've legitimately trained for only a week now. As the sessions pile up maybe I will be able to regain your respect.

starting strength coach development program
    If you actually did 505 with sciatia and other back issues at a weight around 200lbs then I'll give the credit you deserve (a lot). You do remember that I've legitimately trained for only a week now. As the sessions pile up maybe I will be able to regain your respect.
    Hmm... That's a line that umair has used over and over. Good luck.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast