starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heisman's Journal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Damn you're strong. You're my height and not quite 10 lbs heavier than me and....damn you're strong

Do you have any videos of your squats or deads? I like seeing someone my general size moving that much weight, gives me something to shoot for

Quote Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    Damn you're strong. You're my height and not quite 10 lbs heavier than me and....damn you're strong

Do you have any videos of your squats or deads? I like seeing someone my general size moving that much weight, gives me something to shoot for
    No videos, but now that I know you want one I'll try to take some of me squatting next workout.

Actually, since I can squat at home, I can guarantee you a video of me squatting. Deadlifting is a little harder because I have to do that in a public gym, but I'll see what I can do.

Tonight I ate dinner, waited 20 minutes, and worked out. The food did not negatively affect me at all.

Backsquats (everything with a 3 second pause):
    135x2
    185x1
    225x1
    255x1
    275x1
    295x1
    305x1
    315x1
    325x1

On the last one I started to bend a bit, so I stopped there. However, my form was much better than when I maxed at 335, and the 335 was WITHOUT a pause, so I'm extremely happy with this.

Frontsquats (everything with a 3 second pause):
    135x1
    185x1
    205x1
    225x1
    245x1
    265x1

I had more in me but called it quits because I haven't frontsquatted more than 265 with or without a pause since getting my O-lifting shoes. There was no breakdown in my form whatsoever.

Assisted chinups:
    #14x1
    #11x1
    #8x1
    #6x1
    #4x0.75
    #10x5 (3 second pause before each rep from a complete hang)
    #9x4.75 (3 second pause before each rep from a complete hang)

I'm gonna start doing all of these paused and from a complete hang. The ones I did like this felt good.

Incline dumbell bench press:
    20x5
    45x20
    40x20

Last time 40x20 and 35x20, so this is a literal 5 pound improvement and it was easier this time, although still extremely hard.

Russian twists:
    20x2
    45x3

I started to cheat a bit with these so I just stopped. Next time I'll focus a lot more on not letting my arms help lift the weight.

Really nice lifting in here, Heisman. I could say that every time, of course. This 5x5 on deadlifts stuff makes me wince. My strength goes down very quickly on deadlifts once I've done a few at a relatively heavy weight.

On the Olympic squats, how wide is your stance? I can go ATG with decent form, but only with a stance that is inside shoulder width. I've seen a few Olympic lifters in a deep squat with a wider stance but that takes unusual flexibility. Just wondering, since you've mentioned that you have to work to keep from rounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisman View Post
    No videos, but now that I know you want one I'll try to take some of me squatting next workout.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    Thanks!
    I was gonna deadlift today but decided to squat at the last minute but I promise to take a video of me squatting next time (which will be in 2, 3, or 4 days).

Had a nice workout today:

Backsquats:
    135x2
    185x1
    225x1
    255x1
    275x1
    295x1
    315x1
    325x1

I didn't pause these but my form was a bit off on the last one. I might be stronger with paused squats than non paused squats, lol. This won't be an issue once I get used to going heavy.

Frontsquats:
    135x1
    185x1
    225x1
    245x1
    265x1
    275x1
    285x1
    295x1
    305x1

This is a 40 pound PR since I got the shoes. On the last one I started bending over, so I stopped there. I'm very happy with this.

One armed assisted chinups with 3 second pause:
    #14x1
    #11x1
    #8x4.75
    #8x3

My left arm was a bit stronger, but I don't care since this is an improvement over last time (although I didn't go heavier at first).

Steep decline situps:
    20x7
    20x7
    20x7
    20x7
    20x6

I did all of these with one minute of rest and afterwards my abs were on fire.

Incline dumbell bench press:
    25x5
    50x20
    45x16

I didn't get 20 reps with the second set, but the first set was a PR so I can be happy with this as well.

Because of the front squats, I'm really happy with this workout. Also, a bunch of people were asking me for advice and it's kind of nice to be noticed, lol.

Holy shit 305 on ft squats?

Wtf has gotten into you lol

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Holy shit 305 on ft squats?

Wtf has gotten into you lol

Kyle
    x2

Whatever it is I need to get some of it in me too.

LMAO, thanks a lot guys. Remember, that is pounds.

I'll definitely take some videos next time.

nice lifting man. why no upper body work? just curious.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcoholiday View Post
    nice lifting man. why no upper body work? just curious.
    The chinups and dumbell presses are upper body stuff.

The truth is, I really don't care aboue my upper body at all. I haven't done direct arm work in well over a year.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast