starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lifting in a sandbox

Default Lifting in a sandbox

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm starting a new log since it doesn't cost anything. My last log has been dormant since April and was nothing special. A lot of starts and stops. Nagging injuries and other excuses. My first SS log and first intermediate log actually had some decent progress in them, but that was in 2010. It's been a shit show ever since. Anyway, I've been in the board for a long time, but since I haven't been doing much training lately, I'll reintroduce myself.

Age 43
    Height 5'10"
    Weight ~185
    Location living and working in Saudi Arabia for the past 4 years. I'm originally from East Coast USA. I workout in my garage. With a fan. In Saudi Arabia. It's really f@cking hot.
    I play softball, which is fun and gives me a reason to do powercleans. I have no powerlifting aspirations at the moment, but you never know.

In addition to the heat, I have to deal with extended breaks, as I take 3-4 week vacations twice a year. I know, poor me having to take so much vacation. However, the has put me in constant restart mode. I'm also dealing with shoulder tendonitis in my left shoulder. It's only an issue during presses at the moment, but that is why my press is so much lower than my bench. My current lifts are significantly below what I achieved in 2010, but that was so long ago, I won't mention them.

I'm currently doing SS novice programming, but will need to switch soon. I'm not sure which direction I will go in. I've had good results from GSLP and from Texas Method. If I go TM it will not be the standard version, rather one of the alt versions Andy or Jordan has presented.

Here are my last two sessions:

Squat 195x5/3 sets
    Press 70x5/3 sets
    Deadlift 235x5
    Chins 8, 6, 5

Squat 205x5/3 sets
    Bench 170x5/3 sets
    Powercleans 125x3/5 sets
    Last edited by TartanEagle; 08-23-2016 at 06:31 AM.

Aug 24
    Squat 215x5/3 sets
    Press 75x5/3 sets
    Deadlift 235x5
    Chins 10,6,5

Other than the brutal heat in my garage, I had no issues. Squats are still at 10 pound jumps, as are deadlifts. The difference between the two is only 20 pounds. I usually have a 50 pound spread. This will slow down once I move to 5 pound jumps on the squat, but I may take some bigger deadlift jumps in the meantime.

There is still some tendonitis in the left shoulder but it's much improved. I'll keep being conservative, but a 5 pound increase for a few sessions should be tolerable. My weight is creeping up, which I consider a good thing.

It is hot here in NY, hovering around 90 most days. I sure know the deal with the shoulder pain. It seems to me mine feels worst during the night when sleeping. I found using Ripps method of shoulder rehab helped me at least get back to pressing even if at a much lower weight.

Hi Jerry, thanks for reading. I used to train in my garage in CT, where winters were the challenge. This is far worse. But it beats doing nothing or worse, going to the local gym.

Last night's results:

Squat 220x5/3 sets
    Bench 172.5x5/3 sets
    Powercleans 130x3/5 sets

I decided to move to smaller weight increments, 5 pounds on squats, 2.5 pounds on bench press. I want to keep the bar moving.

Squats moved a bit slower than last session, but otherwise went fine. I didn't have my earbuds in and my knees were really making some noise. No discomfort though.

Bench press was fine. The weight is starting to get to the point were I must engage my full body to move it (leg drive, really squeezing my abzzz). My biggest issue is all the damn sweat. This time of year it's not a "dry heat", it's humid and nasty. I've got chalk all over the garage.

Powercleans went without issue.

Aug 29th
    Squats 225x5/3 sets
    Press 77.5x5/3 set
    Deadlift 250x5
    Chins x 30

I fought a headache throughout the session. It hit me just as I was getting into my squat work sets. Probably heat related. I stuck it out, forgetting about it during any working sets but it made rest periods miserable. I felt fine afterwards in the air conditioning. I figure I'll adapt just in time for the nice weather to come (November).

On squats, no real issue other than my bar placement was a little low, irritating my elbows a bit. I need to keep the bar about an inch higher up my back than what I feel is the correct position.

Press went fine, with just some minor discomfort that went away when I tightened my grip.

Deadlifts were murder on my hands. I used the hook grip. I really need to toughen up.

Default Lifting in a sandbox

Aug 31st
    Squat 230x5/3 sets
    Bench 175x5/3 sets
    PC 135z3/5 sets
    Ab wheel - some partial roll outs. I'm not going to do any full roll outs until confident in my shoulder

I was not happy with the bar position on my squats after last workout. During my first run through SS I developed a painful left biceps from poor bar position. I thought it was too low, so I moved it up about an inch to my lower traps. The pain went away quickly. I've stuck with that, but it never feels right. So I watched a bunch of Rip's videos in YouTube and the one that got the message across to me was where he was teaching the Art of Manliness guy to squat. Regarding bar position, Rip tells him, "it's not supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be tight." I liked that and put it into practice last night. I shoved the bar further down my back than I have ever before and put my hands really close together. I filmed my sets from directly behind, as well. The bar felt very stable and I have no biceps or elbow pain. I did notice some bar asymmetry which I am trying to address. I'm not sure if this is the result of multiple shoulder issues or the cause of them. Either way squats went.

Bench press was fine, although I am paying a lot more attention to the asymmetry in my shoulders. It's always been there, but I am consciously trying to correct it.

PC's were easy.

Bodyweight is creeping up, now between 188 and 190. I do want to gain some weight to keep things moving along and this pace, seems right (about 1 pound per week).

Edited to add: Driving around town yesterday I passed by a soon to open Crossfit. I can't believe I'm seeing one over here. I hope this means I can get equipment over here soon. It's so expensive to ship it over.
    Last edited by TartanEagle; 09-01-2016 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TartanEagle View Post
    Edited to add: Driving around town yesterday I passed by a soon to open Crossfit. I can't believe I'm seeing one over here. I hope this means I can get equipment over here soon. It's so expensive to ship it over.
    If you're in the Eastern Province some stuff can be bought in Bahrain. Other stuff can be bought in Dubai, but that's 16 hour round trip from Khobar. Or you can ship from Dubai, but I don't know how much that would cost.

Where in Bahrain? I'm always hoping I'll need more iron. I have just under 500 pounds of weights. It hasn't happened, but I'm always the optimist.

Squat 235x5/3 sets
    Press 80x5/3 sets
    Deadlift 265x5
    30 chins

Squats felt very heavy for the first time, at least in the first set. The third set moved slowly, but was controlled. I'm still working on bar position. I felt some elbow discomfort so I'll need to work on that.

Press had no issues. The is still parts that don't feel right in my left shoulder but no pain. I'm hoping this continues as the weight increases. As my press is about 100 pounds under my Bench Press working weight, I hope this will continue to go up pain free for a while.

Deadlift was fine. I used mixed grip for the first time in a while. No issues.

I did my chins ladder style 4-3-2-1 x 3.

Quote Originally Posted by TartanEagle View Post
    Where in Bahrain? I'm always hoping I'll need more iron. I have just under 500 pounds of weights. It hasn't happened, but I'm always the optimist.
    I'm not sure. I'll ask the guy next time I see him.

starting strength coach development program
    Sept 5
    Squat 240x5/3

Bench 177.5x5/3 sets

Powercleans 140x3/5 sets

Ab wheel partial roll out x 10

Squats were very difficult. My form got pretty ugly on the last rep or two of each set. I was having trouble keeping my knees out. But I got them up.

Bench on the other hand went very well. Despite being exhausted from squats, I felt much stronger than I did last bench day.

Powercleans were fine. An wheel roll outs were a little bit longer ROM than last time, as I test my left shoulder a little bit at a time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast