starting strength gym

Thread: My Anti-Beer Gut Crusade!!!

Default My Anti-Beer Gut Crusade!!!

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    First post, here's hoping it's in the right place. This is a log of the inexorable decline of my beer gut.

Stats:
    5'10"
    205-210 pounds (it varies by the day)
    23% bodyfat (Navy circumference method)
    Protein per day: minimum 175g

Even though I've lost about 10% bodyfat, I still look like I'm pregnant while being male. This is a problem that SHALL BE FIXED. My goal is to be strong, but I really, honestly, and truly just want to have my shirts hang flat from my chest to my belt. Don't give a damn about a six-pack, I just want a flat-ish stomach instead of a beer gut.

Lifts (5RM):

Deadlift: 230
    Squat: 190
    Bench: 120
    Clean: 95
    Press: 90

I started the program itself in May 2016 when I finally got sick and tired of the fat, gelatinous mass in my computer chair. My stats then were roughly:

220 lbs
    32% bodyfat

Deadlift: 130
    Squat: 75
    Bench: 75
    Clean: N/A
    Press: 65

I trained for about a month, then I got it into my head that I should be reducing fat first, then worrying about building muscle. This was after I got stuck at 145 on the Squat. I restarted SS completely in August 2016, so I've essentially been doing SS for two months.

A potential complication is the fact that I have severe scoliosis of my chest. When I stand up and look forward, chest up, good posture, my shirt doesn't touch a fist-sized depression in the dead center of my chest right between my nipples. It's about a 2" deep valley between my pecs where it's literally skin on bone, no muscle. It literally looks like someone punched a hole in my chest, and it's been there as long as I can remember. I'm noting it simply because I don't know if it changes the mechanics of my lifts; I'll leave that analysis for the people who know what the hell they're talking about.

I work out Mon/Wed/Fri around 5-6pm, sometimes as early as 4pm. I'll update this log tonight with today's results.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post

Even though I've lost about 10% bodyfat, I still look like I'm pregnant while being male. This is a problem that SHALL BE FIXED. My goal is to be strong, but I really, honestly, and truly just want to have my shirts hang flat from my chest to my belt. Don't give a damn about a six-pack, I just want a flat-ish stomach instead of a beer gut.
    Good job so far. Will be following along. It's a blessing and a curse that beer is as tasty as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post
    A potential complication is the fact that I have severe scoliosis of my chest. When I stand up and look forward, chest up, good posture, my shirt doesn't touch a fist-sized depression in the dead center of my chest right between my nipples. It's about a 2" deep valley between my pecs where it's literally skin on bone, no muscle. It literally looks like someone punched a hole in my chest, and it's been there as long as I can remember. I'm noting it simply because I don't know if it changes the mechanics of my lifts; I'll leave that analysis for the people who know what the hell they're talking about.
    This piqued my interest because I have a very slight scoliosis in my lumbar spine. If I'm reading your paragraph right, I don't think it's any cause for concern (or, for that matter, scoliosis), as I have a slight version of this. I'd just keep lifting and not worry about it.

It sounds like you're describing pectus excavatum. The extent it affects your lifts is going to depend on the severity.

9/26/16

Squat
    45x5x1
    80x5x1
    110x3x1
    140x2x1
    170x1x1
    *200x5x3, 5 minutes rest between sets

Bench
    45x5x1
    60x5x1
    75x3x1
    90x2x1
    105x1x1
    *120x5x3, 5 minutes rest between sets

Power Clean
    *100x3x5, 3 minutes rest between sets

Yup, just looked up the term, and it's definitely pectus excavatum. it's definitely made drinking slushies interesting since I get chest freeze instead of brain freeze XD
    Last edited by Jason H; 09-27-2016 at 11:19 AM.

Depending on the severity, it can limit the size of your thoracic cavity, ie the space your heart and lungs work. Just something to be cognizant of.

So /that's/ why I have the stamina of a smoker when I've never indulged. Good to know.

9/28/16

Squat
    45x5x1
    80x5x1
    115x3x1
    145x2x1
    180x1x1
    *210x5x3 (Hell yeah, bodyweight PR)

Had to get the bar off my back a few times to complete each set, but it wasn't more than a minute's rest. On the very last work rep, my legs decided to take a break. Being tired from fourteen bodyweight squats, I agreed and relaxed in the bottom for a bit with the bar on me back. I was astonished how stable it was, actually. After resting up a bit, I shrugged the bar off me back and got back to work. I reckon my legs knew what they were doing, since after getting a spotter(who didn't do anything), the last rep was no problem. Must have just needed the stretch.

Press
    45x5x1
    60x5x1
    70x3x1
    80x1x1
    *90x5x3

I hate presses. I know they're good for me, but I hate them. Maybe I was just tired from the squat, but my lower back was NOT happy with my presses. Got 'em all done though, and now my back feels awesome.

Deadlift
    135x5x1
    190x3x1
    245x5x1

The deadlifts were damn near anticlimactic after the squats. By no means easy, but the set was far more solid and steady than I was expecting.

10/1/2016

Squat
    45x5x1
    80x5x1
    115x3x1
    145x2x1
    180x1x1
    *210x5x3

I stayed at 210 since it had given me so much trouble on Wednesday and I wanted to make sure my technique and form was good before I raised the weight. I also added a new tool: a brand new Gold's Gym belt(yes, it's wider in the back. No, I'm not driving 2 hours to get one that isn't.) I swear I've never felt more like an idiot in my life for not using a belt sooner. My bodyweight was NOTHING to me with that belt on; the difference is utterly GLORIOUS. I will never do work sets without a belt again.

Bench Press
    45x5x1
    65x5x1
    80x3x1
    95x2x1
    110x1x1
    *125x5x3

I figured I'd use the belt on the bench press too, since Rip recommends the Valsalva there as well. Did not help at all. Maybe I needed it tighter, maybe the isometric ab contraction isn't as crucial in the bench press. No clue, but it didn't feel like it helped. Also, my left arm is shaking a lot, not enough to compromise my form, but definitely worth noting.

Power Clean
    105x3x5

I couldn't use my belt because the bar kept hitting the buckle on the way up. Maybe the bar's too close to my body during the ascent, but I'm pretty sure the bar path is relatively vertical still, so I just ditched the belt and had no problems. 2 minutes between each set of 3 gets boring really, really quick, and it doesn't feel like I'm working hard enough. I'm considering going up by 10 a couple of times until it feels like I'm actually doing work again.

10/3/2016

Squat
    45x5sx1
    80x5x1
    115x3x1
    150x2x1
    185x1x1
    *220x5x3

Once again, the belt helped a lot, though it wasn't nearly as easy as the last one was. Still solid though.

Press
    45x5x1
    60x5x1
    70x3x1
    85x1x1
    *95x5x3

I hate presses. They hate me too. I think the belt helped on my 'drawn bow' effect, but I wasn't about to try a set without it to check.

Deadlift
    135x5x1
    195x3x1
    *255x5x1

Yeah....I fucked up. I did the set (with the belt, of course), but I still felt it in my lower back, lower than I've ever felt pain in my lumbar. It hurt very close to where my belt goes on my pants, very, very close to where my back ends and my ass begins.

starting strength coach development program
    10/5/16

I'm so pissed.

ALL week my knees and ankles have felt gloriously solid and stable, more so than they've EVER felt. I feel good driving to the gym, I'm ready to make Mr. Gravity my bitch, and my left ankle starts buckling on my squat warmup. THE WARM UP. NOT EVEN THE HEAVY PART.

Now, I have flat feet. Had 'em for decades now(I'm 25). I know what works and what doesn't, and since I started this program, I've been lifting in Converse Low-tops. Never had a problem out of 'em, just couldn't afford the right shoes since the Converses were free. I'd lace 'em up nice and tight so my feet weren't going anywhere. No roll, just a slight, slight compression when I lift, which I know the proper shoes are good for once I get 'em.

I think what's pisses me off the most is that since I got home and took the damn shoes off, my ankle hasn't bothered me AT ALL. Not a twinge.

To hell with these shoes. I've gone ahead and ordered a pair of SABO PowerLifts (46 because I have hobbit feet). Hopefully they'll be here in time for Friday's workout.