starting strength gym
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DD's training for life...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good job with the squatting man. Looking good. I'm not too keen on spotting the little things for a clean or squat. I posted links to Tommy K's Oly Vids in the Powerlifting section at WBB. It's been a couple of months ago. You ought to take a look at em for some good ideas.

The biggest problem with your one armed dumbell snatches is the fact that your arm stays relatively straight, causing the dumbell to go way out in front. If you aren't doing that on purpose, then I would suggest you to just concentrate on pulling the dumbell straight up, so that your arm will bend and you will catch it at the top. You'll use a lot more weight that way, guaranteed.

Workout, 8/15/07 @ 2pm:

BB Bench Press: 155x8, 175x8, 160x8, 180x8**(PR)
    *Tried some wave loading, just for fun.
    **The eigth rep the spotter helped alot, so that really doesn't count. The PR is 180x7...

BW Chins: 8, 8, 6, 8
    *Wanted 4x8, the third set was a bit of sand baggin'! lol

Bike Ride: 10mins to first job, 20mins to other job, 30mins home
    *No leg work, pushin' it hard on the bike. I'm trying to push through my current anerobic threshold.

Notes:
    I've been up since 5am, had a 6am client at my new job. Things are picking up forsure, which is always good. I'm just tired. I have one more client at 5pm then I'm done for the night. I wanted to try something new with the bench presses, instead of always going super heavy. Tried some wave loadiing just for fun, I like it a lot. I usually just do straight sets. I might try this with everything for the next few weeks.

Diet:
    2800ish as usual. Gotta slow down the weight loss, hopin for just one pound tomorrow, we'll see. Spent $150 at Costco last night, 5lbs of chix, 5lbs of tilipia, 9lbs of oats and a bunch of other good stuff. This should feed me for the next few months. I'm testing out how much I'll need for my up coming bulk. I might drop all the way to 180lbs, we'll see.

Andrew: Thanks bro! I'll check it out when I get a chance.
    Heisman: Huh, that's the way I thought to do them. I'll work on pulling hard and just keeping my arm straight at the top. Thanks for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff View Post
    BB Bench Press: 155x8, 175x8, 160x8, 180x8**(PR)
    *Tried some wave loading, just for fun.
    Nice benching, Dusty. Not sure how this is wave loading, though? Looks like ramped sets to me. Either way, nice work.

Hey Dusty, just checking in. Looking good in here, you've got a rock solid selection of exercises, and I like things like the one-armed dumbbell snatches. Always looking for new things to try.

Great squatting, BTW. Also really great to see some of the helpful comments people like Andrew Smith are making, those are things that will help me with my squatting as well.

Hey DD... great looking workouts...

Keep it heavy...

Quote Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
    Nice benching, Dusty. Not sure how this is wave loading, though? Looks like ramped sets to me. Either way, nice work.
    Wave Loading
    I'm not sure how many sets is as important as just doing lighter then higher sets. Maybe I missed the point. I've never really heard of ramped sets before. Tomato vs. Tamoto lol

Quote Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    Hey Dusty, just checking in. Looking good in here, you've got a rock solid selection of exercises, and I like things like the one-armed dumbbell snatches. Always looking for new things to try.

Great squatting, BTW. Also really great to see some of the helpful comments people like Andrew Smith are making, those are things that will help me with my squatting as well.
    I've learned over my short term of heavy weightlifting that the basics work. Focus on those and build a good base. Plus I love working my body three times per week. I video my lifts for tips, the mirror lies sometimes. I'm glad that it's also helping others! Thanks for stopping by!

Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Hey DD... great looking workouts...

Keep it heavy...
    Thanks bro, always heavy!

Workout, 8/7/07 @ 8am:

One Arm DB snatchs: 45x3x6
    *Really working on pulling th weight straight up. These felt good. Form still needs some work on some of the reps.

CGBP: 145x6, 155x6, 150x6, 160x6
    *Trying out more of this wave loading, I like it.

SS w/

DB curls: 40x6, 45x6, 45x6, 50x5
    *These felt good.

Calf Raises: 180x12, 215x12x2

SS w/

Static Holds: 80x30sec x3

SS w/

Oblique Twists w/ side bends: 60x12x3

Treadmill: 20mins, walking hills

Bunch of Shoulder Mobility stuff sprikled along the way

Notes:
    First workout at my new job. Had a client at 6am, next one was at 10:30, said why not just do the workout now. Still working on form for the snatchs, but really starting to like them. This is a day for weakpoint training.

Diet:
    2800. Weighed in at 185(-1lb) from last week. Glad I slowed it down a bit. The weight loss is somewhat surprising, had a crazy diet all last weekend and really on tracked tuesday-friday. By doing some calculations that weight puts me @ ~13-14% BF.

Looking foreward:
    Probably going to start UD2 on Monday. Even with some miscalculations of my bf I should be safe to start UD2. I've wanted to do it all summer long but really couldn't because no access to the gym on the weekends. Now I have access to a gym, when I want (whenever, I have a key ). Also, my new boss said it was cool if I video tape myself. So expect some more video's down the road.

I plan to lose those last 5lbs, to get to 180. At that weight I should be close to 11%, right where I wanted to start my bulk. Unless something happens to me (**Knock on wood**) I should start my fall bulk middle of Sept-Beginning of October. I'm using a range because last fall I was too percise and well that didn't work out so well. If you've been following my journal sense then you know what I'm talking about (broken fingers...).

I'm planning a long slow bulk. I'm tired of the word clean. Mainly because I eat perfect during the week and eat whatever on the weekends, :drooling: . My conclusion, calorie is the king. So I'll start off with a moddest 250-500 extra.

nil...

Nice looking session man. CGBPs looking strong.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about being super clean on a bulk. If you are gaining too much fat, then you'll have the option of eating cleaner.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast