starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Revenge of SA

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hope things are getting better, Serpens. Everyone has a different road, but you're not unique in your struggles.

Sorry folks, I forgot to update this journal the other day. Life's been hectic as of late, what with trying to get all of my affairs in order before heading "home." I'm quite pleased with my progress. I've been walking much more lately with absolutely no back pain or stiffness, while my consumption of painkillers has dropped markedly.

I decided against continuing the cold turkey idea because it was just making too many things too difficult to accomplish. While I think I could have completed the tasks in question I simultaneously doubt the quality of them had I not started back up again. Nonetheless, whereas I was once at 8-10 pills a day, I am now down to 3 in a reasonably short amount of time. The anxiety and pangs of depressions come and go, but with no where near the intensity I once felt. I'm hoping to be totally clean within the last two weeks of September, giving myself a liberal allotment of time to adapt (although if possible sooner I'll definitely go that route). Onto training...

This workout took out a page from VikingMan's book. I decided to implement a more conditioning oriented lower day. When I get back to training in a gym shortly, I'll be continuing this, and updating the original template appropriately.

DB Swing and Press
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35
    3 x 35

All sets were done with thirty seconds of rest in-between. The weight noted is only one dumbbell, although I used two, so the actual weight is 70lbs.

These felt very good. I really watched to make sure my lower-back was arched correctly, and that I swung starting with thrust from the hips so as to avoid any unnecessary strain. I was surprised with myself; I felt as though I could have done 5-10 more sets at the end, although I decided to be conservative for now.

My plan for now is to be cautious for the next 3-6 months before I really start pushing myself above and beyond. I want to ensure that my conditioning along with my joint/connective tissue health are top-notch. Injuries just suck too much.

Blue Band Front Squat

These were performed with 60 seconds of rest between sets. I was starting to feel fatigued upon completion of the exercise, but I nonetheless felt good. I'm feeling it less in the abdominals now, with more in the quads again. I'll take this as a sign of stronger abdominals.

Lying Leg Raises

The first two sets were performed with 60 seconds of rest in-between, although the last two saw 75 seconds. I'm noticing a substantial increase in abdominal (as well as total) work capacity now, and I'm sure that's one of the reasons my back is doing so much better now.

Final Remarks

Once more, I am pleased with my progress. I've got another two training sessions here before I head off again, in which case getting all of my shit back together, cleaning the apartment, buying groceries, and the many other errands I'll have to accomplish will border on being a workout. It's also really nice to feel like such a junkie anymore.

starting strength coach development program
    Nope, I'm not dead. I haven't been training as much as I should be, however, on account of moving back to Canada from South East Asia this past week. I'm now in British Columbia, after about 16 hours of flying and 5+ milling around airports, soon to be on my way to Ontario in about three hours. Jet lag willing, my hands will be on barbells shortly.

What exercise I did get in this past week tended to consist of running around cities, finishing off errands, a plethora of familial and business lunches/dinners, along with some late night beer sessions with old friends. Otherwise, sporadic wrestling matches with the dog and the younger brother were also present.

Training should resume as normal on Monday. The woman is meeting me at the airport later on today, so all the GPP-type work will be put to the test later on when I get home.

Cheers for now, folks.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234