starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancestral Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpens Aeon View Post
    I've read this too. Namely, that if your goal is to ameliorate lower-back pain, then training the abdominals and lumbar region/posterior chain with more work capacity/endurance-oriented resistance training is the way to go. I'll be giving this a go too with my pulling, I think.
    Hmmm. Guess I choose the right path then. High rep deads. The barbell complexes I've been doing are done along the same lines. Very low rest times, light weights, conditioning type work. Next I need to put together some home made kettlebells. I've heard countless good things about that kind of work as well.

I'm glad that you took the plunge here.

Much as I tend to think distastefully of high rep deadlifts, high rep stuff could be just what the doctor ordered. Bryan Haycock at HST always advocated lactic acid from high reps as good for joints and tendons. Maybe he was on to something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifting N Tx View Post
    Much as I tend to think distastefully of high rep deadlifts, high rep stuff could be just what the doctor ordered. Bryan Haycock at HST always advocated lactic acid from high reps as good for joints and tendons. Maybe he was on to something.
    In terms of conditioning, nothing gets my heart going like a high rep set of deads after my regular deads. Moreso than higher rep squats, I'd say.

Good journal bro.

Kyle

After reading this journal I'm going to start doing some higher rep sets at the end of whatever I'm doing. No real reason for me not to do it. Congrats on dealing with your own joint issues; I'm going to start paying more attention to my own joints and see what I can do to keep problems from developing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifting N Tx View Post
    I'm glad that you took the plunge here.

Yeah, I've heard before that lactic acid is good for joints. Anyone know if there's any science behind it? Though, honestly, the only real reason I'm doing it is because I suspect that at least some of my lower back discomfort at present is due to it not being worked.

Quote Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    In terms of conditioning, nothing gets my heart going like a high rep set of deads after my regular deads. Moreso than higher rep squats, I'd say.
    Yeah, just those stupid 3 sets with 1 plate got my heart going pretty good. And my freakin legs were a little sore today. WTF?? I suppose that happens when I'm not doing much real leg work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Good journal bro.

Kyle
    Thanks Kyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisman View Post
    After reading this journal I'm going to start doing some higher rep sets at the end of whatever I'm doing. No real reason for me not to do it. Congrats on dealing with your own joint issues; I'm going to start paying more attention to my own joints and see what I can do to keep problems from developing.
    High rep "stuff" has been a mainstay for me in keeping joint issues at bay.

Upper, Workload/Hypertrophy, 8/15/2007

Weight: 257
    Workout Time: 105 minutes

1. Flat Dumbbell Bench Press
    10 X 60's
    6 X 75's
    6 X 95's

6 X 115's
    6 X 120's
    8 X 115's
    8 X 115's
    13 X 100's

2. Chins
    10 X Rack
    1, 2, 3 X BW + 8
    1, 2, 3 X BW + 8
    1, 2, 3 X BW + 8
    8 X Rack

3. Seated Barbell Military Press
    10 X Bar
    5 X 135
    3 X 155
    1 X 185

4 X 200
    5 X 185
    6 X 155

4. Cybex Rear Delt/Row
    12 X 13 (on the stack, 20LBS each)
    12 X 15
    12 X 16
    alternated with
    5. Pushups
    12 X BW + 25
    12 X BW + 35
    12 X BW + 25

6. Situps
    12 X BW + 22
    12 X BW + 22
    12 X BW + 22

7. Supermans

8. Bridges

9. Sledge Hammer Levering Work

Comments
    Decent tonight.

Dumbbell bench was feeling a bit taxing on my shoulders. Like, I think I need to be tucking my elbows a bit more and contracting my upper back more, like I was doing a regular bench. It seems difficult to do because you have to control the dumbbells, lay down, get them in position, and do it all in the most energy efficient way. And then, on top of that, gotta consider the proper form issues. Need to work on it. I thought I might have more with the 120's, and I think I would have, except my form issues were making that set feel not so great.

On the military pressing, I think things are actually going backwards here. I believe I've been pushing at too high an intensity. So I'm going to back off the weight a bit and start doing the add a rep to a lighter set thing, till I can up the weight 5-10 pounds and then drop reps a little and go again.

Very happy with the chin ladders.

Got lots of good rehab/prehab work in at the end.

VM

That's some strong pressing man. I like it.

starting strength coach development program
    I come in here to see numbers bigger than my mind can grasp. Not disappointed so far

Nice pressing Vike.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast