starting strength gym
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ancestral Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Strong workout, VikingMan.

I know that you want to emphasize the dumbbell work for bench, but don't recall exactly how it compares to what you were doing before.

Any chance that what you're noticing about your military pressing is due mostly to greater fatigue from the heavy dumbbell work, rather than the intensity in the military pressing itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
    That's some strong pressing man. I like it.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    I come in here to see numbers bigger than my mind can grasp. Not disappointed so far

Nice pressing Vike.
    lol

Thanks graz. I'm not disappointed either. Dumbbell bench is progressing nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifting N Tx View Post
    Strong workout, VikingMan.

I know that you want to emphasize the dumbbell work for bench, but don't recall exactly how it compares to what you were doing before.
    The structure is largely the same as before. Before I was simply using barbell work for workload/volume. It's been that way for roughly 18 months, and guess who has lacked progress for over a year of that 18 months? I'm pretty sure that what I actually need at this point, especially as a raw lifter, is a stronger chest. So DBs are the focus on volume workload days. Except for every 3rd week, where I plan on doing some DE work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifting N Tx View Post
    Any chance that what you're noticing about your military pressing is due mostly to greater fatigue from the heavy dumbbell work, rather than the intensity in the military pressing itself?
    I'm been doing seated military as the second pressing movement of the session for quite a while, and a couple months ago got up to 210X5 and 245X1. So I don't think military being the second lift should be an issue. Certainly, dumbbells are a much more energy system intense lift than regular flat bench, they get me sweating like flat barbell bench never could. But regardless, I'm still convinced that I would make better progress on the military pressing if I backed off the intensity a bit, and progress with adding a rep a week or so to 1 or 2 sets out of 3-4 work sets, and slowly ratchet the whole thing up. Then, of course, I'll have the occasional intensification where I will drop reps, add weight and attempt to set some intensity PRs.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingMan View Post
    Upper, Workload/Hypertrophy, 8/15/2007

Weight: 257
    Workout Time: 105 minutes

1. Flat Dumbbell Bench Press
    10 X 60's
    6 X 75's
    6 X 95's

6 X 115's
    6 X 120's
    8 X 115's
    8 X 115's
    13 X 100's

2. Chins
    10 X Rack
    1, 2, 3 X BW + 8
    1, 2, 3 X BW + 8
    1, 2, 3 X BW + 8
    8 X Rack

3. Seated Barbell Military Press
    10 X Bar
    5 X 135
    3 X 155
    1 X 185

4 X 200
    5 X 185
    6 X 155

4. Cybex Rear Delt/Row
    12 X 13 (on the stack, 20LBS each)
    12 X 15
    12 X 16
    alternated with
    5. Pushups
    12 X BW + 25
    12 X BW + 35
    12 X BW + 25

6. Situps
    12 X BW + 22
    12 X BW + 22
    12 X BW + 22

7. Supermans

8. Bridges

9. Sledge Hammer Levering Work

Comments
    Decent tonight.

Dumbbell bench was feeling a bit taxing on my shoulders. Like, I think I need to be tucking my elbows a bit more and contracting my upper back more, like I was doing a regular bench. It seems difficult to do because you have to control the dumbbells, lay down, get them in position, and do it all in the most energy efficient way. And then, on top of that, gotta consider the proper form issues. Need to work on it. I thought I might have more with the 120's, and I think I would have, except my form issues were making that set feel not so great.

On the military pressing, I think things are actually going backwards here. I believe I've been pushing at too high an intensity. So I'm going to back off the weight a bit and start doing the add a rep to a lighter set thing, till I can up the weight 5-10 pounds and then drop reps a little and go again.

Very happy with the chin ladders.

Got lots of good rehab/prehab work in at the end.

VM

Solid workout as always VikingMan. How much is the weight differential between seated and standing military + or -?

Quote Originally Posted by MISSINGLINK View Post
    Solid workout as always VikingMan. How much is the weight differential between seated and standing military + or -?
    I'm not really sure. When I used to do standing military, I got up to 195X5. I then took rather a long time away from any military pressing (not a good thing). Here with my recent resurgence of using a military, I've gotten to 210X5. So. I guess I don't see a whole lot of difference in the poundages used, but I'd say there is some.

Great job yet again on the DB pressing. Flat DB is a bit awkward for me, too, getting set up. If I start off with a funky hand positioning or something, I either have to do all of my reps that way, or put the DBs down and start all over again. I've been known to finish an entire set with the skin on my palm pinched together from an awkward hand placement, lol.

Those chins are coming right along.

Nice job on the training, how is the lower back issues coming along Viking?

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
    Great job yet again on the DB pressing. Flat DB is a bit awkward for me, too, getting set up. If I start off with a funky hand positioning or something, I either have to do all of my reps that way, or put the DBs down and start all over again. I've been known to finish an entire set with the skin on my palm pinched together from an awkward hand placement, lol.

Those chins are coming right along.
    Yeah, dumbbells can be a pain in the ass. For the most part, I really like them. I never should have gotten so far away from them.

The chins felt pretty good last night. I'll bump the weight to 10LBS next week, and shoot for a 7 rep set this Sunday. Limiting the ROM at the bottom has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Nice job on the training, how is the lower back issues coming along Viking?

Kyle
    Good. I'm thinking the tightness MAY be diminishing. I've stepped up the pace on the SMR and the core work a little. Doing more ab work and more low intensity PC work. I think it might be having an impact. JShrek told me that I likely have a sprained ligament, and that it simply needs time. Though he did also tell me the obvious, that I should probably see a doctor as well, rounding under 510LBS.

I've located some orthopedic doctors who have a private practice here in Colorado Springs that also work for the Olympic Training Center. They're the type I want to see. I'll be contacting them next week. See what it takes to get an appointment. My insurance may require a referral from a primary care physician, but I don't think I actually have one, so that could complicate things. I may have to find one of those first, THEN get him to refer me to the doctor I do want to see, then go see him.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingMan View Post
    Yeah, dumbbells can be a pain in the ass. For the most part, I really like them. I never should have gotten so far away from them.

The chins felt pretty good last night. I'll bump the weight to 10LBS next week, and shoot for a 7 rep set this Sunday. Limiting the ROM at the bottom has made all the difference.

Good. I'm thinking the tightness MAY be diminishing. I've stepped up the pace on the SMR and the core work a little. Doing more ab work and more low intensity PC work. I think it might be having an impact. JShrek told me that I likely have a sprained ligament, and that it simply needs time. Though he did also tell me the obvious, that I should probably see a doctor as well, rounding under 510LBS.

I've located some orthopedic doctors who have a private practice here in Colorado Springs that also work for the Olympic Training Center. They're the type I want to see. I'll be contacting them next week. See what it takes to get an appointment. My insurance may require a referral from a primary care physician, but I don't think I actually have one, so that could complicate things. I may have to find one of those first, THEN get him to refer me to the doctor I do want to see, then go see him.
    Good job.. I'm glad to see you spoke to Jerry about that, he's a very valuable source with stuff like that.

Lets see what the doctor concludes with you and lets see some rehabiliation take place so you can get back to heavy back work.

Kyle

starting strength coach development program
    Lowerbody Weights + Arms, 8/17/2007

Weight: 257
    Workout Time: 60 minutes

1. Barbell Complex (1 rep = hang clean to a front squat to a push press, 60 seconds rest between sets)
    5 X Bar
    5 X 95
    5 X 95
    5 X 95
    5 X 95
    5 X 95

2. 1 Arm Barbell Curls
    5 X 45
    5 X 50
    5 X 57.5
    8 X 50
    8 X 50
    alternated with
    3. Rope Pressdowns
    5 sets

4. Sumo Deadlifts
    10 X 135

+ SMR & stretching

Comments
    I made the mistake tonight of looking at Lencho's body space, and seeing his powerlifting vid of a 605LB deadlift. Damn I wanna be doing heavy lower body work. It's playing with my head.

Weight loss has kinda stalled. I've been eating a few more carbs. I'll get it dialed down here shortly and get my ass nearer to 250LBS.

Decent tonight. Though certainly not what I'd like to be doing.

VM

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast