starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CKD log

Default CKD log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well, I'm abarlament, some of you might recognize me from formerly posting on FI, and on bb.com as abar. Anyways, I'm starting (probably, anyways) on a CKD. Immediate goal is to lose 10+lbs in 4 weeks. Um, other than that, I spent all summer doing military training, before I left (in May) I was as strong as I've ever been. Now I'm trying to build back up to those levels, but the first thing is to get leaner.

I'm about 230 and 20% BF or so. I might throw up a picture, maybe not, who knows.

15 Aug
    Power

Bench 230 3x5
    Row 185 3x5
    Squat 225 3x5

Depletion
    DB Incline 40 1x15, 1x10
    Lat Pulldown 100 1x15, 1x10
    Leg Ext 80 1x15, 1x10
    Leg Curl 65 1x15, 1x10

blah.. u should go back to Oling lol

Kyle

Nah, I was never really any good at that :/

17 Aug

I'm going to be posting updates on Fridays and Mondays. Some of the best CKD logs I've perused have done it this way (Twin Peaks', Lyle's). Anyways, here is:

Week.........Weight..Calipers....Waist....JP-3....Biceps
    Aug 17 (1f)...........19/31/15....40.5.....18.2%....15.8

Of course, this is only since Wednesday that I started. I'm going to do a 10 day ketogenic phase, then carb load to start it off, then carb load every 7th day. Anyways, my little brother left for college today and decided to take our only scale in the house with him. I'm going to try to use my calipers (knowing I'm not that good with them) and tape measure (much more practice) to track results, along with a scale.

I'm using fitday, which is a lot more helpful than I thought it would be. I used to be a pencil and notebook kind of recorder, but fitday is an excellent tool I'm going to keep using. Since Wednesday, I've averaged:

89g fat (52%)
    13g cho (3%)
    169g pro (44%)

Although the numbers are a bit misleading, because I didn't put my dinner on Wed into fitday, but it was chicken.

Right now, I'm going to be working on getting a scale.

Despite the fact that I browse Lyle's forum with reasonable frequency, I consider myself pretty ignorant of the details of things like CKD diets. One thing that I do recall about dieting in general is that protein intake is even more critical with a caloric deficit.

That said, 169gms protein isn't real low, but it is less than 1gm/lb of LBM. Do you have any concern that this amount is less than optimal?

Quote Originally Posted by Lifting N Tx View Post
    Despite the fact that I browse Lyle's forum with reasonable frequency, I consider myself pretty ignorant of the details of things like CKD diets. One thing that I do recall about dieting in general is that protein intake is even more critical with a caloric deficit.
    Basically, yea. Protein requirements go up as calories go down. The opposite is also true, as calories go up, protein requirements go down.

That said, 169gms protein isn't real low, but it is less than 1gm/lb of LBM. Do you have any concern that this amount is less than optimal?
    Like I said, 169g isn't my mode of intake. I get around 190-230g a day, and 2000 +/- 200 calories a day. 169g was the average calculation fitday gave me, because I didn't input all my food on one day.

Hey thanks for stopping in.

Thanks, guess I didn't read your next to last sentence very carefully, it was there. Getting 190-230 gms sounds a little more conventional.

Your upper body lifts look close to mine, lower body a bit ahead. I'd guess that we're close to the same size, and I was at 230 about 6 months ago. I'm at 204 as of this morning. Just used ~500 calories below maintenance with protein usually 220 or above, nothing very sophisticated in terms of dieting. I probably should consider a better method for the rest of the way, because I still have probably 10-15lbs to go.

If your immediate goal is 10+ lbs in 4 weeks, do you have a long-term goal in mind in terms of body fat?

Yea, I do. I am going to evaluate where I'm at on Sept 11, by which time I hope to be around 215-220 and about 14-16% or so. Then I'll decide if I want to do another cycle of CKD for 4 or 6 weeks, in which I'd try to go from 215 @ 15% to 205 @ 10%. That would be the leanest I've ever been. I might set less ambitious goals as I move along, however. Everything really changes when college begins again.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifting N Tx View Post

Your upper body lifts look close to mine, lower body a bit ahead. I'd guess that we're close to the same size, and I was at 230 about 6 months ago. I'm at 204 as of this morning.
    Yea. I'm looking forward to getting back up to where I was. It seems every year I have one of these long breaks over the summer, I can get back to where I was quicker. I have my PR log book (notepad file ) here, my most recent bests that I'm going to try to get back to are the 340x3 squat (May), 290x3 bench (May), a high-ish deadlift (my previous best deadlift for reps was 415x5 in '06), 230x3 row (May), and a decent weighted chin.

I don't know how feasible those are while I'm trying to lose fat, but we'll see.

Just used ~500 calories below maintenance with protein usually 220 or above, nothing very sophisticated in terms of dieting. I probably should consider a better method for the rest of the way, because I still have probably 10-15lbs to go.
    I hear ya. I like to stick with simple approaches too. CKD is one of my favorite diets. Controls hunger like no other, and I don't even need to eat much food to do it. Plus, food preparation is very easy. Right now I'm eating two meals a day. The first is bacon, eggs, coffee with cream, peanut butter, and whey. Dinner is usually a pound of ground beef and some peanut butter. It's very simple.

starting strength coach development program
    18 AUG

Fitday is really a useful tool. It tells me what my weekly averages are for foods I eat, very handy. From 15-18 August (first half week of this cycle) my average intakes were:

1850 calories
    103g fat
    17g cho
    198g pro

Which is about where I should be. I also did a tension workout a la the 2 week UD2.0 since I?m going for 10 days without a carb load:

Tension
    DB Row - 50 2x10
    Incline DB ? 60 2x10
    DB Laterals ? 25 2x10
    Squat ? 225 1x10, 1x7
    Hammer Curl ? 40 1x12
    Decline Skullcrusher ? 1x12

My right knee was feeling a bit tender so I cut it short on the second set of squats. I?m getting more comfortable with these every time, so hopefully I?m back up into the 300s soon.

19 AUG

3.04 miles in 50 minutes walking.

I'm not throwing up my Monday measurements, because I want them to reflect what's happening on carb loads. I did weigh myself (on a new scale) and it gave me a 218. I do have a bit of LBM so that is mostly water with some fat loss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast