starting strength gym
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Recreational Lifting with Misanthrope

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I decided to take an extra rest day. I woke up this morning with a headache and felt run down, and it's lingered throughout the morning. Today was deadlifts and high rep leg presses, and it just didn't feel like a good day to push myself like that. I plan on working out tomorrow and hopefully feel better after two days off. I just hope I'm not getting sick. The girlfriend was sick last week.

Bummer. I know what you mean though. Gotta be there, mentally and physically, especially for a deadlift day. Your head not being there for just one set can cause you months of problems.

Good call.

Matt's Upper/Lower, Week Twelve
    Micro cycle 11: Session 2 of 4
    Lower Body Workout - Deadlift Emphasis

Warm-ups not listed

Deadlifts
    2x295
    2x295
    2x295
    2x295

Leg Press
    Skipped - see notes

EZ-bar Curls
    8x80
    8x80
    10x80

Seated Good Mornings
    8x145
    8x145

Seated Calf Raises
    15x145
    15x145
    15x145

NOTES
    I felt better today than yesterday, but I still felt a bit worn out. My body is just feeling more tired than usual. It was one of those workouts where everything felt heavy.

The first set of deadlifts sort of sucked. My form was a bit off and I wasn't using the amount of leg drive I prefer. I fixed it on subsequent sets and it went smoother. My hamstrings were pretty fatigued by the last set.

I started off on leg press with four plates +20 per side. This would have been a 10 lb increase from last week. The first rep felt unbelievably heavy (heavier than it should have felt). I also felt something funny in my left knee. I stripped a plate from each side and tried again, and my knee started feeling funny after just a few reps. Leg presses are definitely not worth fuxxoring my knee over, so I quit. The knee feels fine now, but something was definitely off with it then.

I'll see how I feel going in to my second upper body session Thursday to determine whether I'm in need of a break.

What was the pain in your knee like?

Nice dls.

Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
    The first set of deadlifts sort of sucked. My form was a bit off and I wasn't using the amount of leg drive I prefer. I fixed it on subsequent sets and it went smoother. My hamstrings were pretty fatigued by the last set.
    That's a nice amount of DL volume. I gotta figure out this "leg drive" thing vis-a-vis DL's - just can't seem to feel it there.

Yeah, don't f*ck up your knee on leg presses, not worth it. FWIW leg presses hurt my knees more than anything else, squats included.

Just found out what your name meant.

Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    What was the pain in your knee like?
    I wouldn't even say it was a pain, really. It was more of a warm, tingly sensation, and it went away shortly after I stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    That's a nice amount of DL volume. I gotta figure out this "leg drive" thing vis-a-vis DL's - just can't seem to feel it there.
    The leg drive is all in the set-up for me. I hunker down and try to sit as deep as possible without compromising back angle. I also take a fairly narrow stance. It may just be how I'm built, as I have fairly long legs.
    Quote Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    Yeah, don't f*ck up your knee on leg presses, not worth it. FWIW leg presses hurt my knees more than anything else, squats included.
    They've never caused me trouble before. If the problem persists I guess I'll have to omit them from my training.
    Quote Originally Posted by abarlament View Post

Awesome.

Nice deadlifting Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Misanthrope View Post
    My body is just feeling more tired than usual. It was one of those workouts where everything felt heavy.
    Time for a deload? You have been going hot and heavy for quite some time. Might be worth it even if you aren't totally over reaching.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by abarlament View Post

Awesome.
    He's such a hater.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast