316 x 4
    316 x 4
    316 x 4
    316 x 4
    316 x 4

Bench Press:
    Warmup
    185 x 4

Thoughts: I decided to go ahead and do my workout after I got off of work today. It went really, really well. Bar speed was good even on the very last rep. It still felt like murder though. Unfortunately, I have to do yet another workout in about 12 hours. Heaven help me...

I see now why they say it's best to do your benching in a separate session. 185lbs felt way heavier than it should. I was planning on either doing 3x5 at 185 or doing a few singles at 225, but I called it quits after I almost got stapled with the 185.

Quote Originally Posted by Knowles View Post
    I see now why they say it's best to do your benching in a separate session. 185lbs felt way heavier than it should. I was planning on either doing 3x5 at 185 or doing a few singles at 225, but I called it quits after I almost got stapled with the 185.
    Well, yeah....I can see why you'd want to bench separately too. I would think after the squats, you'd be lucky to crawl to the gym door.

What's your normal bench strength, 5RM?

Guess you must be working out again about now. If this is Smolov Jr. I don't think I'd want to tackle the regular one.

If I work really hard on things like squats or deads early in a workout I pretty much need a short break or really easy exercise before I'm ready to hit something else hard. I can why what all those squats would be hard to follow with some hard bench sets.

Quote Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    Well, yeah....I can see why you'd want to bench separately too. I would think after the squats, you'd be lucky to crawl to the gym door.

What's your normal bench strength, 5RM?
    225x5 touch and go. I was gonna do some paused singles at that, but there's no way I could've done it last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Lifting N Tx View Post
    Guess you must be working out again about now. If this is Smolov Jr. I don't think I'd want to tackle the regular one.

If I work really hard on things like squats or deads early in a workout I pretty much need a short break or really easy exercise before I'm ready to hit something else hard. I can why what all those squats would be hard to follow with some hard bench sets.
    Honestly, if you look at the two next to each other, there's really not much of a difference between the Smolov and the Jr version. I think if I had come from a different program I may have been able to do the regular version, but as it is, I think I came off of the worst possible program to go straight into Smolov. The intermediate 5x5 is probably the most low volume program I can think of. The only time I ever went over 5 reps is on the back-off sets on Friday. I'm totally unconditioned for high rep work. (Which is why I puked so much on Monday).

Default Smolov: Week 1 - Day 4

Adam's Workout - 8/25/07

Squats:
    336 x 3
    336 x 3
    336 x 3
    336 x 3
    336 x 3
    336 x 3
    336 x 3
    336 x 3
    336 x 3
    336 x 3

Thoughts: This was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. I've never spent a full hour squatting though, so my thighs were burning by the 7th set or so. I feel pretty good after this session. I did some deep stretching for my hams, quads, glutes, and hips, and I really liked it. I'll start doing this after every session I think.

I got a lot of weird looks from people when they realized how many sets I was doing. There was one dude that would look at me with astonishment every time I stepped into the rack after my 5th set.

Wow!

I got a lot of weird looks from people when they realized how many sets I was doing. There was one dude that would look at me with astonishment every time I stepped into the rack after my 5th set.
    Next time I'll try not to stare.

Seriously, I'd have probably stared too.

Default Smolov: Week 2 - Day 1

Adam's Workout - 8/27/07

Squats:
    297 x 6
    297 x 6
    297 x 6
    297 x 6
    297 x 6
    297 x 6

Pushups/Pullups Supersets:
    Pushups x 12
    Pullups x 6
    Pushups x 12
    Pullups x 6
    Pushups x 12
    Pullups x 6

Thoughts: Good workout today. Good bar speed throughout all my sets on squats. I've started placing the bar about an inch lower than I normally do, and I'm liking it so far.

I decided to do some extra stuff today, but didn't want to over-exert myself so I did some bodyweight exercises. I read that article a while ago about doing pushups for shoulder health, so I'll be incorporating them into my workouts in some fashion from now on.

Adam, you have any videos of these Smolov adventures?

Quote Originally Posted by r_graz View Post
    Adam, you have any videos of these Smolov adventures?
    Unfortunately not. I do have a video of me doing 366x5 while on the intermediate 5x5. Next time I throw up during a workout, I'll try to get it on tape.

Edit: Here's the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpjJqMivbHw

starting strength coach development program
    Unfortunately not. I do have a video of me doing 366x5 while on the intermediate 5x5.
    Wow, impressive. You didn't appear to be really even working till the last rep.
    Next time I throw up during a workout, I'll try to get it on tape.
    No need. Imagination serves just fine for that

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast