starting strength gym
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fatass learns to fit

Default Fatass learns to fit

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Long story short: Been a fat guy pretty much all my adult life, started to get my shit together at age 45. Lost the weight, had a myxoma removed, and started on SS on March 18, 2014.

I have a home gym setup, but sadly low ceilings and no pullup bar (yet), so I've substituted seated overhead press for standing press as well as lat pulldowns for pullups.

<hr>

Week 21

Squats 210 lbs x 3 x 5
    Seated overhead press 105 x 3 x 5
    Power cleans 95 x 5 x 3
    Lat pulldowns 75 x 3 x 12

All new personal records.

I started wearing a belt for squats as I have a tendency to squat-morning; it seems to help me maintain good form the two sessions I've used it.

Tonight was deadlift night

Squats 190 lbs x 2 x 5
    Bench press 155 x 3 x 5
    Deadlifts 235 x 1 x 5
    Lying triceps extention 55 x 5 x 8 (last set 9 reps)

I've been dropping 10% off squats on deadlift day as I can't hit five pounds per session on squats despite a round of deloads.
    Bench press is on the last part of the first deload. Going for 160 x 3 x 5 next time - something I couldn't hit in three sessions last go-around,
    Deadlifts are last day of deloads for form work. I was setting my shoulders too far forward and couldn't break it off the floor. This is much better.

I like lying tricep extensions. They're just plain fun.

This morning, I loaded what was my pre-op every day carry bag. All told it weighs in between thirty and forty pounds depending on what I need for the day. It's job is to get me out of Boston and get home in the event of disasters. Today it's loaded with IT gear I'm disposing of at work via our recycling system.

I don't remember humping the pack being this EASY before. 2/3 mile, 9:20 isn't bad.

Welcome. Brian here. Going to follow along. Same age range - -I need to dump some extra weight. What kind of bag do you use for your "Carry Bag"? Did you start walking with a weighted back or did you build up to it? You still planning on keeping walking a part of your training regimen?

Sorry for the lambast of questions - at 6' 1" approx 310 lbs I am interested. Well done.

(reply got eaten)

I have an Opsrey Kestrel 48 pack, 48 liters of fun. I got it when the other backpack was causing a lot of shoulder strain from the weight I was carrying in it and needed a pack that actually rode on my hips. I'll keep walking because I like to, and I play Ingress through the city on the way.

I'd be wary of adding weight if you're already overweight for the potential additional joint issues it can cause, but if your ankles, hips, and knees are solid go for it.

Week 22

Squats 215 lbs x 3 x 5
    Seated overhead press 107.5 x 5 x 3
    Power cleans 100 x 5 x 3
    Lat pulldowns 80 x 8,9,10

Squats went up easy, surprisingly.

I've been trading off OHP 3 x 5 with 5 x 3 when I don't think I can get five by three sets. So far, so good. Also, two additional pairs of CAP spring clamps weight 2.5 lbs total. Yay for microloading on a budget.

Loaded up the backpack I talked about above with 40 lbs of gear today and walked around the city. It was way easier than I remember it, and I managed three miles at a 4MPH pace.
    Last edited by I_iz_a_fatass; 08-22-2014 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Typing in hard.

Week 22 still

Squats 196.25 lbs x 2 x 5
    Bench press 160 x 3 x 5
    Deadlifts 240 x 1 x 5
    Lying triceps extension 55 x 5 x 9,10,10

Found a great length of chain I'd forgotten I had. Each link is an ounce, so I can start making my own microloads.
    Bench press is a new PR because I FINALLY got 3x5 straight across after deloading when I got stuck.
    Deadlift is a new PR as well; had some lower back rounding on the last rep but still locked it out.

Today was a good day.

Week 23 begins.

Squats 220 lbs x 3 x 5
    Seated overhead press 107.5 x 5 x 3 (last set 4)
    Power cleans 105 x 5 x 3
    Lat pulldowns 80 x 3 x 30

Squats were a struggle. I'm going to increase rest between sets from four minutes to five. Also, need more plates.
    Seated OHP is stalling hard.
    Cleans are still going up, but they're slowing. I still catch one or two reps on my hands.

Deadlift day, how I love you so.

Squats 197.5 lbs x 2 x 5 (~90% of last 3x5 PR)
    Bench press 162.5 x 3 x 5
    Deadlifts 245 x 1 x 5
    Lying triceps extension 55 x 3 x 10

Started using a belt on deads as well. I need that little edge for stability, especially with an incipient inguinal hernia starting to evidence itself.
    Also started microloading on bench press since I had to deload at 160lbs.

Slow progress is still progress
    Last edited by I_iz_a_fatass; 08-28-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Corrected math errors. Typing is hard.

starting strength coach development program
    Week 23 end

Squats 225 lbs x 4, 2, 5
    Seated overhead press 107.5 x 5, 4, 3
    Power cleans 110 x 5 x 3
    Lat pulldowns 80 x 3 x 10, 10, 11

Well, that sucked.

The belt I have came with the Craigslist weight set and uses velcro to secure it. It's too big.
    On rep four of set one it fucking blew open. I barely got out of the hole on that one, and stapled myself on the next. I knew I shouldn't have attempted rep 5 before I did. This got into my head and I bailed twice on rep 3 of set 2, doing quarter-squats before reracking it in utter frustration. Set three went the way they were supposed to.

So, what should have been the triumphant two plate squat was a total train wreck. I'll keep them the same for the next volume day.

OHP I changed grip by moving my hands about 3/8 of an inch closer on each side and it got me out of the hole a little easier.

Cleans on the new 25lb bumpers went well, at least.
    Last edited by I_iz_a_fatass; 08-30-2014 at 02:40 PM. Reason: don't submit before proofreading.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast