132, 220, 308, 385 132, 220, 308, 385 - Page 89

starting strength gym
Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 397987888990 LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 892

Thread: 132, 220, 308, 385

  1. #881
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    2,862

    Default

    • starting strength seminar august 2022
    • starting strength seminar october 2022
    • starting strength seminar december 2022
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Thank you, sir. I learned I need to be patient, and keep the bar close, when I feel the shakes coming on.
    That's gold right there...

  2. #882
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    That's gold right there...
    I know, right? If it's a 1RM one has trained for, nobody wants to give up too quick, with all the time invested, so as long as the bar is still moving, patience is the way to go.

  3. #883
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,825

    Default

    Yesterday I finally hit a plate milestone PR I hadn't been able to achieve for a while: DL 315x5. I hadn't been able to get past 310x5 for a while.

    I don't think it was psychological. I usually gassed out after 3-4 reps. I misread an article here that recommended taking your breath before you bend over and grip the bar.

    But I went back to taking my breath after I bent over and found I had more gas for the end of a set of 5. Bonus: I also found a difference in the effectiveness of a hook grip for singles, versus a multi rep set. If I take a hook grip for a single with the bar closer to my finger tips, it feels like the bar has significantly less distance to travel. But if I do it for a multi rep set, it slips out of my hand. I still hook grip for multi rep sets, but I get the bar closer up in the web of my thumb than for singles. I was pleasantly surprised to see a thread in Rip's Q & A about this very same thing.

  4. #884
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Nice achievement 👏

  5. #885
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Posts
    1,442

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Yesterday I finally hit a plate milestone PR I hadn't been able to achieve for a while: DL 315x5. I hadn't been able to get past 310x5 for a while.

    I don't think it was psychological. I usually gassed out after 3-4 reps. I misread an article here that recommended taking your breath before you bend over and grip the bar.

    But I went back to taking my breath after I bent over and found I had more gas for the end of a set of 5. Bonus: I also found a difference in the effectiveness of a hook grip for singles, versus a multi rep set. If I take a hook grip for a single with the bar closer to my finger tips, it feels like the bar has significantly less distance to travel. But if I do it for a multi rep set, it slips out of my hand. I still hook grip for multi rep sets, but I get the bar closer up in the web of my thumb than for singles. I was pleasantly surprised to see a thread in Rip's Q & A about this very same thing.
    Congrats!
    (I always hook, singles, sets, with chalk - mixed just feels weird, DOH is more slippy, and I have pretty long thumbs/fingers).

  6. #886
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Nice achievement ��
    Thank you, sir.

  7. #887
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,825

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by granny View Post
    Congrats!
    (I always hook, singles, sets, with chalk - mixed just feels weird, DOH is more slippy, and I have pretty long thumbs/fingers).
    I know, right? Do you tape your thumbs? Long thumbs and fingers are definitely an advantage for hook. Thanks!

  8. #888
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,825

    Default

    It's summer, and your gym might use big shop fans to supplement the central a/c like mine does. Pro-tip: if you point one at the rack you are using, and then proceed to hang from the chin bar, maybe tuck your T shirt into your pants, even if it's just temporarily. There can be a Marilyn Monroe standing over the steaming grate effect. Everyone will be able to estimate your body composition percentage.

    Ask me how I know.

  9. #889
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    896

    Default

    You don't need my shirt up to tell that boy eats too many taters...HA HA!

  10. #890
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,825

    Default

    starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    You don't need my shirt up to tell that boy eats too many taters...HA HA!
    With me, I don't think it's the taters (or the red meat). It must be all the butter I fry my eggs in, and the ice cream before bed.

Page 89 of 90 FirstFirst ... 397987888990 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •