starting strength gym
Page 89 of 91 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 LastLast

Thread: 132, 220, 308, 385

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Thank you, sir. I learned I need to be patient, and keep the bar close, when I feel the shakes coming on.
    That's gold right there...

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    That's gold right there...
    I know, right? If it's a 1RM one has trained for, nobody wants to give up too quick, with all the time invested, so as long as the bar is still moving, patience is the way to go.

Yesterday I finally hit a plate milestone PR I hadn't been able to achieve for a while: DL 315x5. I hadn't been able to get past 310x5 for a while.

I don't think it was psychological. I usually gassed out after 3-4 reps. I misread an article here that recommended taking your breath before you bend over and grip the bar.

But I went back to taking my breath after I bent over and found I had more gas for the end of a set of 5. Bonus: I also found a difference in the effectiveness of a hook grip for singles, versus a multi rep set. If I take a hook grip for a single with the bar closer to my finger tips, it feels like the bar has significantly less distance to travel. But if I do it for a multi rep set, it slips out of my hand. I still hook grip for multi rep sets, but I get the bar closer up in the web of my thumb than for singles. I was pleasantly surprised to see a thread in Rip's Q & A about this very same thing.

Nice achievement 👏

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Yesterday I finally hit a plate milestone PR I hadn't been able to achieve for a while: DL 315x5. I hadn't been able to get past 310x5 for a while.

I don't think it was psychological. I usually gassed out after 3-4 reps. I misread an article here that recommended taking your breath before you bend over and grip the bar.

But I went back to taking my breath after I bent over and found I had more gas for the end of a set of 5. Bonus: I also found a difference in the effectiveness of a hook grip for singles, versus a multi rep set. If I take a hook grip for a single with the bar closer to my finger tips, it feels like the bar has significantly less distance to travel. But if I do it for a multi rep set, it slips out of my hand. I still hook grip for multi rep sets, but I get the bar closer up in the web of my thumb than for singles. I was pleasantly surprised to see a thread in Rip's Q & A about this very same thing.
    Congrats!
    (I always hook, singles, sets, with chalk - mixed just feels weird, DOH is more slippy, and I have pretty long thumbs/fingers).

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Nice achievement ��
    Thank you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by granny View Post
    Congrats!
    (I always hook, singles, sets, with chalk - mixed just feels weird, DOH is more slippy, and I have pretty long thumbs/fingers).
    I know, right? Do you tape your thumbs? Long thumbs and fingers are definitely an advantage for hook. Thanks!

It's summer, and your gym might use big shop fans to supplement the central a/c like mine does. Pro-tip: if you point one at the rack you are using, and then proceed to hang from the chin bar, maybe tuck your T shirt into your pants, even if it's just temporarily. There can be a Marilyn Monroe standing over the steaming grate effect. Everyone will be able to estimate your body composition percentage.

Ask me how I know.

You don't need my shirt up to tell that boy eats too many taters...HA HA!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J View Post
    You don't need my shirt up to tell that boy eats too many taters...HA HA!
    With me, I don't think it's the taters (or the red meat). It must be all the butter I fry my eggs in, and the ice cream before bed.