starting strength gym
Page 132 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 1721

Thread: Granny's Log (deb)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    Cody Annino was the coach, very nice guy, and it was in Moodus, CT, a place I had never heard of before that's way the heck on the eastern side of the state; took me 3 hours to drive there. Yeah they definitely want to eliminate the arm pulling, and get you to jump when the bar is what about a third of the way up the thigh. One thing that helped me was concentrating on almost stomping my feet on the landing, that made the whole movement crisper. I think it's the shoulders won't let the elbows go as high as they need to, but probably it's everything you mentioned as well
    Sounds cool; good luck; worth trying loosening/stretching triceps, upper back, lats....all of it, load a heavy bar in the rack and practice racking under it.

There is no dark side of the moon? and there's no "jumping" in weightlifting.

(Think about it; does "jump" = you/COM are moving UP?
    BUT - moving your feet in weightlifting seems to me the opposite: your body is moving DOWN - you HAVE to move down, there just is no time with heavier weight)

Week 13 - Deload 9_20_21
    Comp Squat
    (95-140) 135x5x2s @6.5, @7
    Press (55-65) 60x5x2s @6, @6.5
    Pause BK DL (145-180) 165x4x2s @6
    Leg Press 100x10x3s @4RIR (burners)
    Vup (2-3RIR) 3x12,x11,x10 @2-3RIR
    Got a mark on my neck from hella knurl bar; pcln such a light weight - still remember one of the doctors (announcers at national WL meets) telling me, stop pulling your cleans to your chin . (nipples ftw)

I think you get a little "jump" to get the explosive power on the way up, to get upward momentum on the bar so you have a chance to get under it. You don't try to jump over something but if you explosively get all that weight moving upward, body plus bar, your feet may briefly leave terra firma. If you look at Talakhadze's lifts in these past Olympics there was air under them thar feet But that's a young man's game, and that train left the station long ago.

I think you get a little "jump" to get the explosive power on the way up, to get upward momentum on the bar so you have a chance to get under it. You don't try to jump over something but if you explosively get all that weight moving upward, body plus bar, your feet may briefly leave terra firma. If you look at Talakhadze's lifts in these past Olympics there was air under them thar feet But that's a young man's game, and that train left the station long ago.

My point wasn't that you shouldn't move your feet at all. Yes your feet usually move - at the end of the explosion - you're not "jumping" when the bar is on the lower third of the quad, that's too early and tends to loop the bar OUT. Jumping, misnomer for me.

Chad Vaughn - when do his feet move? before the bar goes up? or AFTER the explosion? more as a consequence of it? He is almost flatfooted into power position.
    Login • Instagram
    (yeah I know it's Chad Vaughn, a pro....and you're talking teaching to beginners, I get it, so I included a good coach teaching "jumping". Chad is one of my favorite lifters/coaches, has content to fix EVERYTHING, and, I love him <3 <3 <3 <3).

Many coaches, many thoughts on teaching. All have valid points.
    Reorienting to Your Legs in the Pull (Dan Bell, the guy that got this old dog to finally realize its LEG DRIVE)
    Lifting The Feet Is Not Jumping - Lifting Vs. Sliding In The Snatch & Clean - Olympic Weightlifting & Instructional Video - Catalyst Athletics

But, what do I know? I'm a crappy lifter and I respect all coaches; ALL of them, know way more than me.
    YMMV

We agree on the result, just I called this 'jumping' but this is what I meant and how I end up: "A jump is an elevation of the center of mass above its resting level—in other words, the body as a whole moves up off the floor. However, lifting the feet in a snatch or clean isn’t jumping. The feet are elevated off the floor, but the body as a whole moves down. This is the exact opposite of jumping—it’s falling.

In a snatch or clean, the lifter actively pulls under the bar after reaching the top of the pull. To do this, the pressure against the floor initially needs to be removed to prevent resistance. Lifting the feet completely off the floor ensures zero resistance and allows maximal acceleration down."

My body mass is down in a low position as the only way for me to get under the bar.

We agree on the result, just I called this 'jumping' but this is what I meant and how I end up: "A jump is an elevation of the center of mass above its resting level—in other words, the body as a whole moves up off the floor. However, lifting the feet in a snatch or clean isn’t jumping. The feet are elevated off the floor, but the body as a whole moves down. This is the exact opposite of jumping—it’s falling.

In a snatch or clean, the lifter actively pulls under the bar after reaching the top of the pull. To do this, the pressure against the floor initially needs to be removed to prevent resistance. Lifting the feet completely off the floor ensures zero resistance and allows maximal acceleration down."

My body mass is down in a low position as the only way for me to get under the bar.
    Correct. AFTER the FINISH, after explosion.

Week 13, Deload, Day 2
    Comp Bench
    95x5x3s @6
    Comp Squat Technique 125x3x2s @6
    Pendlay Rows (3-4 RIR) 80x10x2s @4, @3RIR 80x8 @3
    DB Press (3-4 RIR) 10's x12, x11x2s @3RIR
    Tricep Pushdown 30x10 x8x2s @3RIR
    Hammer Curl 10's x10x3s @3RIR
    Giant set DB Press, Tri Bi
    We have some kind of stomach ick atm. Ugh.

What does RIR mean?

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    What does RIR mean?
    Reps in reserve. So, if I load 80# for a rep exercise, I do the required reps at xRIR, but next time I might get less reps to have the same RIR.
    Generally I find with RPE I'd lower the weight, with RIR I don't. Obviously you need to be doing reps with RIR.

TL;DR
    (I don't know what the nuance is or that it matters. I see Mike Tuchscherer vids telling me, wtf you idiot! RPE is not how you FEEL - its how you perform! So I've been videoing so I can see my bar speed. Some problems are in my own head with "should be able to" "did it two weeks ago" and being afraid to drop way down to the rpe of the day because, "seniors • intensity • lost strength" and a 20yr relationship of incessant gaslighting coupled with community/family surrounding me being duped by the gaslighter, so that I believed maybe I really WAS crazy - 10yrs after, still plagued with some level of self-doubt).

The Benefits of Using RPE/RIR in Training

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the explanation and the link. It's hard to keep up with all the acronyms. I've been involved in the auto repair and the list gets longer every day.
    You are doing plenty of hard work, in the long run that's what it's all about.