starting strength gym
Page 20 of 173 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Granny's Log (deb)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    You surely have a high degree of temper control.
    Oh no, Not when I’m messed with. I’m bitchy at times. there’s a line between someone just starting in earnest and someone w ALL the accoutrements who wants to look the part but evidently does not want to actually DO HARD things. Idk, Id seen him before and thought he’s prob the latter and that’s fine....as long as he’s not wasting MY time.
    Im not MEAN, i helped a girl out who had belt questions for her squat; that’s not wasted time; she’s squatting for months; she thanked me yesterday said huge diff, I probably should have told her about ss and if she went to correct depth she could catch a bounce makes it easier (this is true for half the gym but maybe they’re high on purpose.)
    but most ladies are there to be a little toned and have a not-flat ass; it’s looks for them. This separates us to a degree.
    Me, i want to see how strong I can get. Looks idc. Age strangely frees you.
    Probably I’m seen as too serious; the old lady trying to lift w the guys; idc though lol.

Default S&M40+

C19,W2,D3 3_4_18 Sunday
    OHP Light 3's 80#/3 (5)
    BENCHPRESS HEAVY 3s 120#/3 (3) 1# more than last time. Got the two finger f-off from the spotter on the last rep!!
    Incline Bench 85#/8, 80#/8 (2)

I follow janecekstrength on Instagram he is a SS coach with a gym in Texas,he trains many men and women of a certain age,and they aren't worried so much about how they look,they just want to be stronger to keep on going.Those younger people will older if their lucky,then they may understand what your doing and why.Maybe!

whatevs.
    3_5_18 Monday 2.2mi dog walk; still no power from noreaster, so office is closed!

Default S&M40+

C19,W2,D4 3_6_18 Tuesday
    Squat Light Triples 155#/3 (5)
    DEADLIFT HEAVY 3's 230#/3 (3) Still in possession of internal organs & no spinal jenga! A year ago this was a dubious 1RM. Procrastinated, NY pull camp sold out. KEEPing my upper back set is what needs work.
    RDL 155#/6 (3)
    Shrug dumbbells, 40#/10 (3)
    STILL NO POWER, I went and brought my office setup home, they've been saying power restored by 3/7 11/30PM, now its 3/8 at 11:30 PM - its only a few business that are out. And another nor'easter rolling in tonite, another 8-12 or 12-18" of snow is expected. Forced vacation time, I guess.

Default S&M40+

C19,W3,D1 3_8_18 Thursday

OHP HEAVY 1's 100#/1, f, 1 (FM, lost my focus/timing, peripheral vision disrupted rep 2. !!
    I can tell I'm not able to do 100# from a deadstop. #weaksauce. I have been almost exclusively 1.0, 1.5 - so last few training cycles I've been pressing all my warmups (on benchpress too) from a dead stop. It seems harder.
    CBGP 106#/7, 7, 8 (added a pound - had a happy ending, pleased w/the 8)
    LTE Snow so gym relatively empty, yet all flat benches occupied so on the benchpress w/bar: 45#/12, 12, 10
    Cable Pressdown 50#+40#/10+10, 40#/10, 40#/10, 30#/10, 20#/10

Quote Originally Posted by granny View Post

And, crowded. Clearly I should rotate my days and screw the other members.
    Had a small run-in today; All angled racks were taken; and I saw this guy curling in the gym's only power rack - with look like never used gloves, wrist wraps below the joint w/ loops on his thumbs, and an empty bar. taken off the pins. then he added 2.5# ?
    Me: Hi. Are you going to squat after? I have to squat.
    He said, wait I cant hear. Sets the bar on the pins, Im not squatting, just curling.
    Me: IN the rack???
    He said, well, I can move, if you want. I mean, but Ill have to move the whole bar!
    Me: well, if you can move it; I have to squat.
    Him: I only have 2 more sets
    Me: Ok, that's fine, as long as you're done w/rack after.
    I go get a bar from an empty bench, walk back over to the space behind the racks, pclean it, press it, get it behind my neck, start warmups - squat 5 singles. Press, rack, put it down, wait a minute, do another set.
    Him: I'm done
    I set my stuff next to the rack.
    Him, all agitated: And listen, NEVER interrupt like that again. That's dangerous. You interrupted me, right in the middle of A SET!
    I guess I was an asshole to laugh; im really very careful of not getting in sightlines or making noise or lifting when there's a heavy lift/attempt near me, I could tell this wasnt heavy curls, but who the hell am I to say what's heavy for him.
    good one ^.

I have had similar run ins.
    Our racks are more of hybrid rack-platform stations.
    People feel like the platform is some kind of stage, to do KB swings, pushups, lunges holding DBs, etc. . . .
    They don't even need the rack. They just like standing on the nice wood surface, elevated 4 inches, doing silly stuff that could be done anywhere.

Your lifting have been stupendous as usual, granny. Old 1 rep maxes are your sets now, and in another year your one rep maxes of today will be warmups.

I was a little unhappy Tuesday when my rack was filled. It was my GWP sleeping while he waited for me to finish. My growl was meaner than his and he moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    good one ^.

I have had similar run ins.
    Our racks are more of hybrid rack-platform stations.
    People feel like the platform is some kind of stage, to do KB swings, pushups, lunges holding DBs, etc. . . .
    They don't even need the rack. They just like standing on the nice wood surface, elevated 4 inches, doing silly stuff that could be done anywhere.
    Hi Fulcrum
    No platform there. This is the only power rack and only station not facing a mirror. It has straight high pullup bars w some kind of slings for upper arms in (I dont get it)...so its in demand for pullups, hanging ab work. Probably most of the people there have more problems with me, than I have with them. with my lifts. and the time it takes me to do them, and apparently how weak I am. whatever, its their gym.

Ive seen the threads with the crazy things (to US) we see where we train, probably should start one about all the comments/remarks/advice we've heard.
    I'll start:
    • During a heavy bench triple re-valsalva: "are you...you're not HOLDING your BREATH, are you?? I mean, breathe! It'll HELP, you know?!" (just what I need, to get looser than what I already struggle to overcome)
    • Asking about the purpose of what I can only describe as back rack jerk dips: "(you asshole). That's a SQUAT. Some people CAN'T get depth, if the trainer doesn't know this about his clientele, he's an asshole." (I didnt say, if they'd lower the weight, they could.)
    • "a partial rep is as good as a full rep, when you're trying to do heavy weights that you're not strong enough to do." (progresses in weight, but never to full ROM)
    • "if you're stuck on squats, you need to do other things beside squat to get past it, like hip thrusts or lunges" I can't even....

starting strength coach development program
    I was a little unhappy Tuesday when my rack was filled. It was my GWP sleeping while he waited for me to finish. My growl was meaner than his and he moved.
    Attachment 6241 That's my yellow TUdog. She'd sit right under my butt when I squat. The other one's a scaredy dog, deathly afraid of the weights when I trained home. (My SO had a GWP, but sadly he got cancer and passed away....)