starting strength gym
Page 48 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast

Thread: Granny's Log (deb)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    12_11_18 Tuesday
    Had dr. appointment, limited time, tried to squat at Old Fcuks Gym (home - uneven basement floor had to stop at 175#), and needed to make doughs.
    12_13_18 Thursday
    DL - I dont konw if I'm lifting with trepidation because, deadlifts are HARD...

Deadlift 240x1 @8,8.5 230x3 @9 220x3x2
    Comp Bench 112x1 @8 106x3 @9 103x2x2
    Squat Did Not Do

Lot of difficulty still with the vertigo. Dr. said I'm fine no problems. I'm also having problems with training compliance because I'm in make-ready for the holidays right now, my kids and grandkids all are coming to stay for the week, they're from Florida so planning on cutting a tree, plus food for 10 people, and its cookie-baking time (I make trays for my husband's clients). It's great because I only get to see them a few times a year - I dont regret it but it sucks thinking you work so hard to make gains... as soon as they get here and I get my squeezies, I'll probably forget all about training.

12_15_18 Saturday Really busy, and chiro later will hopefully help the vertigo. Trying to keep intensity and sacrifice volume during the holidays.
    Clearly I CAN tolerate the volume, unclear whether its really optimal as I age (the bain of all training). My old coach would holler at us if we left our programs out - "don't LEAVE that there and let anyone see it, those are like GOLD!!!"
    2ct Squat 125, 135, 140, 145 all for three, 160x1 @8, 155x3 @9
    TNG Bench 120x1 @8, 110x3 @9, 105x3x2 (should have done 115x3 for the 9 based on the single at 120 that felt pretty easy - happy holidays to me??)
    Press 45x6 @7, 70x6 @8.5 (should have been @9)
    So while I'm struggling with other issues, the blessing is my shoulder appears to be better. And also Texas (the ACA)!!!

NOTE TO SELF:
    12_16_18 SUNDAY DID NOT TRAIN. 2.5hr chiro saturday night, he said there was a lot of misalignment. Felt like I got hit by a truck Sun. (well, there WAS a howling cold rainstorm as well inches of rain and floods).

This week I only have Competition Squat & Press Tues., Bench & Deadlift Thurs., singles at 8, 9, 10. That's it! We shall see. Hopefully get to the gym next week or get my platform down so I can squat next week.

Anyone else catching the D-Train for the holidays??? que será! My baby took her first steps, 8mo old, chip off the old Gran.

Thanks for your kind words in my log.Sorry to hear about your back problems. At my age I have had this happen plenty of times over the years.Working as a mechanic sure was the cause.I feeling lifting weights has helped me keep my back strong. I have a Rev Hyper that I use for a set of 15 reps before every WO.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Thanks for your kind words in my log.Sorry to hear about your back problems. At my age I have had this happen plenty of times over the years.Working as a mechanic sure was the cause.I feeling lifting weights has helped me keep my back strong. I have a Rev Hyper that I use for a set of 15 reps before every WO.
    I wish there was a reverse hyper at my gym. getting older, its not for pussies.

last night worked up to 195/85 singles. Didn't sleep the night before (dog), not eating.
    I'm realizing now that its due to end this week, an extremely stressful work project we got in august is probably a big part of everything. I am covered in eczema, one eye is twitching, and I'm dreaming in other languages...(nightmare job due to other people's incompetence. I think I need to get out of this business which has become very catch-22ish.. My company: "we will be sending you new files from our client eventually; when can we get proofs?" My brain: does that even make sense; how can they send a proof of something they/we don't have? My company to me: "did you send them new files?" Me: you insist the client files are delivered to you, then you give them to me. I haven't received new files. Did you give them to me?" My company: "I didn't? we don't have new files?? send me what you have." My brain: send you old unrevised files??

I'll just have to accept I'll have to restart training-wise in January.

Thats a nice squat number,been some time for me since I went that high. Sometimes life shut gets in the waynif training. Hope things work out for you and the New Year is a better one for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Thats a nice squat number,been some time for me since I went that high. Sometimes life shut gets in the waynif training. Hope things work out for you and the New Year is a better one for all of us.
    Thanks for your kindness!! Things will work out, they always do.

12_20_18 Thursday Rt knee is bothering me.
    DEADLIFT
    220x1 @7
    235x1 @8
    245x1 @9
    broke 252 off the floor, felt heavy I knew I could do it without perfect form, wussed out bc grandkids! plus the entire gym is staring at me. REAL GRANNIES DEADLIFT. Don't they?
    COMP BENCH 1s pause
    115x1 @8
    117x1 PR @9
    120x1 @9.5 PR Expected to grind like hell, went up fairly easy, out of time and spotters for 123# @10? Happy Holidays to me.
    Here's a question; what age is now or never (because its less likely you'll get better w/time?)

Grandkids watching, too? The regular gym goers already know how tough you are.

I completely get how one could consider PRs as synonymous with Christmas gifts.

starting strength coach development program
    Oh, forgot your question about age. Barbell Logic podcast said, on average, trainees seem to be met with the need to consider taking weight off the bar around age 57-58. But I know throwing the towel in at any point would hurt more than help.