starting strength gym
Page 51 of 173 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Granny's Log (deb)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by granny View Post
    IDK if that's the sole intent... I'd say its good for sticking points (right off your chest?), it takes the rest of your body out of it (I do them straight legged - apparently I depend on my legs to benchpress a lot), and its harder to lockout the last few reps (I really feel it in my triceps?); another thing I've noticed is, it seems to be a bit easier on my shoulders.
    that makes sense. I'll be looking forward to working it into by training cycle, albeit it will not be this one.

W4,D1
    1_22_19 Tuesday
    Really tired I'm getting sick; sneezing, nose is clogged this am. So many sets, taking 5 min rests way too long; did 3 mins between squat downsets, lowered my 1x press weight (its what was there, TODAY although @9 felt more like 8, 8.5?), and took <3m rests between both pressings. Plus I had to math (76% of E1rm squat, 79% of press). Just now realizing I should have done another set of floor press @8
    Squat 180x1 @8 163x5 @9 143x5x4
    Press 80x1 @8 73x5 @9 68x5x4
    Floor Press 68x8 @6 78x8 @7 88x8x3 @8
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    Last edited by granny; 01-23-2019 at 08:17 AM.

W4,D2
    1_24_19 Thursday
    Still feel tired, but things went well; no rack for 303 squat avail; (tuesday while in the rack, a gloved guy asked if he can "do a set" ; he put the safety in the 2nd lowest hole and assumed a pushup position on it outside facing in, from whence he bobbed his head 15 times. That's a new one on me. Well. They can't all be Big Dippers). Gym needs more racks and ditch the mirrors.
    In diet news, I was told today by a WW point-counter that the rice I eat for carbs predominantly, is no good for me - "why are you eating white rice? it has no nutritional value! Isn't brown better". Maybe if my diet sucked otherwise and I had diabetes? Because I'm a dumbass?? I buy the cheapest biggest bag, this new brand I'll have to see, I've gained 4# this month, doubt its the training (wouldn't THAT be nice?) Deadlifts seem to be getting easier.
    Deadlift 235x1 @8 215x5 @9 195x5x4
    Comp Bench (1s) 115x1 @8 105x5 @9 98x5x4
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n

W4,D3
    1_26_19 Saturday
    Terrible sleep last night, due to the eczema.
    Squats were pretty good, staying light keeping my knees forward looking for excellent form. Riding bench gains like a rented mule, is this me? And DB incline, I can press way more weight its just getting DB into position that's scary, some right shoulder crepitus...but I suppose I'll get stronger?
    Pin Squat 100x4 @6 105x4 @7 115x4x3 @8
    3s Bench 85x4 @7 90x4 @8 95x4 @9 90x4x2
    DB Incline 30sx4 @7 35sx4 @8 40sx4 @9 35sx4x2
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n

W4,D4
    1_27_19 Sunday
    a little better sleep. My husband picked up a hot tub, not too hot or too long takes some of the stiff/sore away (new joke in the house afterwards YouTube). Well, I can't reach my back.
    Spotter said my bench at 112 was easy... I'm surprised.
    MS Rack Pull 210x4 @7 225x4 @8 235x4 @9 222x4x2
    CGBP 104x4 @7 107x4 @8 112x4 @9 107x4x2
    Pendlay Row 110x11x3
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n

"Chubby, will you grease Weaser?"

"Sure! Want me to change his oil, too?"

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    "Chubby, will you grease Weaser?"

"Sure! Want me to change his oil, too?"
    I'm a hot mess over here.

W5,D1
    1_29_19 Tuesday

yesterday am arms/shoulders were fatigued just blowing out my hair and I was exhausted.
    The itchy nights, not sleeping much - we're passing that dizzy thing around at work....IDK.
    Adjusted program down 5-10% on squat cut out two backoff sets out (I still cannot squat comfortably at home w/ the ladies bar, it just seems like the weight is not balanced right or something), forgot I can't press at home after warming up, floor press was inexplicably fine - could have gone up (I did 40kg).
    May need to cut some of the volume going forward, when it extends weeks and weeks, next month it drops a lot, we'll see, hard to tell when you don't sleep and winter ick going around. I slept much better last night after the hot tub (nothing like sitting in that thing with snow falling around you).
    Squat 175x1 @9 150x5 @9 135x5x2
    Press nope
    Floor Press 60x8 @6 70x8 @7 88x8x3 @8
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n

It sure is tough to lift heavy weights when you dont get a goods nights sleep and are get not feeling well.After being sick for almost a week and not eating I cut all my weights and am starting over. I keep reading too much volume is not good for us people past 40. I heard years ago that if your over trained it can cause you to have lower resistance to things like colds and flues.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    It sure is tough to lift heavy weights when you dont get a goods nights sleep and are get not feeling well.After being sick for almost a week and not eating I cut all my weights and am starting over. I keep reading too much volume is not good for us people past 40. I heard years ago that if your over trained it can cause you to have lower resistance to things like colds and flues.
    its too much when I keep skipping supplemental squats due to no rack / I'm not sleeping / I'm fighting off whatever it is. Sometimes it doesn't bother me at all.

It's germ season!! The 71yo receptionist was sick w/some ear & dizzy/cold/congestion thing Tue., went to her 2nd job (serving dinners at the retirement village) and got sent home - bp 180/150, dizzy etc. Probably doesn't help our office is chilly and retired folks are ill at her 2nd job; our office heat can't keep up, its in the 50s today inside - an exterminator and several contractors over the years told us building/windows are rotten w/holes, hasn't been addressed. Knock wood! and wash my hands.
    Everyone has a CPAP now; is it because they ALL have sinus/congestion/cold/etc issues, or do CPAPS help cause those issues (never seen so many people with sinus/cold trouble).