starting strength gym
Page 71 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121171 ... LastLast

Thread: Granny's Log (deb)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    BLOCK 19, WEEK 2, DAY 4
    11_17_19 Sunday
    Can you ever really know someone whose head you haven't held while they threw up?? I feel better today.
    Idk how I got 130 for TNG? (I look at my cell calc in a pinch, can't see and must've looked at the 3 column; Here's to THINKING and writing out what I have to hit). Stress much? Although lifting of late has been SOLID.
    Deficit Dead 240x1 @8 230x3 @9 215x3x2s
    TNG Bench 135x1 @8 127.5x4 @9 122x4x2s
    RDL 105x6 125x6 x2s
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n

BLOCK 1, WEEK 3, DAY 1
    11_19_19 TUESDAY
    Hktwn. Crowded and cathartic evening. In a squat rack facing the mirror. People LINE UP and wedge themselves between equipment to face the mirror lining the entire wall; I have always been taught (yelled at) not to look - cuz, PROPRIOCEPTION and (not that useful) feedback from only one plane. So a guy deadlifting DIRECTLY behind me, had to jump over him to get into my rack after a pee break, and a lady a couple years older than me threw me for a loop when she stood so half of her was directly behind my right side (if the rack leg wasn't there she'd be in the rack and I'd be hitting her with my ass) - to do dumbbell presses w/15# DURING my rep at 190 which was fairly fast.

what the fuckety fuck? It ain't me - but, its beyond my power to change; so I changed the only thing I could. ME. Attitude flip (FOCUS, bitch!) Its good they're at least training.

Low stress week. Got myself a squat rep PR at a true @8. (I guess it has been a mistake to treat two of my weekly squat sessions as medium and light? We'll see, rate of exertion is trending the right way. Another gymmate asked, what did I get up to...185? I guess people notice? can't be concerned because FOCUS!)
    Press I misloaded 80 but didn't redo because - low stress week.
    CGFloor press, so crowded a gymmate I'm friendly with waiting for the only rack with floor press option that I had finally nabbed - I skipped the @6 set, and should have gone up from 105s (strangely easy tonite) but did not.

Squat 190x1 @8 185x3 @9
    Press 85x1 @8 80x3 @9
    CGFloorPress 95x6 @7 105x6x2s @7.5
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    Beef stew in the instant pot! 4-5 lbs of meat done in an hour. 6qt duo, couldnt fit in all the kale/carrots/potatoes/parsnips/greenbeans was the only drawback. Couldn't find yucca, maybe there's a shortage? Everyone around me still is ill (coworker doesn't 'believe in' flu shots - blond/whitehair moment - its a flu shot not the tooth fairy).

I thought our household was the only one that bought yucca, AKA cassava. We get ours frozen, made by Goya.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    I thought our household was the only one that bought yucca, AKA cassava. We get ours frozen, made by Goya.
    Yuca, yucca, cassava, manioc whatever. Are you a hispanic household? And THANKS for this, I guess I COULD peel and freeze it when I find it; I'm rarely in the frozen aisle - just for ice cream really. Its diverse here - lot of hispanic population. My ex-motherinlaw, who escaped from Cuba in the 60's, is mostly responsible for introducing me to a whole new world of flavor. (Yuca with mojo!)

BLOCK 19, WEEK 3, DAY 2
    11_21_19 Thursday
    Told gymmate spotting, I'm going for six paused reps. "You mean YOU'RE GETTING SIX REPS". Attitude.
    Maybe slightly undershot, could have done 115. 110 was @ EZPZ. 110 may be my new 90 (is this me??)
    Deadlift 205x6 @7 215x6 @8 222x6 @9
    Pause Bench 105x6 @7 110x6 @≤8 114x6 @≤9
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n

Quote Originally Posted by granny View Post
    Yuca, yucca, cassava, manioc whatever. Are you a hispanic household? And THANKS for this, I guess I COULD peel and freeze it when I find it; I'm rarely in the frozen aisle - just for ice cream really. Its diverse here - lot of hispanic population. My ex-motherinlaw, who escaped from Cuba in the 60's, is mostly responsible for introducing me to a whole new world of flavor. (Yuca with mojo!)
    Half-hispanic, I guess. She's Brazilian. I'm a gringo.

God bless you if you are willing to peel yucca. Such a dense tuber.

Yuca with mojo sounds delicious! Once I got started on Brazilian cuisine, it was easy to cross over to enjoying Cuban, Puerto Rican, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Half-hispanic, I guess. She's Brazilian. I'm a gringo.
    I just use a sharp paring knife. Gringo household with broader tastes; I'm good with that. Interestingly those that came here are worried "the idiots" (i'm not sure to whom that refers) sound like Cuba (well, maybe Bernie, so many legitimate gripes, but a lot of his solutions are ludicrous); the cuban gov't took everything from the people who worked hard to earn land, etc. - so instead of raising people up to middle class, they brought everyone down to the same level. My ex remembers their plantation, having all their stuff taken, and ration tickets taken away (because his dad left for the US) and people trying to break down their door, he was hiding with his mom and brother, trying to defend them with a machete bigger than he was (he was eight, his brother was 6). Lot of corruption. I'm not sure that could happen here (the takeover, not the corruption).

BLOCK 19, WEEK 3, DAY 3
    11_23_19 Saturday
    Overshot squat triple (due to fatigue from the 185s?) and bench triple. Undershot press a little but I was done by then. Still fighting against the ick all around me.
    2ct Squat 175x1 @8 170x3 @9.5
    2ct Bench 125x1 @8 120x3 @9.5
    Press 60x6 @7 70x6 @8 75x6 @8.5

BLOCK 19, WEEK 3, DAY 4
    11_24_19 Sunday
    The. hay. is. in. the. barn. I'll be really thankful if I do well with maxes over the next two weeks.
    a tiny back tweak on the all black rogue platform, when the load was not evenly distributed during warmups. I told them they need to tape the safeties so they can be seen, too many of us tripping. Common sense.
    2" deficit Dead 240x1 @8 230x3 @9
    TNG Bench 135x1 @8.5 127x4 @9
    RDL 100x6 @6 115x6 @7 125x6x2s @8
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n

starting strength coach development program
    Noticing for TNG s/b 3@9, should have done 130x3. oh well. TNG - the spotter said, you got this, easy - I know - I WATCH you.
    I'm even noticing a tiny bit of chesticular hypertrophy (is that a thing?)
    Even though I'm not prime age for lifting, I'm grateful to have made some progress. Thanks to SS, BBM, spotters at the gym, etc etc etc.