Page 8 of 173 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Granny's Log (deb)

Default S&M40+

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    CYCLE 13, WEEK 1, DAY 3 10_22_17 Sunday

OHP Light
    80#/3 misload! moved it fast because I knew I should be able to, it FELT heavy.
    75#/3 (4) (moved up bc new 5's weight)
    HEAVY BENCH 5's
    104.4#/5 (3)
    Incline Bench 55#, 65#, 75# all x10
    Yankees lose.....Yankees LOSE!!! Eh, Houston's due for something good. Blood pressure still 104/58. TODAY I could feel my lats during press and bench. Maybe my problem with rows and pulldowns was too lite? My SO called me a lat-slacker. Lat-slacker Granny, oldest one in the gym. That's me.

Majorly impressed and inspired reading through this. Awesome work!

Default S&M40+

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
    Majorly impressed and inspired reading through this. Awesome work!
    Thanks!

CYCLE 13, WEEK 1, DAY 4 10_22_17 Tuesday

Squat Light Triples
    153#/3 (5) eh. 4th set was the best. need to STOP thinking about the back
    DEADLIFT Heavy 5's
    135#/5 (2), 155#/5, 170#/3, 185#/2
    200#/2 (grip? hip was twinging here)
    200#/3 (3)
    SG RDL 135#/4, 3, 3 (struggled with grip on DL and RDL, wth? that never happens.)
    Shrug 145#/10 (3)
    Kind of a sucky session... what's w/SS homepage, weightlifting for people my age? I never SEE any women my age. I put my foot in my mouth Sunday, asking two ladies their age because they looked like they could be my age, and they were in the weight area (albeit doing things on one leg and with a cable, that I could never do).... they answered "40s! almost 50!" Tactless, that's me. I didnt tell them I'm almost 60. Gym had flyers up today w/a donkey and "wanna small ass for the holidays?” $75 October 30-December xx". Yeah. All my life. Its not going anywhere now; how about learning English, and what about a bigger squat for $75? or a 135# bench press?? I'd bite on that. Strangely the 40's 50s ladies all seem intent on building teeny, tiny little muscles with very low bodyfat so you can see muscle separation...but unfortunately they look like starving birds with hanging skin to me - it reminds me of the adobo chicken wings I make, cooked in beer for so long that they LOOK kinda dry and sticky (but my wings are not inside).
    It’s not a problem if they want to LOOK a certain way, but they’re not that strong. How would it help me in terms of lifting a 200# husband if I had to? Carrying furniture, doing landscaping? Some of my elders cannot lift a leg to take a step. It’s a scary place, middle age, when you look ahead.
    Last edited by granny; 10-25-2017 at 05:06 AM.

Default S&M40+

CYCLE 13, WEEK 2, DAY 1 10_26_17 Thursday
    Back/neck/shoulders all toast, prob from deadlifts. PMS time should be soon.
    OHP HEAVY 3's
    85#/3 (3) PR Surprised myself. Bar path, bar path, bar path.
    CGBP
    96#/8, 7, 8. I might go up unless PMS smacks me down. Lost my tight on second set, not a strength issue.
    Triceps
    LTE 41#/12 (3)
    STE 20#/10 (3)
    Cable Pressdowns 50#/10, 50#+40#+30#+20#/5+5+5+5 (3).
    Ouchie. I don't even SEE any damned triceps, wth.

Default S&M40+

CYCLE 13, WEEK 2, DAY 2 10_28_17 Saturday
    Early. Sleep: 4 hours!!!
    SQUAT HEAVY 3's
    170#/3 (3) too lite!
    Powerclean
    90#/2 (2), 95#/2 (2), 100#/2, 105#/2, 110#/2 (2). Sucked, sucks when youre tired and having to lower..first rep at 110 was good, next one I had to chase forward. Back tired from DLs.
    Lat Pulldowns 80#/10, 90#/10, 90#/5+80#/5
    Bent BB Row 90#/10 (2)
    Curls 50#/10 (3)

Default S&M40+

CYCLE 13, WEEK 2, DAY 3 10_29_17 Sunday
    Better sleep, albeit two beers last night and out late at a wedding.
    OHP Light Triples
    75#/3 (5)
    BENCH HEAVY TRIPLES
    110#/3 (3) no problems. Girl spotting me was saying her forearms are too short for her to get the barbell to her chest. I would have guessed its the opposite, trouble with longer arms? IDK Im too long in the waist, thigh & arms. Im not built for lifting. OTOH my trunk/shoulders are a lot wider than hers.
    Incline Bench
    65#/10, 75#/10, 75#/10
    YORK BARBELL on the landing page!! Interesting stuff/history at York in PA. I competed at the PA State/Open WLing meet in York a few years ago, 2013? Won a gold medal w/a 47kg snatch/60kg pcn&j. Good times!

Training for strength as we get older is sure a good idea.One of my best friends injured himself last seek helping a neighbor move a couch.He said he went to lift one end,heard a snap,dropped his end and felt a sharp pain .Next day his arm was blue from wrist to shoulder. Turned out he tore his bicep.He has been a runner for years,and the last few years is since he retired looking thinner.I sure am weaker now than I was at 50 due to aging and some time away from training . I made a little progress in the last 3 years back at it. What keeps me going is knowing how much weaker I would have been if in hadn't started again. I do know never ask a lady about her age or when she's due. You sure are.making great progress.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Training for strength as we get older is sure a good idea.One of my best friends injured himself last seek helping a neighbor move a couch.He said he went to lift one end,heard a snap,dropped his end and felt a sharp pain .Next day his arm was blue from wrist to shoulder. Turned out he tore his bicep.He has been a runner for years,and the last few years is since he retired looking thinner.I sure am weaker now than I was at 50 due to aging and some time away from training . I made a little progress in the last 3 years back at it. What keeps me going is knowing how much weaker I would have been if in hadn't started again. I do know never ask a lady about her age or when she's due. You sure are.making great progress.
    Hi Brooklyn J. Thanks, I'll have to check out your log. Yes its important to maintain strength - and you still have to be lucky! Knowing how much weaker I'd be is also part of why I lift. Me, I would ask people's ages, but not question the veracity of reasons for not touching chest in BP (I thought her elbows were wrong + weight was too heavy - but I'm no coach! I've been going by SS FTMP personally.) Progress, we'll see!

Great lifting as always, granny.

Wisht you were my granny back in the day. You'd open your own darned jars! Heh!

Default S&M40+

starting strength coach development program
    thanks.
    CYCLE 13, WEEK 2, DAY 4 10_31_17 Tuesday
    Squat Light 3's
    150#/3 (5)
    DEADLIFT HEAVY 3's
    205/3, 205/3, 205/1 I admit I'm scared to push it
    SLDL 135#/7 (3) strict, yes I DID these dammit
    Mississippi Shrug 135#/10 (pause contracted for 2 sec)

Kind of a weird session. My knees back shoulders all of it hurt today. Could be from PMS? Kinda sucks at singles week. Forgot my fractionals, so 150 not 152 or 153. Deadlift my hip felt ok DOING the exercises, but pulled when I stood up.
    I have a huge lordotic curve (40 yrs at a computer) so maybe more stretching & abs? Maybe have to retool the whole lift. I've noticed in highbar squats when the weight is heaviest its easier to keep a more neutral back curve, albeit with a narrower stance....

Page 8 of 173 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast