Page 62 of 173 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Granny's Log (deb)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    BLOCK 14 WEEK 3 DAY 1
    5_29_19 Tuesday
    Pivot Week
    Went for followup mammo today; next step is biopsy. Still trying to contact my Dr., whose office staff say vitamin D/Calcium won't help w/osteopenia, which if true would make the fact that the dr. told me to take them - nonsense. ??? There must be plenty of ladies who crush these things like cheetos - I don't see why I shouldn't. YouTube

Got to the gym late after in a no nonsense eff this mood: crowded, no rack/bench, so I pcleaned & pressed. I'm either a big old pansy, or I have spurts of strength and/or my mental attitude is not always right while training. There must be several good books on that???

* 90# press @8 flew, light AF, six @9 no big.
    * Squat: FOB (fear of back) after the 185, I could feel it. Next time I need to mentally push through and just do it; it'll either go ok, or not.
    * 3 ct. bench - who thinks of these cruel things?? Multiple re-tights needed and ouchie this am.

I'll have to walk back my gray hair comment - two 15yos in the supermarket said they love my hair and how did I do it. Reverse ombre go me.

Press 90x1 @8 77x6 @9
    Squat 185x1 @8 165x2 @FO Back
    3ct Bench 75x8 @7 85x8 @8 95x8 @9
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n

"You need to come up with some kind of visualization or mantra to get your head right to attack a hard set. Eyeball that bar, hard. Focus. Let everything else in the room melt away. Decide DEFINITIVELY that this set is getting done. Period. Be a little pissed off.
    Remember it's the grindy reps that make us strong. Don't shy away from the ones that count." (thanks, A.S.)
    Last edited by granny; 05-29-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Default Living Forever, Or Dying in the Attempt

BLOCK 14, WEEK 3, DAY 2
    5_30_19 Thursday
    No pain while training, back/hip is sore this am. Took it easy w/3-0-3 used as strict technique work.
    1s Bench, 125# was easy AF! Should have gone up but wary after 3ct bench, maybe be an 8.5? Puts my e1Rm between 135 and 141 - is this me??

Trying to navigate the healthcare clusterfuck as a self pay is not simple. Labcorp couldn't process my payment; waited an hour for a 2 minute blood draw. Tried to book a biopsy: "self pay - you'll have to be paid in full before". Ok, what is the entire cost? "cost? we don't know til after".
    Here's to living forever, or dying in the attempt!!

Deadlift 250x1 @8 220x6 @8.5
    1s Bench 125x1 ez @8 115x6 @9
    3-0-3 Squat 85x8 @ez 95x8 @ez 110x8 @ez
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n

BLOCK 14, WEEK 3 DAY 3
    6/1/2019 Saturday

Bench IDK. Stopped at 130, definitely had two more didn't want to overshoot at 135. Originally loaded 122 for 5, was thinking I'd be fatigued from the 3ct plus stress of the week, so decided on 120. Regardless this was very doable. Press @9 was rx'd, didn't do. Chiro now, will see what's up with the back/hip.
    Pin Squat 155x1 @8 140x5 @9
    TNG Bench 130x1 @8 120x5 @9
    Press Beltless 55x8 @7 60x8 @7.5 65x8 @8
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n

BLOCK 14, WEEK 3, DAY 4
    6/2/2019 Sunday

Back still wonky. L1, L3, and L5 - all were out and took forever to adjust.
    Today was exercises I haven't done in a long while. DL fine.
    Pin bench 130 felt so great in my chest muscles. PR.
    Hip thrusts, never done. I couldn't really go to an RPE on those because I didn't feel anything at 115, or 135, or 185 - other than my own pubic bone - and I was pausing for a sec or two at the top. WTH? Very unpleasant. Maybe hamstrings? I figured the appropriate muscles will probably be squawking tomorrow.
    Slacker Granny.
    2ct Deadlift 210x1 @8 190x5 @9
    Pin Bench 130x1 @8 PR 118x5 @9
    Hip Thrust 115x8 @7 135x8 @?? 185x8 @??
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n
    n

I never did hip thrusts,in fact I never even heard of them until all the booty trainers on Instagram started posting them. I did just last week see someone is making a machine to do then using a belt around the hips to eliminate the bar pain.

I hope everything works out well.
    You can't count on the getting right answer about training from anyone but a doctor, and then they tend to be conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    I hope everything works out well.
    You can't count on the getting right answer about training from anyone but a doctor, and then they tend to be conservative.
    $8,000 later - just cysts & I've been chipped! Dr. said I had osteopenia - supplement with calcium go for bloodwork, bloodwork showed sky high calcium normal D, dr said too much supplement stop it; sees a little osteopenia in one area of hip, hip OVERALL doesn't look bad but they are concentrating on that neck of the hip; spine looks denser than a lot of younger folks but it could be arthritis causing that (although I don't seem to have it by dr. looking at my hands). Dr. can't recommend lifestyle changes (I'm already doing it all) my only risk factor's age (menopause/lack of estrogen).
    The upshot?
    "Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Press aren't helpful for the hips. what about cardio?"
    Sure, I do cardio 2x a week on the rower but if time's an issue that's the sesh that's dropped.
    "NO. Not helpful - cardio should be weight bearing for your hip....i.e., WALKING. Don't skip this."

I wish there were more weight-training old ladies around to commiserate with. I think this may be bullshit.
    keep on keepin' on!

-_- That feeling when your doctor says squats and deadlifts are not weight bearing for your hip...

Why not show him some of your lifting videos? Or give him your copy of Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (better yet, The Barbell Prescription)?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    -_- That feeling when your doctor says squats and deadlifts are not weight bearing for your hip...
    Why not show him some of your lifting videos? Or give him your copy of Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training (better yet, The Barbell Prescription)?
    No one's interested in an old lady's shabby lifting. She DID say, maybe deadlifts are good for your hip (I DID get her to come to CF with me, when I did CF – 10 yrs ago.) I'm thinking it's the only thing to point to as a proactive prophylactive step. Also, being thin is a risk factor! (Do you think the older ladies who look like fried string beans know?) I'd like to lose some fat, but not necessarily weight - changing my whole diet around.
    I'm still researching. https://www.concept2.com/files/pdf/u...teoporosis.pdf

starting strength coach development program
    6_27_19 Thursday
    comp bench, 130x8.5, 127x2 (rep PR), 125x2x2 (rep PR?) why is this so easy like possessed by superwoman, but other times its toooo heavy? #oldage