starting strength gym
Page 72 of 173 FirstFirst ... 2262707172737482122172 ... LastLast

Thread: Granny's Log (deb)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    BLOCK 19, WEEK 4, DAY 2
    11_28_19 Thursday
    FLANDERS: Note to self - glaring sun at this hour, wow! cannot even see my mark.

Sunrise at the gym. Competition bench: 135# @10. 127@8.5,9? Disappointing. I just wasn't feeling it, couldn't find my back tightness. Did 140 no liftoff needed but w spotter helping (he thought I should feel what a heavier weights like - said I’m strong enough - maybe I would be TNG - but with the pause I only got 4-5”). Since I PRd every bench modality this training cycle I’m going to say in the grand scheme of things, nbd, trust the process, just keep working?? I'm thankful I can try these things at all, I know my grandmas at this age ( LOLOLOL. )

The hooded gym ninja: is it some kind of code, a hoodie worn with the hood up while training??
    'Staying in/leaving the pocket' - what does this mean? is it when your programming says 5@8 and you max out anyway??

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving!
    I can't wear a hood unless it raining. Took this week off from training myself. Letting a little back tweak and cranky shoulder rest. Besides I have been painting my house. Will start again next Monday with 3x3 metabolic WO for at least a month.

I have @10 on all lifts through dec 7. Idk if it’s important to try to pr or it’s rest or they figure it’s a holiday everything’s Willy nilly anyway so rest/test. I will press tomorrow which I haven’t been pushing so I don’t expect miracles.

What is a metabolic workout Jerry? Like metcons? I joined the new Retro gym today; cheaper, next door to work, same bs - no chalk no ladies bar but there are two platforms w bumpers and safeties and I’m not allowed to bring my own bar.

They have a “strong room” which has four hammer strength kinda power racks - w no safeties at all-owner said they train “strength people” class in it but leave it open for overflow of regular gym goers. I don’t get it. ???

They looked at me like I’m speaking Martian. I know it’s not a pl ing or Weightlifting gym I just wanted then to know I do things like that from time to time.

It’s back to striping my tights with chalk. Press there tomorrow. Hope I don’t scare the peeps like I did when I started at Golds 🤷🏼*
    Are you painting in or outside??

oh geeze you're in the NE Im guessing inside!!

BLOCK 19, WEEK 4, DAY 2
    11_30_19 Saturday
    at Retro. What the heck I get on the platform there's a high window sun right in my eyes!! My left eye is still watering. The bumpers are weird, they're like PLASTIC. Hammer strength bumpers.
    Press 87#
    Had 90 loaded, could have pressed but I didn't want that much layback.
    I've noticed my press is on one week, takes a week of not so great to get back to on.
    I can't wait to get back to normal programming - for some reason, during this "rest" period I'm tired AF. Take me a while to get used to the new surroundings (ultra sensitive).

Yes painting inside for sure.
    The metabolic workout is something written by Matt Brzezinski, a football coach. 3 lifts done with no rest between them.
    IE, a sqt bench press and pull down, done to failure. Then rest as little as possible and repeat 2 more times. Next WO a DL, press and some other pull. A HIT type workout. I need to get in better condition and j feel this will help.
    I know you where on Instagram but I lost your feed. Mine is BrooklynJerry
    If you get a chance check out liestner on Instagram, it Dr.Kens wifes page.Doc passed away in April but his wife is still running the training facility. Let me know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Yes painting inside for sure.
    The metabolic workout is something written by Matt Brzezinski, a football coach. 3 lifts done with no rest between them.
    IE, a sqt bench press and pull down, done to failure. Then rest as little as possible and repeat 2 more times. Next WO a DL, press and some other pull. A HIT type workout. I need to get in better condition and j feel this will help.
    I know you where on Instagram but I lost your feed. Mine is BrooklynJerry
    If you get a chance check out liestner on Instagram, it Dr.Kens wifes page.Doc passed away in April but his wife is still running the training facility. Let me know what you think.
    That workout sounds like crossfit - works very well getting you in shape. If you can post the liestner ig, know him but can't find on IG.
    I guess I will be better able to do my own cardio since its right almost next door to work now, but I still want a rower for home.
    And I'm realizing today that why 'my neck hurts' and so tired since day before Tgiving is swollen glands; now my throat is feeling weird and I'm sneezy and still tired; still fighting the ick - might have known work would mess with my test weeks after months of training, but it is what it is, I'll look at the grand scheme of things; can't force people to not cough/sneeze on you when they sit right next to you.

BLOCK 19, WEEK 5, DAY 2
    12_3_19 Tuesday
    SQUAT
    - Starting to recover. @Retro, hammer strength platform where a 1 step 'walk out' puts you past the safeties, wary about a dump 1st time there. No max, there'll be a next time. Retro has a 'black ops room', all black hammer racks and benches - no platforms or safeties in sight.
    Extremely pleased with how quickly 205 moved, best guestimate is 215 (last time I did what 190? time before that 200 or 205 - I remember both as a STRUGGLE).
    I have chiro Saturday, not sure about pulling Saturday before chiro or Sunday, that little tweak is still there. Joined a female FB lifting group, new block starts next week - and I'll probably go back to cutting a bit.
    Last edited by granny; 12-05-2019 at 09:20 AM.

BLOCK 19, WEEK 5, DAY 2
    12_8_19 Sunday

Deadlift - DOA!
    Between the chiro, the tiny tweak and the last of the cold. 240 felt heavy (Ive been pulling it from 2" deficit like its nothing.) 270 broke off the floor but would have been a 10 minute lift if it happened at all.
    I guess this did this just happen, months and months of training, hit prs in all lifts, get sick during the max out weeks can't lift anything. who does that? Even the Tgving turkey wishbone broke with a wish on neither side. (The wish is under my sofa somewhere)
    Now I have doubts about all training; IDK what else to do but just keep going.

Sometimes you need more recovery. I'm going to send a post to you from Instagram. A guy that's a BB said less training is helping him See what you think.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynJerry View Post
    Sometimes you need more recovery. I'm going to send a post to you from Instagram. A guy that's a BB said less training is helping him See what you think.
    THANK YOU I saw. Am I that old? I guess I am! I'm already cutting out a squat session a week and instead of going easy on session two, last cycle I pushed - and my squat moved, squatted more than I ever thought I would. Press was easy last night (EOS - every other session), squat sucked (prob deadlift max after chiro - sometimes I want to tell him don't touch my low back which was fine and now is kind of not). I squatted 175 and down sets. Def. underrecovered with the back, not legs.

The cold, the weather, slight back/hip strain, right knee is wonky again and I've slightly detrained + back to volume training + Retro = everything's different (platform's really sticky, diff bar heights & hooks, bumpers are LOOSE, WhoooaAAHHH!!!, benches are diff, mirrors all over), but in time I'll get comfortable and stop making excuses.

I DID meet a 30yo powerlifter who was benching 5x5 315# - came over said my squat was good and told me just ask him for a spot (how don't people know I'm 60? he hopes he'll be training at 60). So that's a positive (other people who actually train). And I met two other ladies (one who just started training in spring but her SO obviously trains) and one who is back after having a hip done and trying to get back to fit. I tried hanging a towel on the squat rack to hide the mirror (didn't quite work) and tried dumping (onto rack safties & black ops floor - both fine - so now I know I'm probably not going to die there but hey if I have to go, squatting is not the worst way). The Black Ops room, its hammer strength HALF RACKS with the pivot option (lever row?) on everything and no safeties anywhere - they say its for the STRONG training (you can get that for 103/month and they advertise it as 'state of the art' - they have an MEP Leaderboard in there; and the owner had no idea what his training director's qualifications are).
    I guess its typical.

Press: 85x1 @8, 75x5 @8, 65x5x2s
    CGBP: 90x8@6, 95x8@7, 100x5x2 (overshot @8 go figure!)
    Last edited by granny; 12-16-2019 at 06:51 AM.