starting strength gym
Page 131 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1721

Thread: Granny's Log (deb)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    BW177 (after eating)
    Feel very tired like I'm coming down with something yesterday afternoon into today, grandkids/DIL have been trading flu-like thing for weeks now (its not covid, they all already had it).
    Strength 1 Week 12 Day 2
    Comp Bench
    (set a 5 rep max) 108x5 @10 on IG
    INTERESTING (wanted 110, warmup didn't feel that strong, a gym friend spotted, I forgot to instruct him, IYKYK, tough to retighten, good call on the 108). Ima call that zombie spotting, grateful to get what I got. $12 leggings couldn't resist but so slide-y and slippy my poor butt wouldn't stick.
    95x5x4s @8.5, @8, @8.5, @8.5
    Comp Squat (technique) 130x3 @8?, 115x3 @6 perfect squats, set my knees and kept them there.
    Pendlay Row (10-12 @2 RIR) 85x10x2s, 85x9 all @2 RIR
    DB Press (2 RIR) 15sx12, x11, x10 @2RIR
    Tri Pushdown (2 RIR) 35x12,x8,x7 @2RIR
    Hammer Curl (2 RIR) 15sx12,x11,x11 @2RIR
    Trisetted press/pushdown/curl. Dead triceps.

PR....yes!! Great job even with the distraction!!

Ty. We’ll see if I can keep my weight down and recover.

�� rocket launch last night - awesome to watch!!! Just spectacular, could see everything from my yard.

Snatch bar work this am. What a reality check. Can hit the positions but don't have much strength in them. Oy. Years of work to do over.
    Last edited by granny; 09-16-2021 at 06:50 AM.

BW174
    Comp Deadlift (180) 180x4x3s @6.5, @7, @6.5
    (185) 185x4 @7
    TNG Bench(100-105) 105x5x4s @8,8,8.5,8.5
    SSB Squat (120-125) 125x5x2s @8, @8.5
    DB Lateral Raise (8 RPE)15sx5x2s @8
    BB Hip Thrust (2 RIR) 115x11,10,10 @2RIR
    Definitely feeling the accumulated fatigue; the app set my readiness at below avg across the board - probably because its the end of max week.
    Back to not as much food.

BW176
    Powerclean Practice
    No feet. Felt good to do them, an hour of really light doubles and triples. Ugly, but kind of funny. Lifted heels on a couple, forgot to turn elbows completely on others, timing is off so bar not quite where I'd like it, and slow as hell. I chalked the center bar after getting some practice in to make sure I got my lap. So much fun, yet so much lost, I still feel like crying over these. I wonder what the cost will be on Monday.
    NoFeetPowercleans

It was fun to watch you go through the progressions.

I wish I had learned them when I was younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    It was fun to watch you go through the progressions.

I wish I had learned them when I was younger.
    You’d probably still be tweaking/relearning. I don’t think they teach no feet anymore; it helps me establish leg drive vs extending/jumping (there’s no “jumping” per se in weightlifting)… next week I’ll drill pull finish (just up on toes - a panda pull), and try to remember elbows up/out first so the pivot isn’t my elbows. Catalyst and chad Vaughn - great teaching content.
    10,000 reps. Trying to get better.

I did the camp last month on PC and everyone got a good laugh at how completely inflexible my shoulders are, just could not get my elbows under and up. Only way I could come close was by doing my best Vasily Alekseyev and yanking it up to a deep front squat and then standing. Only I didn't then press the 500# over my head, oddly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    I did the camp last month on PC and everyone got a good laugh at how completely inflexible my shoulders are, just could not get my elbows under and up. Only way I could come close was by doing my best Vasily Alekseyev and yanking it up to a deep front squat and then standing. Only I didn't then press the 500# over my head, oddly enough.
    The SS camp? Cool! They teach it differently - seems to me their method is meant to stop you from picking up an arm pull, not sure if the hop thing is the best cue?
    (I've seen people TRY to "hop" consciously in the lift, but its at the wrong time - for me that kills power - their bar is forward, they think if they "slam" their elbows violently it'll fix the trouble racking. Never heard that before, slam elbows; I feel like lifted heels/moving your feet is usually a consequence of power, it is not the source of power; it comes AFTER and more helps you pull under faster? I remember gymmates telling me, once you "get" the acceleration...and it took me a looooong time bc the cue was pull the bar BACK TOWARD YOU, I kept thinking, wth it can't go back anymore its right against my legs, my legs are there - I didn't realize I had to pull my KNEES back, DUH - never videoed myself at that time. The no feet thing was HUGE for me in finally learning where the bar has to be, and what moves the bar UP (there's no sound I love more than the plates clinking when you contact at the right place/time). Who taught that camp? I'd probably go to it just to learn more (they'd probably say, everything you've learned is wrong!)

Do you think it's your shoulders, not the triceps or scapular/back area?? For me, loosening up my upper back helped a lot in the beginning.

starting strength coach development program
    Cody Annino was the coach, very nice guy, and it was in Moodus, CT, a place I had never heard of before that's way the heck on the eastern side of the state; took me 3 hours to drive there. Yeah they definitely want to eliminate the arm pulling, and get you to jump when the bar is what about a third of the way up the thigh. One thing that helped me was concentrating on almost stomping my feet on the landing, that made the whole movement crisper. I think it's the shoulders won't let the elbows go as high as they need to, but probably it's everything you mentioned as well