starting strength gym
Page 161 of 173 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 1721

Thread: Granny's Log (deb)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just so tired; IDK how this will play out; a week or so to get used to singles again. Every inch of me hurt after work last night, ugh - from toes to fingertips shoulders, neck, low back, knee niggle, all of it. Epsom salt bath last night.

Get to gym this am, the fully loaded plate rack's between two racks right UNDER where you would stand to...LOAD the plates.
    I go to get my plates for warmup, stand up, head hits the bar on neighboring rack knocking it off the pins... so now I'm like, good god.
    I am just gonna put this rack where I told them it should go (NOT up against mirrors that are still breaking from bumping them, NOT in the way of loading).
    So, I pick up the loaded rack and drag it out in front (where it would go between the platforms if they had platforms).

ok. good.

Turn around...every guy in there is staring with their mouth open. Yes I didn't unload/reload it...why not? bc it's unnecessary pile-it training on a day I'm tryna do singles??
    Then the chitter chat/whispering behind my back. Che! Were you scared? I finally said, you don't have to be afraid of me.

MY pronouns? I'd probably say Cheeto crusher. A lot of eople seem to be even pussier than I am.

W26 D1
    Comp Squat 185-190x1 (then it gave backoffs)
    185x1 @9 185x1 @9? I think the depth was ok.
    (Maybe I should get pissed by banging my head every time? PowerliftingNorthAmerica on Instagram: "Biggest Squat of The Day��
    [Lifter: Andrew Hause]

@the_american_pro_ put together a real show������

#powerlifting #espn #sports #gym #fullsend #deadlift #bodybuilding #football #ufc #motivation #fitness #lifting #sport #olympicweightlifting #olympics #wrestle"
    )
    155x1x3s @6.5 (unfortunately I didn't look at the last set so did 155, but bc 6.5 it was asking for 160 - had already taken my bar down)
    Deficit DB RDL this is new? 6-8x2s @7-8RPE (stood on a 25# and a 10#)
    40's-80x8x2s @7 RPE
    Leg Press 135x 3s @2RIR
    135x12 @2
    135x11 @2RIR
    135x11 @2RIR
    Front Plank! 3s ??
    1 minute x 3 @3-4 RIR (I could have done longer but trying to hurry to get out of the sr. strength and tone class way)

lol would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bingley View Post
    lol would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that!
    I'm a weirdo wherever I go, story of my life. The gym is a very strange place sometimes; we have people who train but a lot of the older people who attend when I train think that I am "very strong" LMAO

My one friend keeps saying, you can deadlift 170#??! Then he brags about me - "she can deadlift 170#!" (its a warmup for me - he doesn't know how to count the weight or what is possible. OTOH he is squatting and dl-ing again at 73, dr. cleared w/a heart issue, and he does it RIGHT - because I taught him; he says, DL and squats are HARD. yes. and much more bang for your training buck.

I just have to keep reminding him not to listen to bozos like the guy who told him he should do his squats* with the Trap DL Bar because under no circumstance should we do external/internal shoulder rotation, according to him some ways of moving our shoulders are "no-nos" '. [I could be wrong I'm not a biologist or a PT either?] But what are we saving it for? So people can comment upon death, 'he died with that prized shoulder - it's never rotated at all since he was 65!').

Another guy who says I'm strongest girl there; he'll say that guy is DL-ing 315; I'm like, thats good - for a girl. They don't know what is possible.

A 20's-30's girl powerlifter is training there now. I told these guys, I am a weakling, I am old, ask her but I would be pretty sure she's 150-200BN-250-300SQ-350-400DL and that is pretty decent/normal/achievable for powerlifters.

W26 D2
    Comp Bench
    115-120x1
    115x1 @9.5 - Tired.
    95x1 @7RPE with 2-3s pauses
    95x1 @6PPE
    100x1 @7RPE
    Pendlay Row 95x3s 2RIR - straps, blind grip, no body English at all trying to get a squeeze at the top
    95x8x2s @2RIR
    95x7 @2RIR
    Face Pulls 70#x3s @2RIR
    70x5 @2RIR
    70x6x2s @2RIR
    Elbow Out DB Extensions 20's3s @2RIR
    20sx8 @2RIR
    20sx5x2s @2RIR
    EZ Bar Curls 45#x3s @2RIR (straight bar, we don't have a 45 ez bar I discovered)
    45x7 @2RIR
    45x6 @2RIR
    skipped due to time - gotta get to work.

W26 D3
    Comp DL
    225-230x1x1
    230x1 @8.5 RPE
    190x2 @7RPR
    Looking good for 250 to go up next Sat/Sun. barring what usually happens (injury/soreness whatever). My precovid max was 265, we'll see.
    Right now we are taking up the old tile in the house and I am carrying spackle buckets out the back steps dumping them in the trailer.
    I'll say its a million times easier than last year, so I've def gotten stronger.
    DB Fly 4-6x2s 7-8RPE
    20sx6 @6.5
    20sx7 @7RPE
    DB RDLs 4-6x2s 7-8RPE
    50sx6 @7RPE
    50sx5 @7RPE
    Back Raise 35#x3s 2RIR
    35x8 @2RIR
    35x7x23s @2RIR
    So now it'll be all technique set sessions:
    Sunday, Mon - Recovery Adaptive Strategies, Tuesday, Wed - RAS, Thurs, Fri., with Sat as test day.
    Hope I can make it.

Everyone talking about the inflation (it doesn't affect them, or it does). Younger people say it doesn't affect them - they have (well, TIME and) savings that's invested, and assume everyone else has debts.
    Older people, so many of them on fixed incomes, are getting smacked, nothing to do with debt/bad decisions (well, maybe not realizing you needed to save 750,000+ at LEAST and get a certain % on it).

People are changing their plans (retiring at 65 this year bought/live in a motor home to travel, inflation/gas prices - plans up in smoke - will still travel but less extensively), or they retired but need to get jobs bc they can't make it, NOW; or their money/savings is definitely not going to last NOW. I also know couples who put all their assets in one persons name, divorced, and one went on medicaid to get the medical care they needed. They're telling me you'll be blackmailed into medicare, comes out of your SS - nothing is left for them to live on (house maintenance, roofs in Florida, even selling the house where could they afford to go?).

Meanwhile the government - oh, let's forgive student debt! so they can have houses! wth?
    (who's going to give a mortgage to someone who defaults on their student loan?) maybe just give every citizen $20k and call it a day... ?

Congress seems to be getting paid for dreaming up different ways of stealing even more money from the public. I could be wrong...

Whelp. The Demo Hammer and farmers carry of tile got me. It's only 800 sf but I'm a wreck today, yesterday was gym job (just cleaning putting stuff away signing people up nothing physically strenuous), maybe 5 hrs sleep last night; not sure how my SO did this all day every day (or jobs like it). Maybe we are too old.
    W26 D4
    Comp Squat Technique Sets
    155-165 x1
    160x1 @9? didnt look bad, felt like crap. I put 9 so I can recover.
    140x2x4s @7 RPE (felt good on my inner thighs)
    Comp Bench Technique Sets105-110x1
    105x1 @9? didnt look bad, felt like crap. I put 9 again so I can recover; just shoulders feel shot
    90x2x4s @7RPE
    Comp DL Technique Sets
    150-160x1-2rx3-8 sets
    150x2x3s @LOL
    Lat Pulldowns Technique Sets 8-10rx3-5s @4RIR
    70x8x3s @4RIR
    DB RDL Tech Sets 6-10rx2-3s @4RIR
    35sx8x2s
    Leg Extensions Tech Sets 6-10rx2-3s @4RIR
    65x6x2s @4RIR
    DB Lateral Raise Technique Set 10-15rx2-3s @4RIR
    10sx10x2s @3RIR
    LTE Tech Sets 10-15x2-3s @4RIR
    35x10x2s @4RIR
    Iso Hold Hammer Curls Tech Set 10-15rx2-3s @4RIR
    15'sx10x2s @4RIR
    I chose the least sets today since I'm shot from the tile work. Next 3 sessions are lighter technique sets, with a test day next weekend.
    I hope I can do it.
    Off to work in the sun. Jobs report (snort); this is my third job that just got counted as 'new jobs!' Its like he forgets being in office in 2008.

W27 D1
    Comp Squat Technique Sets
    115-125 x 3-5 sx 3r
    125x3x3s @7,7,7.5RPE
    Comp Bench Technique Sets 80-85 x 5s x 3-5r
    80x3x5s @6.5RPE
    Comp DL Technique Sets 150-160 x 3-8s x 1-2r
    150x2x3s @6 RPE
    Yesterday with the big pry bar and screw gun taking up some sub floor; glue PLUS 3.5" SCREWS and 3" nails.
    No matter how much I train my SO who does NO training other than construction work, is WAAAAyyyyy stronger than me. Everything hurts I'm so sore and soooo tired and fatigued. Maybe this is foolish, continuing, but que sera. In the long term I guess its meaningless.

My "friend" at gym today told me, he met the new powerlifter girl yesterday, and asked her DL PR.
    Him: "she said 210 is her pr right now; bwahahahahahaha!!!! That's less than YOU! a granny of seven!!"

Me (smh): "Dude. It's 210 K_E_Y_S."
    |
    |
    Kilos?
    |
    |
    |
    Kilograms?
    |
    |
    |
    |
    210x2.046 (or x2 add 10%).

and then all this mumble about isn't this America. ROFLMAO. IDK if he thought I was overestimating, I said, I TOLD you what normal is for young women powerlifting, wayyyyy more than Granny can manage (well some Grannies can manage it but it seems they are outliers with access to premier coaching on several levels and medical of all kinds, who are finished work-working).
    Last edited by granny; 08-12-2022 at 05:38 AM.

W27 D2
    I skipped this light workout yesterday due to I SLEPT pretty well but woke up with my low back/hip/hip flexor screwed up. Could barely walk. Had to foam roll lacrosse ball, its a tiny bit better/loosened up today. I'm fatigued anyway. I have a very light last session today, I work tonite. Will have to see. It is crazy (its also why I don't compete; do these older ladies competing etc - is it listed whether or not they're on replacement hormones? I'd be interested).

W27 D3 "wave the bar around"
    Squat 80x3x3s @6RPE
    Bench 60x3x3s @6RPE
    DL 85x3x3s @5.5RPE
    Tomorrow I test, whatever happens, happens.

And, the powerlifting people that joined my gym. He does programming, and runs platforms, The Full Send Initiative (@thefullsendinitiative) • Instagram photos and videos seems very knowledgable. I guess we'll see - if I can afford it w/crazy work schedules I may go that route after this. I was telling him today, I just am so beat by the workload and the training and that I just cut sets. We'll see.

starting strength coach development program
    Epsom Salt Bath helped a bit, the hip thing, IDK; the adductor is better but low back etc.

Mock Meet
    SQUAT 185 190 X195
    BENCH 110 115 X120
    DL 225 235 X245

As expected after upper body has been toast from the job. I'll have to be grateful. The squats felt great regardless of the hip. I was surprised at the miss at 195, I don't think it was strength, per se, gym trainer said its in my head, and he and someone else pointed out I dropped my chest - I did, but I was thinking SS - stay in the hips - left my chest behind. It certainly didn't FEEL that heavy with my legs, in fact I felt pretty recovered for squats after that light week. I thought that 195 was high/borderline anyway.

Bench has been a shitshow since my RC tweak; it hurt after 110; 115 and 120 were both misgrooves, I noticed in training lately I'm missing the touchpoint on my chest, maybe reaction to the shoulder pain idk. It hurts after daily activities, like work, IDK what to do about that. I also was on the icky bench that's hard to tighten yourself against, but I think I've just regressed some without the necessary volume. How can I strengthen my shoulder so no RC pain?

DL was ok, hip/low back thing didn't like it, 245 could barely break it off the floor and that was it (its the usual for me w/deadlifts I rarely miss above the knee)

I also forgot stress, I got a text last night my little grandson broke his collarbone, pretty bad complete fracture in two spots, may need pins, been pretty worried about him.

Kid next to me as I'm unloading DL - do you know if you put that little change plate under the big ones... I'm like, did you watch me load it? Why do you think I have it there?? (I taught THEM how to do that when I first came; I realize now I've been lifting longer than he's been alive. Maybe I AM too fucking old. He was like, YOU taught them? ugh.... I'm getting weaker)

And I am left with where to go from here.
    Powerlifting? Powerbuilding again (with what upper and lower body part emphasis - back? Shoulders? quads?)
    Try to pay for a coach? Use the app? Do a HLM? Not felt this lost with training in a long time.
    Last edited by granny; 08-14-2022 at 12:39 PM.