starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hills, Lifting and Food- BarbellEnvy's Journal

Default Hills, Lifting and Food- BarbellEnvy's Journal

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All,

I'm soon to be 35 years old and feel it's a great time to get back into shape.

A little background on me:
    - Overweight my whole life. (definitely not a hardgainer lol)
    - I have been lifting on and off since my early teens and started getting more into nutrition and fitness around 2008. From 2008-2010 I was in the best shape of my life, I was around 175lbs, felt strong, good energy and well rested. Fast forward to today (2017) I'm in the worst shape of my life, to make a long story short. I went on a up and down roller coaster with health and fitness and battling injuries. I believe most of my injuries (tendonitis, neck injuries) came from over training & high reps, basically beat up my tendons and joints. Battling these injuries were my downfall, I stopped training because it hurt to much and ate like crap.
    - I now stand at 5'7 215lbs (20%+ BF)

Now, Goals (Yearly):
    Weight training:
    Squat: 315x5
    Deadlift: 405x5
    Bench Press: 225x5 or 275x1

Cardio:
    Run 2 Tough Mudders in 2018.
    Run a local 2mile hike without resting.

Weight:
    175lbs 10% B/F

(I would like to get my current BF measured soon)

As far as my programming and diet goes.

Cardio: Run or Trailrun 1-2x per week. (could also sub in treadmill, stair master, long walks or rowing machine on lift days)

Weights: Currently on NLP SS. (stats on first post after 3 weeks in)

Diet: 2,000-3,000kcals (Currently on a cut and have been at 2k for the past two weeks without cardio. This might change in the next couple months.)

Over the last two weeks i have been using the SS app and trying to get back into the swing of things. I will post my latest workouts in a separate post.

Well, I hope you stick around for the fun and if you have a log and would like for me to check it out feel free to post it below.
    Last edited by BarbellEnvy; 10-03-2017 at 11:42 PM.

My last 3 NLP workout sets. These do not include warm up cardio or warm ups.

9/25/2017
    S: 135x5
    P: 95x5
    D: 135x5

9/27/2017
    S: 145x5
    B: 155x5
    D: 145x5

9/29/2017
    S: 155x5
    P: 100x5
    D: 155x5

Cardio

Casual walks with the dog for 2 miles each day.

I've noticed my press is pretty week and 100lbs is a bit heavy, I had really bad tendonitis in my right shoulder a few years back and had to get treatment. I might scale this back to 95lbs the next session as I broke form on 100 my last set. Also, BP is quite heavy at 155. Might keep it this next week and see if I was just tired that day.
    Last edited by BarbellEnvy; 10-03-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Today's Workout

Squat: 165x5
    Bench: 160x5
    Deadlift: 165x5

Workout Notes:

Today's workout was a bit odd, Couldn't get into the the rack until 6pm (normal workout is 7-8am), Had a busy business day. Still hit the weights but on very low calories.

Diet:
    Will edit this tomorrow as i'm not finished eating my meals yet. I only had 240 calories all day and its 7:30pm. Will try to stuff my face with some good protein, Carbs and Fats before bed.

Overall:
    Had a long busy desk day today, Not exactly what I had planned, but I guess life happens. Struggled to get proper macros in during the day so will be getting as much as I can get in before bed. Have a 2 mile hike tomorrow morning.

✌️

10/3/2017

WORKOUT

Screen Shot 2017-10-03 at 6.53.35 PM.jpg

Diet
    On track to hit 2k calories. Slightly higer carbs and around 150g protein.

Notes

Tested out some new trail running shoes and a GPS watch while running hills today. Cannot wait for tomorrows workout!

10/4/17

Squat: 175x5,5,5
    Press: 100x5, 95x4, 5 (Pushed up with whole body, not controlled)
    Deadlift: 175x5

Workout Notes:

Squats: felt good and controlled, Getting a little heavy.
    Press: Not controlled and heavy! (Deload?)
    Deadlifts: Felt great!

Diet:
    Diet was a little "here and there" didn't measure macros, but had a little cheat meal. Nothing extreme though.

Overall:
    Pretty good day, not to successful in the gym with my press and need to see what the next steps are for my press workouts.
    Last edited by BarbellEnvy; 10-06-2017 at 06:53 PM.

10/6/17

Squat: 185x5,5,5
    Bench: 165x5,5,5
    Deadlift: 185x5

Workout Notes:

Squats: felt good and controlled, Getting a little heavy.
    Bench: Starting to get heavy. Broke form a bit and started to use legs to get bar up
    Deadlifts: Felt great!

Diet:
    A bit out of the ordinary, Working on the house today so had a couple beers, tri-tip, candy bar mini's and fruit. (Probably around the 1500-2k calorie range)

Overall:
    Good lifting day and mediocre diet day. Will probably get a shake in before bed as I want enough calories to run tomorrow .
    Last edited by BarbellEnvy; 10-06-2017 at 07:23 PM.

10/9/17

Squat: 195x5,5,5
    Press: 100x5,5,5 (last rep: had to use body to get weight up)
    Deadlift: 195x5

Workout Notes:

Squat: Felt really good. Used new SBD knee sleeves definitely helped me get lower and out of the hole.
    Press: Needed some help on last reps. Used body to get weight up. Might consider doing one more week at 100 and if form is bad will go down to 90.
    Deadlifts: Felt great but losing grip. Had to do one over one under for last reps.

Diet:
    Still tracking at 2k.

Overall:
    Really impressed with my squats and the SBD knee sleeves, definitely helping my knees with stabilization and getting out of the hole. Diet is a little off on tracking but will be back on track.

10/11/17

Squat: 205x5,5,5
    Bench: 170x5,5,5
    Deadlift: 205x5

Workout Notes:

Squats: Struggling with 205lbs, A bit wobbly mid lift and resting more than usual in-between reps
    Bench: 1st set: Heavy, Half Reps, 2nd set: Half reps again, 3rd set: Half reps. Deload time?
    Deadlifts: Felt great! Really liking these lifts atm! Time to add in power cleans. Alternating.

Diet:
    Still hitting 2k, Taking in around 150-175g of protein. Probably should be getting around 200g

Overall:
    An ok training day. Lifts are starting to get heavier, Im also suffering from a pinched nerve in my neck, shoulder blade area ordered a rumble roller from rouge fitness to help.

10/13/17

Squat: 215x5,5,5
    Press: (check notes)
    Deadlift: 215x5

Workout Notes:

Squats: I thought I was pushing last week, this week was even worse. Really grinding out of the hole, noticed my legs starting to give a little in my knee area.
    Press: Notes during workout: 105x2, 95x2 Heavy, Bad Form, 95x4, 95x4. Bad form, Need Deload.. So im guessing I need a deload :P
    Deadlifts: Feeling good here. Getting a bit heavy now.

Diet:
    Haven't been counting the last couple of days. Trying to keep my protein up with adding extra protein when I can. Will get back on track with myfitnesspal on Monday or Sunday.

Overall:
    Honestly, This might be what I was missing all these years of lifting. I wasn't pushing myself as much as can and would always fall off or reset my workout. I'm starting to feel that struggle that comes with gaining strength while under the barbell.

starting strength coach development program
    10/14 & 10/15 Weekend

Had some travelling to do, so diet was a little off. Tried to keep it under control and good to have a much needed break form lifting for two days.

Will resume workouts on Monday and sticking to previous lifts and see how form is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast