Thread: Crockett turns 35

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    squat 185x5x3
    bench 160x5x3
    chin 3/3/2
    Airdyne :20/:20/:20

May have to put some tape on the bar, because there is no center knurling and it's slipping a bit. I should've paid attention to that when I was buying. Not even sure why Rogue sells non-oly bars without center knurling. Chins still not really advancing, as has been my experience. I typically only gain on chins if I focus very specifically on them or lose weight.

Airdyne destroyed me as usual. This time, I did 3 full intervals, rather than 2 full and 2 part. I feel like I'm not making progress. I don't think any physical activity has ever so violently disrupted my system. By the time I was done, my eyeballs were vibrating in their sockets, I felt like I was going to vomit (for an hour), and my body wanted nothing more than to curl up in a ball, motionless in the dark, to die. So ya know, lookin' forward to next week!

squat 195x5x3
    bench 165x5x3
    chin 3/3/3

I really need to get sticky tape for the bar. I know that's going to really bug me as the weight gets heavy. Finally got a third rep on the final set of chins. I may have to adjust the programming there. I'm sure I need more volume. I want to try doing HIIT on off days; we'll see how that goes.

press 120x5x3
    deadlift 245x5

Working very hard on deadlift form while the weight is light. I'm sure, like many people, I don't keep my hips high enough. You really have to fight for that correct starting position! Though much easier when the weight is heavy, because you can pull your shoulders back against the weight of the loaded bar. Presses are 1.0 style, though paused at the bottom like 2.0.

squat 205x5x3
    bench 170x5x3

Got hockey stick tape for the bar; worked great! Everything still moving pretty smoothly. I'm gradually widening my bench grip, and I think it's close to where it ought to be. I've always had a pretty narrow grip, because I feel a wide grip kills some power out of the bottom, but we'll see how this goes. Busy week this week, so I think no chins or cardio. Just the basics.

press 125x5x3
    deadlift 265x5

Press probably felt better than last time. Starting to get closer to press 2.0 now, with a little hip movement at the start. Probably not as pronounced as they recommend. But in any case, pausing reps at the bottom. Deadlift felt great. Will probably add another 20 lbs. next week.

The Airdyne KILLED me. When I first bought the thing back in late October, I tried out some short bursts of high-intensity - maybe 5 seconds or so. It seemed too easy, and I was worried it wouldn't produce the same effect as the rower or the prowler. Holy shit was I wrong. Twenty second intervals on that thing are tougher than rower, prowler, and hill sprints, at least in my experience. I spent a FULL HOUR trying not to puke, and I didn't even do 4 full intervals. The aim is eventually 8, and then adding a second day per week. For now, I'll do one day, and try to add intervals as becomes possible. Hopefully 4 full intervals is possible next time. Lord.
    That's the truth! I've been using a Concept2 rower for about 13 years--I like it a lot. My wife picked up a used airdyne a few months ago so I thought I'd switch things up and try some intervals on it. Same experience as you: Dead after three 20 second intervals with 2:20 rest! Just couldn't continue--much tougher than the rower. I've been doing steady state stuff on the airdyne for a couple of months now twice a week, trying to gather the courage to try more intervals.

squat 215x5x3
    bench 175x5x3

Focusing on perfect form while squat weight is still low. Was pretty low-energy and underslept today. Bench wasn't anywhere close to failure, but it is getting tougher. No surprise there, since my all-time best 3x5 is 205.

Quote Originally Posted by codger View Post
    That's the truth! I've been using a Concept2 rower for about 13 years--I like it a lot. My wife picked up a used airdyne a few months ago so I thought I'd switch things up and try some intervals on it. Same experience as you: Dead after three 20 second intervals with 2:20 rest! Just couldn't continue--much tougher than the rower. I've been doing steady state stuff on the airdyne for a couple of months now twice a week, trying to gather the courage to try more intervals.
    Haha yes. After the Airdyne, I don't just feel exhausted, I feel positively ill. I skipped it the last two weeks, but will pick it up again next week.

squat 225x5x3
    bench 180x5x3

Will do 185 on bench next time, but probably 2.5 lb. jumps after that. Since I have my own weights, I can make precise adjustments like that.

247.1 lbs.
    40.75"

starting strength coach development program
    deadlift 285x5
    press 130x5x3

On a whim, reversed the order.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast