starting strength gym
Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Adam Skillin's Minimalist Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I love minimalist training, have for almost thirty years. It's how I built 90% of the strength I have.

And the older you get the more you need it, although I suspect you are a fairly young buck.

how are you doing it? just a top set then a couple of back offs and let the reps run down?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Demand for my time is just very high in all the right ways (personal and professional).
    This almost makes me feel bad for being one of the demanders. Almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    I love minimalist training, have for almost thirty years. It's how I built 90% of the strength I have.

And the older you get the more you need it, although I suspect you are a fairly young buck.
    Definitely. For me, I know I could do better with some more drawn-out sessions including a degree of focused variant and accessory work at this point, but I have to try and pick the low-hanging fruit for at least the next little while. I'll be 36 next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    how are you doing it? just a top set then a couple of back offs and let the reps run down?
    I have the 8 weeks fully written out with all the weights and reps already determined, consisting of 1 top set and a defined number of backoff sets across. I don't have it right here in front of me, but I think it's 3 weeks of 8's and 4's, then switches to 6's and 3's. I'll likely have to make some adjustments along the way. I plan to keep tonnage going up as much as possible at the beginning, even if that means making the backoffs lighter or doing more sets of fewer reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Tae View Post
    This almost makes me feel bad for being one of the demanders. Almost.
    You have absolutely nothing to even contemplate feeling bad about. You are doing awesome. Just keep putting in the level of effort you have been all along.

1/6/18:

Did not get to do anything remotely approximating my scheduled workout. Performed this in my living room, using my wife's equipment, which is insufficient for my needs. Also the schedule was extra wack this week.

3-count paused high bar squats: 235x4x4 I still hate absolutely everything about having a barbell up there squishing my traps.
    Press: 135x8, 125x8x3 not real hard at all.
    Speed deadlifts: 235 for 10 doubles EMOM I'm not so good at doing anything fast.

1/8/18:

Back at the real gym

Squat: 325x8, 305x8x2
    Bench: 210x8, 200x8, 200x7 (should have rested longer), 185x5, 185x4
    Chins: 2x10
    LTE: 80x10x2

Got some tonnage in, a serious arm pump, and a pretty good story for the "Joined a New Gym" megathread. Calling it a success.

I'll be 36 next month.
    Yeesh...you're younger than my youngest!

You have nothing but gains to look forward to for decades!

Welcome back, my friend. Great numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldster View Post
    Yeesh...you're younger than my youngest!

You have nothing but gains to look forward to for decades!
    Thanks, man. I hope you're right!

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Welcome back, my friend. Great numbers.
    Thanks, my man. How's life treating you?

1/10/18:

Press: 140x8, 130x8x2
    High-bar squat (super easy): 12x{135, 155, 175}
    Floor press (first time ever, took it pretty easy): 155x6x3

Went into this workout still very DOMS-ey from Monday, especially in the upper body. Had trouble finishing the shrug on the presses until I got to the top set. Never did floor press before (but there's no bench in my living room/wife's gym, so I had limited options for a bench variant), and I realized quickly that I have a pretty pronounced tendency for my right elbow to touch the floor well ahead of my left, so that's something I'll work on and hopefully straighten out my full bench press in the process. Back to the commercial powerlifting gym on Friday.

starting strength coach development program
    If you followed my Instagram, you'd already know none of this, because I don't know how to use Instagram.
    That's good stuff, right there.

Page 2 of 53 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast